Re: Railroad watches

texaszephyr

For what it’s worth almost all time zone changes were established at crew change points. These could and did change locations from time to time but if you closely look at a map you can see how they tried to set up division points and crew changes to match the time changes.

Texline, Texas on the FW&D and C&S being a good example.

TZ

On Sep 28, 2022, at 9:22 PM, KK5QQ via groups.io <Kk5qq@...> wrote:

In the early days of railroad operations, there was great emphasis (for obvious reasons) on operating personnel carrying very accurate watches.  But nowadays just about everybody has a cellphone, digital watch or whatever that displays time with extreme accuracy.  (However I suppose they could get confused if the bearer is almost exactly on the dividing point between two time zones.)  Might I assume that the proliferation of digital devices led to elimination of the mechanical-watch requirement?

Irv Smith