Re: Lots of coal in the US!!

Everett Lueck

Welsh coal is what we would call a semi-anthracite or high rank bituminous coal.  It is coal of what they call the Carboniferous age in Britain, and we call Pennsylvanian age over here.  That period lasted from about 300 MMBP to 275 MMBP.  Wyoming coal is Cretaceous in age, which ran from 145 MMBP to 66 MMBP.  Wyoming coal ranges from the worst sub-bitimnous (the UPRR Hanna Mines) to the low rank bituminous (Power River Basin) coal.  It does not have a high heat value and has a high ash content, but it is popular because of its low sulfur content as opposed to Pennsylvanian coals from the rest of the US.

West Virginia, Illinois and Pennsylvania coals are most closely related to Welsh coal in the US..

On Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 10:18:53 AM CDT, survivingworldsteam via groups.io <survivingsteam@...> wrote:

The British steam locomotives ran mostly on Welsh coal.  It is a hard coal with a higher heat content and less ash than the coal you find in North America.

It allowed a smaller firebox than typical North American locomotives, and they wouldn’t run well on most U.S. coal. Wyoming basin coal may be the only exception.