Re: Truck rules

Bill Wasinger

"This truck appeared to be hauling cars for individuals not a dealer as they appeared to be used vehicles"

Not necessarily, as many dealers now rely on auto auctions for used car supply in addition to trade-ins. Not unusual to see auto haulers carrying loads of disparate makes and models on their way to one dealer…

BW

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! Oklahoma - Our tornadoes go to F6!

On Sunday, October 17, 2021, 03:23:29 PM CDT, Mike Murray <mikemurray6044@...> wrote:

There is a new one on the northbound side just before Marietta. I do not remember it but you can see it on Google Maps. Again if he exited in Thackerville, to get on 77 he would not have had to cross the tracks. The news reports says, near Thackerville, so not sure where that crossing where the accident happened would have been. This truck appeared to be hauling cars for individuals not a dealer as they appeared to be used vehicles. He may have had to deliver a vehicle to a residence down that road. Whatever the reason, he made a mistake.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 2:31 PM Steve Goen <texaszephyr@...> wrote:
Mike, the scale is on I-35 between Marietta and Thackerville, probably not more than 2 miles away from the wreck.

TZ

On Oct 17, 2021, at 1:18 PM, Mike Murray wrote:

texaszephyr
10:54am   #159128

Mike,

What are the rules, fines, etc for a commercial truck driver to exit off a highway and take back roads to avoid a truck check point/weigh station?

I do not think the truck was avoiding a scale. The scale is a way up on the other side of the Arbuckles. If you look at a google map of Thackerville. The railroad is on the west side of the old highway 77. If he was going to run up highway 77 he would not have needed to cross the tracks. There is only one exit for Thackerville and if he exited there and went across the tracks that would be no problem there. There is an elevated crossing north of Thackerville but there would be no need to cross the tracks there to go up highway 77. I am not sure what the crossing was where the train hit the truck. I am also not sure of his reason to cross the tracks there.

I am not sure what the fine would be for bypassing a scale. How could you prove that driving down a highway was to avoid a scale? And auto racks are not designed to be overweight.