Re: Big Boy Running Speed

Everett Lueck

Since Ed took over the steam program, neither 844, 3985 or now 4014 have run anywhere near at track speed.

On Tuesday, August 10, 2021, 09:31:37 PM CDT, Barton Jennings <be.jennings3009@...> wrote:

I haven't seen it yet on this trip, but in the past through several states, I never saw 4014 at track speed. They really have a tendency to slow down going through towns where crowds are lining the right-of-way. I could generally get photos several times between planned stops by using roads away from the tracks to get around the pacers. The schedules also show an average speed of about 30mph.
Bart

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 8:54 PM Shane G. Deemer <shanedeemer@...> wrote:
Like many others, I'll be out chasing the 4014 this week.

Does she run at timetable freight speed or take a more leisurely approach? How closely does it stick to the published timetable?

Thank you for this and any other chasing advice you may have.