Re: Depots in Natchitoches LA

Everett Lueck

I don't think that we are trying to challenge anyone.  I am just saying that my experience with the former NPS director up there is that she is very much into trying to get it right.

On Friday, July 23, 2021, 11:51:09 AM CDT, Skip Waters <wgcrush@...> wrote:

I don't think we are trying to challenge any one person on the facts.  If NPS can produce the evidence there is a 4th depot in play, let hear about it?

I personally searched the entire area and nothing suggests there is a four depot in play (except a freight depot, which were many).  Of course, if there is, that would be exciting to learn about and go visit the original site along with any photographs that may exist.

What I believe has actually happened is the assumption that T&P had built some temporary station because they list Natchitoches as a stop.  When actually, they shared a depot and made a connection with  L&NW.  The Amulet Street depot shows tracks and a wye connecting T&P and L&NW lines together.

But, hey, bring it on NPS... let's see what they have to offer?

Attended Northwestern State University 1982-87
Visits Natchitoches often as I still have friends there.

Skip Waters
Dallas, Texas

On Friday, July 23, 2021, 09:50:01 AM CDT, Everett Lueck <elueck@...> wrote:

Either is possible but since the Tap reached Nachitoches before any other carrier, it should have had the first depot.  The person in charge of the research for the NPS at Cane River was Laura Gates, who is now on our board at SFHM.  Knowing her as well as I do and her long associations with railroad historians, I would put money on what the NPS says.  Laura is very much about getting things correct.

On Friday, July 23, 2021, 09:02:21 AM CDT, Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

I'll counter that there have been four, just as the NPS suggests.

We'll see what they say.