Re: Who writes titles and captions for these photos?

texaszephyr

Application, not apple.

On Jul 22, 2021, at 8:41 AM, Steve Goen <texaszephyr@...> wrote:

Sadly it’s not just at museums and libraries. Here in Wichita Falls the city caught wind of free Federal money if we had a depot or historical district. So they hired an outside consultant to help with the history.

What they came up with was:

1. The Wichita Valley was one of the Kemp & Kell Railroads

2. Our Union Station was the “Union Pacific depot”

3. The Route Building was the Kemp & Kell depot

All 3 points were terribly incorrect and as the museum director at the WFRRM at the time I tried to get the information corrected.

Unfortunately all this did was put a great big target on me and the others in the museum at the time.

The apple was submitted, chalked full of mistakes and misstatements and the money began to flow in.

Sad to think that tons of incorrect facts are now part of the official record.

TZ

On Jul 22, 2021, at 7:28 AM, Barton Jennings <be.jennings3009@...> wrote:

Having written a number of books and lots of academic articles, I can tell you that I never trust captions and materials. Many are wrong, written by local volunteers who often guess or go by local legend. A few examples I have recently researched.
[1] A small town in Oklahoma that boomed during the oil years that claims to have had the most railroad side tracks of any town between Memphis and Amarillo (forgot about Little Rock and others?). Valuation and track charts clearly show the answer.
[2] A photo of a 4-6-2 pulling a 3-car passenger train, and the caption claims that this was one of the largest steam locomotives ever built.
[3] A claim that Jesse James held up a series of trains in the area, years after he was dead.

Bart Jennings

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 9:27 PM Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:
So many photos in collections, libraries, and museums have misleading information!
Pecos High Bridge not a bridge at El Paso!