Re: CBS UP Steam Story

Liz Flint

CBS used to feature a guy named Roger Welsch from Dannebrog, Nebraska on the Sunday morning show who managed to feature the UP steam in his segments several times.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: texaszephyr
Sent: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 8:43 PM
To: setphasers2kill@...
Cc: Railspot
Subject: Re: [Railspot] CBS UP Steam Story

I think you’re 100% correct. It was Charles Kuralt and I seem to recall that it was the annual River City Roundup steam special.

TZ

On Apr 6, 2021, at 6:38 PM, Brian T via groups.io <setphasers2kill@...> wrote:

Several years ago at 24 Hours @ Saginaw (by the way Skip, where we at?), there was a filler presentation in between slide shows of a CBS Special, at least I think it was CBS, about UP's Steam Program.  Heck I think it might have been 844/4 or 3985 back then.

Anyways, the UP steam locomotive was pulling some passenger cars full of kids.  I wanna say it was somewhere between Cheyenne and Omaha, because I believe it was on the triple track main.  Freight trains were highballing right past 844/4Steve Lee was interviewed at the shops, running the train, around the train, etc.

I want to say it was narrated by the late, great Charles Kuralt.  I dunno, I got nostalgic today and for some reason I thought of Charles Kuralt's "On the Road" series, and I remembered this program.

Dies anyone remember this program?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.