Re: New railcam in RS territory

Tom Roise

You now have a new job!!!!

Save that cam!!!

Tom Roise

On Oct 26, 2020, at 1:01 PM, Skip Waters <wgcrush@...> wrote:

Saginaw has one... or HAD one... actually, I don't know the status of it since the Chamber moved out of the depot and Covid set in.  But, there was a cam at Saginaw a year ago for sure.

Skip Waters
Dallas, Texas

On Monday, October 26, 2020, 09:55:39 AM CDT, Jim King <jgking@...> wrote:

I’m more partial to rural locations with trains moving at speed. Saginaw might be pretty good. I don’t know enough about the traffic at Temple.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 9:40 AM
To: Jim King
Subject: RE: [Railspot] New railcam in RS territory

Good Mornin Guy’s! How about Saginaw and Temple?

Dan

Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 8:45 AM
To: RS-TALON@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Railspot] New railcam in RS territory

One of the great things about Big Sandy is the nature of the junction provides a variety of trains and movements, including the use of connecting tracks. You also get to see trains at track speed, and there is sufficient traffic to maintain interest, including the occasional Amtrak. To my thinking, these factors are the key components of a good location for a VR camera. So…based on track speeds, train variety, frequency, connecting movements and Amtrak, what other sites in RS territory would offer this combination? I’ll offer….

Milano – a junction of two different railroads with trains moving at speed with adequate frequency; but no connecting tracks or Amtrak

Rosenberg – three different railroads, Amtrak, frequency; not sure about connecting tracks or track speeds

How ‘bout a camera on the Pavilion at Flatonia?

Other suggestions? If we found the right location, we might have enough Railspotters to raise the funds to get it going.

--jk

Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 11:30 PM
To: mardechris@...
Cc: bwasinger@...; Dennis Hogan; Skip Waters; RS-TALON@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Railspot] New railcam in RS territory

Never knew big sandy had a camera ??

I used to railfan there every week ten years ago when I covered East texas

Tom Roise

On Oct 25, 2020, at 3:40 PM, mardechris via groups.io <mardechris@...> wrote:

$4,000 to $5,000 are their estimates for installation.  We have discussed a couple of locations on the Depot and near the Ginocchio for cameras.  It is $3,000 a year to keep the cameras free after the first year.  They will still be available to the paying VR customers if you choose not to pay that cost.  

I feel this would be a huge benefit to the Marshall Depot Museum and the local area.  The data for the first five weeks of cameras at Big Sandy is impressive.  

-Total Views: 637,800

-Total Hours Watched: 88,000 (10 years!) 100+ Viewers at any given moment.

Plus, I have seen comments from many people who have gone to visit Big Sandy who would have not visited without the Virtual Railfan cameras and website bringing attention to them.  

Marde

On Oct 25, 2020, at 12:36 PM, bwasinger@... wrote:

According to the VR site, sponsoring an existing cam on their platform runs $3500 a year and sponsoring a new camera runs $5,000 a year.

That said, I saw the Dunsmuir, CA Depot is doing their own railcam stream, though I have no idea how much it costs to put your own stream on YouTube.

Another, more affordable option would be a Google Nest outdoor cam and purchase of a Nest Aware subscription (which is $10/month I think). One could then host that stream on their own site (though it would lack the viability of a YouTube stream).

Bill in OKC

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! Oklahoma - Our tornadoes go to F6!

On Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:51:50 AM CDT, Skip Waters <wgcrush@...> wrote:

What kind of costs are we talking about?

Skip Waters

Dallas, Texas

On Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:37:46 AM CDT, mardechris via groups.io <mardechris@...> wrote:

I am working really hard to get Virtual Railfan cameras at Marshall.  Unfortunately, the museum can’t afford to host these so we need sponsors.  

Marde

On Oct 25, 2020, at 8:50 AM, Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

Good to know about this one!
There are also Virtual Railfan cameras at Texarkana, Big Sandy, Tower 55 (Ft. Worth) and Belen--all in Railspot territory.

Until the SOUTHWEST CHIEF went tri-weekly I used to watch the railcam at La Plata MO in the evening about 7:30.

Join RS-TALON@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.