Re: New railcam in RS territory

Tom Roise

Valid points. I’m still waiting for my first train in Big Sandy.

Tom Roise

On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:56 AM, Jim King <jgking@...> wrote:

I’ve seen the camera at T55. Some may love it but it doesn’t do much for me. Too much distraction with all the freeway traffic, no track speed, and I don’t like the camera placement. At Big Sandy, I like the fact that you can listen for the distant horns and look for the headlights of approaching trains. At Tower 55, not so much…

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Tom Roise via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 8:49 AM
To: Jim King
Cc: RS-TALON@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Railspot] New railcam in RS territory

You left out tower 55. I believe there may be one there, but it is $ wall protected??

Tom Roise

On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:45 AM, Jim King <jgking@...> wrote:

One of the great things about Big Sandy is the nature of the junction provides a variety of trains and movements, including the use of connecting tracks. You also get to see trains at track speed, and there is sufficient traffic to maintain interest, including the occasional Amtrak. To my thinking, these factors are the key components of a good location for a VR camera. So…based on track speeds, train variety, frequency, connecting movements and Amtrak, what other sites in RS territory would offer this combination? I’ll offer….

Milano – a junction of two different railroads with trains moving at speed with adequate frequency; but no connecting tracks or Amtrak

Rosenberg – three different railroads, Amtrak, frequency; not sure about connecting tracks or track speeds

How ‘bout a camera on the Pavilion at Flatonia?

Other suggestions? If we found the right location, we might have enough Railspotters to raise the funds to get it going.

--jk

Sent from Mail for Windows 10