Re: Railspot Rarity #14
Surviving remnants [source: Wikipedia]
The mainline of the OCR is on the west side of highway 75 as it enters town. At the south edge of town, a wye curved to the east to service mine No. 8. The tracks curved west sharply at the north edge of town and passed between two mine pits on a narrow patch of unexcavated ground.
Ada was reached by a 1.2 miles (1.9 km) long spur that left the mainline near the present location of the US-177 junction. The depot at Ada still stands on the west end of town.
The Stratford depot is still standing on S. Hyden and is used as the city hall.
From the south end of Byars Cemetery a large wooden trestle over a creek is still intact. The line passed directly behind the cemetery and curves to the north about 1 block west of it. North of town, the great earthworks that carried the OCR main line over the Santa Fe are still visible, including some cut off trestle pilings.
Buried in the woods behind a large metal industrial building are the remains of the bridge approaches over Walnut Creek. This wooden bridge was washed out by a flood at an unknown date. The only stretch of surviving OCR main line is in place across the street to the north of this, a single switch and hundred feet or so of track. The switch was the interchange wye with the Santa Fe's Purcell yards; after 1934 this was the only way OCR trackage was accessed to the West. As of 2015, this too has been removed and only the ties remain overgrown by trees.
The original depot was located between 13th and 14th on Main Street (present day 5th and 6th street and main) according to the Sanborn Map Company Feb, 1926. There are no remnants of the depot today.
The excellent two story brick depot and offices are intact and presently being used by the Chickasha newspaper on the north side of town. The OCR crossed the present-day UP and BNSF diamonds at an angle from the southeast and backed into the station.