From: RS-TALON@groups.io [mailto:RS-TALON@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerard Kelley via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2020 8:48 PM
To: tomroise@...; panhandlerails@...
Cc: rs-talon@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Railspot] Trains on the Hereford Sub August 1&2

Howdy

While I am sticking close to home and taking care of cleaning up my various collections and closets I have been consolidating my photos prior to organizing them. I haven't been been very active really since slides passed into another technology lost to progress. Digital is a little easier to sort and store but I don't have the hands for good stuff anymore.

But I get a smile when I can catch a train as opposed to an engine shot and if there are signals and other rail facilities that smile gets big. You caught some nice ones.

Early in Railspot history we had a discussion about how to improve taking pictures and I seem to recall Jimmy Barlow summarize the discussion with a list something like a bow saw, loppers, and as tall a step ladder that you could fit in your vehicle. Oh, and others suggested high ground, a bridge over the tracks even a wide bend. I have taken photos in the panhandle but sometimes they seem like a grain elevator or part of one with a train in it. Nathan you have a great lense work the long view and the backgrounds and f.regrounds . You might consider the high ground at that bridge if accessable and safe. Cropping or editing the image before posting can also be effective. I like the images in your string with people and the Amtrak trains. The right people acting naturally with context  also adds a lot.

Nice work.

G. Kelley

Arlington Tx