From: Ron Roman [mailto:ronaf5as@...]
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 1:14 PM
To: Tom Roise <tomroise@...>; Edwin Cooper via groups.io <edwin_c_cooper@...>
Cc: Steve Goen <texaszephyr@...>; Railspot Forum <RailSpot@...>; Gerald Hook <gah333br@...>; panhandlerails@...; Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...>; Texoma Railfans List <texomarailfans@...>; rs-talon@groups.io; Everett Lueck <elueck@...>
Subject: Re: [Railspot] Cotton belt open hoppers

When did the RR’s get rid of the Wooden Coal Cars and favor the Steel ones…
I’m trying to remember that, I want to say in the 50’s for the majority.

I know back east from a talk at a railroad club meeting (went as a guest wit a friend who was a member), they had a speaker and he was saying in the late 40’s to early 50’s was the change overs, it was due to end of WWII, they wanted more Cap and Wght per car, they were even getting longer too (And we know how that is now!).

Back east they was still getting coal loads of several cars to Coal and Oil Fuel place near me.
Even some businesses still used coal for power/heat at the plants… till the late 70’s early 80’s when Nat’l Gas was piped in, or, even Comm’l Power was strung up into them.
Old Plants did things till it was easier and cheaper most likely to do so.

Cool little thread here.

73’s,
Ron R AF5AS
Altus, OK