Re: Chicago questions

Barton Jennings

It was the station tracks they used - no station, no passenger trains, no need for the tracks....

To: "RS-TALON" <rs-talon@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2020 10:04:25 AM
Subject: Fw: [Railspot] Chicago questions

Sad they have removed the NEW YORK CENTRAL tracks. Hate to hear this

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: Barton Jennings <b.jennings@...>; RS-TALON <rs-talon@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 12:39:46 PM CDT
Subject: Re: [Railspot] Chicago questions

Sad they have removed the NEW YORK CENTRAL tracks. Hate to hear this. 

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 04:55:12 PM CDT, Barton Jennings <b.jennings@...> wrote:

16th Street is where the Rock Island and New York Central ran north/south and the St. Charles Air Line and IC (Chicago, Madison & Northern, CM&N)  ran eastish/westish. The 1901 tower still stands today, but the NYC tracks have been removed and the RI tracks are now owned by Metra. The IC is owned by CN, and the Air Line is owned by CN (50% because IC acquired Michigan Central's share) + UP (25%) + BNSF (25%).

Check out....http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2015/06/interlocking-16th-street-rinycic.html

There is a good discussion here on it that includes several drawings and diagrams.

Bart Jennings

To: "RS-TALON" <RS-TALON@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 4:14:07 PM
Subject: [Railspot] Chicago questions

I realize that this isn't RS related except for the fact that the two roads in question did come to Texas. So hopefully someone can answer these before I get shot.

Q1. There used to be a building next to Dearborn Street Station that featured a large "Lee Work Clothes" billboard painted on the south side of the building. It shows up in a lot of Santa Fe Texas Chief photos taken at Dearborn. Does anyone know the name of the building as if its still there today (billboard included)?

Q2. There is an interlocking tower at 16th Street in Chicago that has (or had) about 12 diamonds. The north south line (4 sets of tracks) is the former Rock Island and possibly someone else as well. Does anyone know what railroads crossed on the three east-west tangent lines there? My bet is that it was two different lines. I need current and previous operators of all lines that passed the 16th Street Tower during the 1970s.

Thanks!

TZ

Join RS-TALON@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.