From: Jim King <jgking@...>
To: Dennis Hogan <denmeg_hogan@...>; RS-TALON@groups.io <RS-TALON@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 25, 2020 09:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Railspot] Belt Jct. -- Hodge

Zlatkovich’s book lists 1882 as the date that the Ft. Worth and Denver City built between “Hodge Junction” and Wichita Falls (110.3 miles). Presumably this “Hodge” was the “old Hodge” – the one that shows up on the 1920 Niles City map and the 1889 Tarrant County map, and is listed in the T&P 1925 station list – not the “new Hodge” in the 1954 SSW timetable.  Zlatkovich also says it wasn’t until 1890 that the FW&DC built a 5.66-mile segment from Hodge to Ft. Worth. What do we make of this info?

I presume that the FW&DC started (building north from Ft. Worth) at “old Hodge”, rather than downtown, and negotiated to use the T&P/ Joint Track (which had reached Ft. Worth in 1880) to enter downtown. The Cotton Belt line into Ft. Worth was built in 1888, and would have crossed the FW&DC at “new Hodge”. In 1890, the FW&DC built their own track from “new Hodge” to downtown via the North Ft. Worth junction that became Tower 60, paralleling (and remaining on the north side of ) the Cotton Belt. Did they retain the connecting track between “new Hodge” and “old Hodge” at that time? When did FW&DC remove this track (and with it, the Cotton Belt crossing at “new Hodge”?)

--jk

Sent from Mail for Windows 10