Re: Belt Jct. -- Hodge

Jim King

Zlatkovich’s book lists 1882 as the date that the Ft. Worth and Denver City built between “Hodge Junction” and Wichita Falls (110.3 miles). Presumably this “Hodge” was the “old Hodge” – the one that shows up on the 1920 Niles City map and the 1889 Tarrant County map, and is listed in the T&P 1925 station list – not the “new Hodge” in the 1954 SSW timetable.  Zlatkovich also says it wasn’t until 1890 that the FW&DC built a 5.66-mile segment from Hodge to Ft. Worth. What do we make of this info?

I presume that the FW&DC started (building north from Ft. Worth) at “old Hodge”, rather than downtown, and negotiated to use the T&P/ Joint Track (which had reached Ft. Worth in 1880) to enter downtown. The Cotton Belt line into Ft. Worth was built in 1888, and would have crossed the FW&DC at “new Hodge”. In 1890, the FW&DC built their own track from “new Hodge” to downtown via the North Ft. Worth junction that became Tower 60, paralleling (and remaining on the north side of ) the Cotton Belt. Did they retain the connecting track between “new Hodge” and “old Hodge” at that time? When did FW&DC remove this track (and with it, the Cotton Belt crossing at “new Hodge”?)

--jk

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:27 PM
To: RS-TALON@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Railspot] Belt Jct.

Let me throw in some more information that might clarify or muddle this whole quest.
I suspect there might be confusion from the use of the names Hodge, Hodge Jct., and Hodge Yard.

This 1889 topographic map shows the community of Hodge where the FW&DC connected with the T&P/MKT:
http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/texas/txu-pclmaps-topo-tx-fort_worth-1889.jpg
The FW&DC crosses the Cotton Belt just north of there but the crossing has no name.

A 1925 T&P List of Stations indicates the following on the Denton Division:
235.46   Watauga
238.23   StLSW crossing (telegraph)
240.05   Hodge
241.20    Belt Jct. (with Ft Worth Belt)(telegraph)
               North Ft. Worth
This is the first time I've realized that Hodge designated a location on the T&P (Joint Line).
Now Belt Jct. shows up on a 1920 map Pete Charlton sent me years ago.  (See attachment.)

Now let's look at a 1954 StLSW ett #1 (Southern Division/Ft. Worth Sub):
622.31   Smithfield
              T&P crossing
627.73    Swestern
630.20    Hodge (Yard)
632.15    Tower (crossing with FW&DC, CRI&G, FtWB, and GC&SF)
634.84    5th St. Station (Ft. Worth)
[Instruction 10-C says Swestern, Hodge, North Ft. Worth, and Ft. Worth comprise one yard.]
Not the same Hodge here as the one mentioned in the T&P station list!
Question:  When did Hodge Yard appear on the Cotton Belt?

Join RS-TALON@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.