Topics

RETAIN update: New 8 yr follow up study confirms COHE impact on long term disability

Jennifer Christian MD

Hello, all --

Just in case your state is selected to participate in RETAIN, this new study from Washington state (attached) confirms that the QUICK AND SIMPLE interventions that make up the COHE program have been EFFECTIVE in reducing by 30% the likelihood that NEWLY injured workers ended up with three kinds of poor outcomes, all of which signal workforce withdrawal and long term dependency on cash benefits.  They are  1. Awards of SSDI benefits,  2. Award of a Washington permanent disability pension for workers’ comp;  or  3.  Receipt of at least five years of “temporary total disability” wage replacement benefits.

BTW, are you like me on crazy pins and needles now – as the countdown clocks moves towards 9/30 -- the deadline for THREE different RETAIN-related shoes to drop?

  1. Which STATES will be selected to CONDUCT the project?   Will there be 8 as DOL planned?  (I am aware of 8 or possibly 9 states that applied.)
  2. Which VENDOR will be selected to provide TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE to all of the states?
  3. Which VENDOR will be selected to EVALUATE the project?

I HOPE the silence means the two agencies are considering all the proposals altogether,  and coordinating in an effort to figure out who will dance best with whom, given the variability in the designs and teams that the states proposed and matching them up with the different strengths and capabilities of the TA and evaluation bidders.

I also HOPE HOPE HOPE the main goal of the procurement teams is to assure that RETAIN will be carried out by and supported by teams selected for their understanding of the challenges involved, as well as their commitment to and capability for making the ENTIRE effort a worthwhile use of the taxpayers’ money -- and a genuine practical benefit to the workers the state’s projects will serve!

Cordially,

Jennifer Christian, MD, MPH

President / Chief Medical Officer

Webility Corporation

95 Woodridge Road

Wayland, MA 01778

Office:  508-358-5218 (preferred)

Mobile:  617-803-9835

Email: jennifer.christian@...

Blog: www.jenniferchristian.com

Website:  www.webility.md

grace.fendlay@...

Dr. Christian

Just a hello from Maryland. I'm excited to see RETAIN coming close to announcements and awards!

It still saddens me that we were not able to prepare a response in the time allotted. Fortunately, I am crazy busy with other grants. Maryland is definitely on US DOL's radar for our efforts using workforce development projects to alleviate the opioid crisis.

One of the best things that came to me through the RETAIN efforts is connecting with Dr. Marianne Cloeren. I have such respect for her. She keeps in the loop with me on resources for the opioids as well as RETAIN-type resources I share.

I hope this note finds you and yours well and thriving!

Grace

--

Grace Fendlay
Director of Discretionary Grants

DLLR Website | Facebook | Twitter

Click here to complete a three question customer experience survey

Jim Talmage

Jennifer,

Thanks.

Do you have and can you share with the pdf files on the other WA state COHE publications? I believe TN did submit a grant request.

5. Wickizer TM, Franklin G, Plaeger-Brockway R, et al. Improving the quality of workerscompensation health care delivery: the Washington State occupational health services project. Milbank Q. 2001;79:521.

6. Wickizer TM, Franklin GM, Mootz RD, et al. A communitywide intervention to improve outcomes and reduce disability among injured workers in Washington State.

Milbank Q. 2004;82:547567.

7. Cheadle A, Franklin G, Wofhagen C, et al. Factors influencing the duration of work-related disability: a population-based study of Washington State workerscompensation.

Am J Public Health. 1994;84:190196.

8. Wickizer TM, Franklin G, Fulton-Kehoe D, et al. Improving quality, preventing disability and reducing costs in workerscompensation healthcare: a population-based intervention study. Med Care. 2011;49: 11051111.

Jim

James B. Talmage MD

olddrt@... (home)

931.510.7920 (mobile)

[...]

Marianne Cloeren

Grace, and all, I think that has been a great benefit of this effort – helping all of us make new connections with kindred spirits doing good work in other organizations!

Thank you!

Marianne

Marianne Cloeren, MD, MPH, FACOEM, FACP

Associate Professor

Division of Occupational & Environmental Medicine

University of Maryland School of Medicine

11 S Paca St., Suite 200

Baltimore, MD 21201

mcloeren@...

410-706-7464

CAUTION: This message originated from a non UMB, UMSOM, FPI, or UMMS email system. Whether the sender is known or not known, hover over any links before clicking and use caution opening attachments.

[...]

Thomas Wickizer

Jim,

Attached are 3 of the articles you requested.  I will try and track down the Cheadle paper. Please contact me if you have questions.  I was the lead evaluator on the COHE project.

Tom Wickizer

Thomas Wickizer

Stephen F. Loebs Professor and

Chair, Division of Health Services Management and Policy

College of Public Health

Ohio State University

Room 202

1841 Neil Avenue

Columbus, OH 43210

(614-688-3854)

(twickizer@...)

[...]

Jason Turner

Congratulations Jennifer!   How wonderful you must feel now, watching your baby emerge.  I really hope you are a prime in the TA.

When announced, send me the link so I can see if some of the winners are SIG states and we can feature at a meeting.

Cheers.

Jason Turner, Executive Director
Secretaries' Innovation Group
Cell:  414-839-6671

Jim Talmage

Thanks, Tom.

I am a Buckeye (Class of 68 & 72). I am in Columbus once a month as I consult with the Ohio Police & Fire Pension Fund.

James B. Talmage MD

olddrt@... (home)

931.510.7920 (mobile)