Topics

For sale: Aluminum case for Red Pitaya

chuck.gooden

I have the aluminum case for the Red Pitaya (122.88-16) that I will not be using.  If your interested in purchasing it please make an offer.

This case requires you to remove the heatsink from the board and the top of the case will become the heatsink when the case is assembled.  The case is painted black with white stenciling.

If no one is interested, I will be returning it to Mouser.

73's

Chuck K9LC

Pete Smith

I respectfully suggest that you return it to Mouser.  The case has one fatal flaw - it requires a small screwdriver and some dexterityto insert and remove the SD card.  Also, in tests it has been found not to be very effective as a heat-sink.  I wound up modifying mine to add a small fan, but why not get the plastic case, which is already drilled for a fan?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 12/10/2019 1:40 PM, chuck.gooden wrote:

I have the aluminum case for the Red Pitaya (122.88-16) that I will not be using.  If your interested in purchasing it please make an offer.

This case requires you to remove the heatsink from the board and the top of the case will become the heatsink when the case is assembled.  The case is painted black with white stenciling.

If no one is interested, I will be returning it to Mouser.

73's

Chuck K9LC

Max NG7M

When I ordered my Red Pitaya, I added the case as an after thought to the order via emailing Red Pitaya to fix the order.  I wanted the plastic case, but they sent the metal case and I thought I would give it a try.   I can confirm the cooling of the metal case alone is not good without external cooling.  However rather than sending the metal case back I just used the bottom of the case and had some M3 nuts that matched the screws that came with the case and bolted the PCB into the bottom section of the metal case to give it a nice footing.  So at the moment I'm just using the bottom of the case and have an old cpu fan driven off the 5v header on the RP.  The fan is sitting on top of the RP and the temps are steady right at ~50c skimming 9 bands, 8 off the first MAC interface and 1 off the second. (I replaced the thermal paste on the heatsink that came with the RP too, having tried the full metal case without the stock heatsink on the RP).

I'm happy with my use of the bottom of the metal case for now.  However, I really wish I just had the plastic case... as others have mentioned, don't waste your time with the metal case.  Max NG7M