Re: I changed my mind: I'm willing to support the 2013 proposal #standardization

Nathan Galt

On Jan 28, 2020, at 10:34 PM, Brad Neil via Groups.Io <friedorange79@...> wrote:

As I explained in my reply to Mr Everson last month, I'm not sure that any more than an extension of 5 letters would be required, if unification with Shavian were to occur:

  1. hw/蕧
  2. x
  3. ks
  4. gz

The reason being, every existing Shavian codepoint directly corresponds with a QS letter (or sequence of two letters). If we are to go with unification, why add new encodings for letters that are direct, 1:1 (or many:1) equivalents? (even if they switch around shapes or replace them entirely.)

If we鈥檙e using 饜懃 and 饜懐 (S路Mime and S路Nun) for QS路Ah and QS路Awe, we鈥檙e going to need new code points for m and n sounds. S路Ah and S路Awe don鈥檛 look like QS路May or QS路No, no matter how many beers you鈥檝e had. Based on what Everson鈥檚 2013 proposal, I do not believe the Consortium expects us to twist U+10477 (饜懛) into something that looks like a loop-de-loop (路No) or a clockwise spiral (路May).

If Michael Everson thinks he has a colorable case for adding those two letters to a Quikscript section in the SMP, I鈥檓 not about to contradict him. Doing so would merely make my job as a reader or one-man font foundry harder by arguing for maximally smashed-together character sets.

By all means, see my reply to his post "QuikScript and Unicode" for the full argument.

And just to play devil's advocate regarding your suggestion of 16 characters: /e瑟/ and /a瑟/ may have different shapes, but only barely. The top bar of Shavian 饜懕/饜懖 was switched out for a little loop at the top. I've never seen this an impediment to reading. Further, the only difference with /b/ is that it was mirrored horizontally in QS, with a loop added so that it ends on the baseline instead of the descender line.Those are pretty minimal changes in my opinion.

What do you think?

I think you鈥檙e better at this than I am ;)

More to the point, I鈥檓 tripped up/slowed down by more trivial things. While mnemonics like 鈥渢he top bar of Shavian 饜懕/饜懖 was switched out for a little loop at the top鈥 help, I鈥檓 more thrown by deviances than, I suspect, many people here.

Join QuikScript@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.