Re: Print Tool image sizing

Roy Harrington

Print-Tool does not resample any images for printing -- never.  Print drivers "ask"
the OS for what data they want and OSX converts as necessary.  So Print-Tool
knows nothing about 720ppi or any other ppi -- it just send whole files to the OSX print
system.  QTR works on 720ppi input data so on Mac OSX that is provided by the
system, on PC there is an extra step to resample to 720ppi for QTR.  Epson
drivers for instance demand either 360ppi or 720ppi for input, Canon and HP
are different still.

As far as advice I think both Jon Cone & myself, and others have pretty much
always advocated to just send QTR what you have.  You might create artificial
files that can demonstrate these re-sampling but for real images I really don't
think any of this matters a whole lot.  In general QTR does overkill on most
printing matters to make it a non-issue.

Roy

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 3:01 PM, brian_downunda@... [QuadtoneRIP] <QuadtoneRIP@...> wrote:

This discussion has been about Print Tool.  Does the same 720 thing happen with QTR on Windows?

As Jeff said, there's a comment in Jon Cone's new piezography manual that suggests that QTR uses whatever you give it, which at first glance doesn't seem to quite gel with what Roy said.  But perhaps there's more going on in QTR than we realise.

--

Join QuadToneRIP@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.