Winton sound

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

    I have been tossing around the idea of of getting a QSI decoder with a Winton sound file.  I did a quick check of JMRI and notice there is not a tab for a Winton sound file.  Does this mean that it's not available from QSI or just that no one has any interest yet?  QSI is apparently the only folks that have a Winton sound file.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Ed.Sauers

Jon,

The Winton 201a is available for download in the QSI site.http://www.qsindustries.com/

I have it loaded in one of my S-scale SW-1s, the file they have available is for their Titan decoder and is one of their Emulation versions....Best of the Best!!

Ed Sauers

On 5/9/2019 11:04 AM, Ed Sauers dockside98@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

The Winton 201a is available for download

    I don't have any "black boxes" from any manufacture.  I would want to buy it on the decoder.  I would then lock it  after selecting what I want in terms of CVs.  It's not available on JMRI for some reason.

    How do you like the sound?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Terry Humerickhouse

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Thursday, May 9, 2019, Ed Sauers dockside98@... [QSIndustries]  wrote:

[...]

kjlovesya

Hi Jon,

  You wrote, "I would want to buy it on the decoder. "

  As Ed mentioned, the sound file is available for the Titan decoder.   That's part of what makes the Titan such a great decoder - you can update the sound files as they become available (using the optional QSI Programmer).   However, you can purchase the Titan decoder with the Winton sound file already loaded, directly from Q.S. Industries.   http://www.qsindustries.com/

  You wrote: " It's not available on JMRI for some reason. "  You can still use JMRI Decoder Pro or QSI's own,  free download, CV Manager (works with NCE systems and with QSI Programmer).

  Currently, there are only two QSI Titan version 9 decoders listed in JMRI Decoder Pro (a steam and a diesel).  To use a QSI Titan with version 9 firmware (the Emulator) in JMRI Decoder Pro you simply select the diesel (if memory serves, it's the EMD 567).  Don't worry, it's just a label - it will not change the Winton sound file to something else.   Once selected you can set the CVs to your hearts content.

  You wrote, "I would then lock it  after selecting what I want in terms of CVs. "

  Another great thing about the Emulator (QSI Titan with version 9 firmware) is the fact that, just like the full scale locomotive, the sounds are dynamic.   Changing the momentum values and load (length of train, grade, etc.) will change the sounds and operating characteristics of the locomotive.   The exhaust will become laboured and 'bark' sharper, etc..   To do that you may not want to 'lock' the decoder because 'momentum' changes with load.

  Oh, and the fully variable train brake (when the momentum CVs are properly set) emulates the full scale very well.

  Really, there is so much, so many features to the Emulator, I just cannot list them here.   I suggest downloading the full manual (it's huge because there are so many features).

Rick Knight

I am glad that Kelly answered this question for Jon. I have used several Titans and have used the Winton sound file and have the QSI programmer and the software but not updated for my windows 10 computer. I am still trying to decide if it is worth the effort to get the windows ten working with the QSI programmer without any answer to my question about the future of QSI. Also no back channel communication and no idea on price. Rick.

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 5/10/2019 7:25 AM, rickknight97@... [QSIndustries] wrote:
I have used several Titans and have used the Winton sound file and have the QSI programmer and the software but not updated for my windows 10 computer.

    I am not doubting this is a excellent decoder.  I have 2 Atlas HH660 which have QSI decoders in them.  However the only use I have for the Winton is a possible retro fit of some BLI ATSF E1s.  I simply don't wish to spend the money (programmer) or time (learning how to program the Titan).  After all I've already spent 80-100 getting the BLI decoder (can't buy the engine without, smart marketing by BLI, they learned from 2-10-2s stealth).