Topics

windows 10 and CV Manager

adam starr

I used CV manager flawlessly on an old windows 7,  After moving to windows 10 I did without for a long time while rebuilding after a move, I was finally able to install everything using the sequence that disables the Driver Signature Enforcer . It works fine a couple days and then stops working. I reloaded everything and it again lasted a few days.

Once it fails, I can still bring up CV Manager on the screen but none of the functions will work on the on screen keypad. I even tried to create new files for a given engine instead of using the files I had already made but no luck.

 I have been told that micro soft periodically sends out updates to window 10 and that messes up the ability of the computer to find the driver, even though it is still there.  Now I have tried several times to erase and reload everything again using the disable signature Enforcer as I did before but  for some reason can not get it to work.. this isn't my strong suit and apparently am doing something different from when I successfully loaded everything.  But I am wasting my time because even if I get it loaded and functioning again, it appears as though I will loss it after a few days.

Is there a way to protect the driver and downloads once I get it installed again?

Is there a service out there somewhere that can handle this for me?

Is the answer to find a old windows 7 computer

I ma using my NCE with the CV manager...which worked very well with windows 7.   Cant believe these decoders are working so well after several years and it appears that CV manager is loaded with problems.

Help, Adam

Bob

Been using Windows 10 with Cv  manager and upgrade program for a couple of years with no problems. Windows 10 has been through serval updates.
Bob C

On Dec 1, 2017, at 12:25 PM, adam starr astarrnce@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

[...]

Greg Elmassian

Likewise, have not had to reinstall the driver after a number of windows 10 updates.

Have you uninstalled the driver, cleaned your registry, and then reinstalled?

If so, does the installation work?

Perhaps you have a antivirus program blocking it, like Norton?

Greg

Bob

The only time I have had to reinstall drivers is on a major update of Windows 10 like yesterday.
Bob C

On Dec 3, 2017, at 11:52 PM, greg@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

Likewise, have not had to reinstall the driver after a number of windows 10 updates.

Have you uninstalled the driver, cleaned your registry, and then reinstalled?

If so, does the installation work?

Perhaps you have a antivirus program blocking it, like Norton?

Greg

adam starr

Hi Greg,,

I was able to load everything a week ago and had it working.  It failed the following day (after a huge microsoft download) and I have tried at least half dozen times since and cannot get it to work.

 I spoke to someone via the telephone who knows his way around computers and we walked through reloading  the drivers and CV manager but  it would not work.

When you sat clean the registry, I delete anything involving QSI from "programs" and documents and download files (except PDFs). The icons for CV manager disappear from my desk top screen.   Is there something else I should be cleaning out?

The gentleman that was helping me said my adapter cable going from serial to USB may be the issue and that it cannot handle the speed necessary.   He recommended upgrading to a better  adapter ( I think it was "HL" 18 or 21...just guessing at the moment).

 Again, I downlaoded and was using CV manaher a week ago ( after many attempts) using the anti virus and adapter that I have right now.

 I don't know if thus is relative but I have downloaded and added several locos since Friday JMRI..  Just took one simple attempt to download

Thanks

Greg Elmassian

Cleaning the registry via a program (free) like CCleaner, if you are already an expert in regedit, then you are ahead of the game.

A while ago, Microsoft updated the driver that is used for most of the USB <> Serial "dongle" cables.

There's a lot of counterfeit clones of the main chip that does this interface, and the new driver refuses to work on the counterfeit chips.

This could be the issue, although this change happened quite some time ago.

A new, quality cable might be the answer, but I would look in the device manager and see if you have the device installed and there are no issues with the driver (yellow exclamation mark)... you should "find" the interface cable under USB devices. (be sure it's plugged in ha ha!)

Greg

Bob

My laptop with windows 10 did a major update. Had to uninstall the drivers and follow the directions from QSI for installing the divers and no problem. I use a usb hub
Bob C

On Dec 6, 2017, at 2:15 PM, greg@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

the

kjlovesya

Greg,

  A club member is experiencing exactly this problem too.  We've tried everything but the regedit.

  What, precisely, needs to be cleaned out of the registry?  I'm familiar with regedit from older MS op systems.  Assuming I manage to find my way into Windows 10 registry, what should I look for?

  The device manager shows no yellow exclaimation marks for the Quantum Programmer, but the Quantum software does not see the programmer.  It worked before, but then quit and no success reloading the driver.

KJ

Lou

Search for QSI and Quantum.

Lou

  A club member is experiencing exactly this problem too.  We've tried everything but the regedit.

  What, precisely, needs to be cleaned out of the registry?  I'm familiar with regedit from older MS op systems.  Assuming I manage to find my way into Windows 10 registry, what should I look for?

  The device manager shows no yellow exclaimation marks for the Quantum Programmer, but the Quantum software does not see the programmer.  It worked before, but then quit and no success reloading the driver.

Thanks Lou!

dslperico

What is your secret sauce?  I have a Titan-U and Window 10.  Cannot get sound, but the loco moves on my NCE test track.  No sound on my QSI Programmer track either.  Thx.

Tom K.

Make sure the connector, at the sound end of the decoder, is fully seated in the decoder.  I had a couple that acted that way and all I had to do was push the connector plug in a little bit.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 11:12 PM, dslperico via Groups.Io
<dslperico@...> wrote:
What is your secret sauce?  I have a Titan-U and Window 10.  Cannot get sound, but the loco moves on my NCE test track.  No sound on my QSI Programmer track either.  Thx.

dslperico

Will check that.  Thx Tom!