What does the chuff input do?

Nicholas Geti

Pin 12 of the Titan-U decoder is marked as chuff sync. What is it for?
Nicholas Geti

kjlovesya

Hi Nicholas,

  In a full scale steam locomotive, for each full revolution of the main drivers four stack 'chuffs' are produced.

  The Titan has two ways of synchronizing the chuff to the wheel revolution of the main drivers.

1/  BEMF - The Titan senses the revolutions of the motor (which can be calibrated to varying wheel diameters/ gear ratios.

2/  A brass cam or disk can be installed on an axle or the back of a driving wheel.   The cam or disk contact wiper is connected to the 'chuff sync' and allows a mechanically timed pulse.

KJ

Nicholas Geti

There must be some changes to CVs to take advantage of the chuff pin. The only settings I could find in the manual were for setting wheel diameters, etc.

When I was testing the board, touching the chuff pin to the gnd pin did not have any effect.

Nick

Bill Kohler

You need to set CV 56.0 Bit 4 to ‘1’ to get cam-synchronized chuff.

If you have the QSI DCC Reference Manual V5.2.0 handy, it is described on pages 357 – 358.

Bill Kohler
CEO & Chief Engineer
Greenbrier, Cheat & Elk RR

You're never too old to enjoy a happy childhood!

Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2018 10:39 AM
Subject: [QSIndustries] Re: What does the chuff input do?

There must be some changes to CVs to take advantage of the chuff pin. The only settings I could find in the manual were for setting wheel diameters, etc.

When I was testing the board, touching the chuff pin to the gnd pin did not have any effect.

Nick

Nicholas Geti

Thank you. That is what I was looking for.

Nicholas