Topics

Total Frustration with making a locomotive connection with Titan-U

dslperico
 

I purchased the programmer in July.  Had an installer install the programmer on an Intermountain F7 recently due to time constraints.  Have yet to get it do succeed in making a connection to the locomotive. Years ago I had all kinds of success with QSI sound downloads.  Now it seems like you have to be a computer programmer (which I am), an electrical engineer, and a librarian to ferret out the relevant information to make the thing work on Windows 10, which is the current Microsoft OS.  Kelly has been very gracious in responding to all my emails/posts as best he can, but I am still in the dark why I can't make a connection to my Central of Georgia F7.  It's a shame a big company has not picked up what I view as the best software and sound reproduction out there - if only I could get it to work!  I wish there was an installer out there I could send the whole thing to - programmer, CD (which seems somewhat out of date), and locomotive, to see if they could get it to work.  I'm near Walnut Creek CA, if such a person is out there.
Bruce Scott

kelly dorf
 

Hi Bruce,

I am not too far from Californina, and if all else fails you could send it to me.  My windows 10 laptop is currently fuxored thanks to a recent MS update, but I have my trusty XP box to fall back on. To be clear, are you trying to download a file, or use the programmer in CV manager? 
I will work on my laptop this weekend, as I have received some advise on this forum. Please let me know how I can help. You can email me directly off-list at qsindustries224@...

Kelly

kjlovesya
 

Hi Bruce,

  Perhaps you can use the process of elimination to first determine where the fault lies.   Is the fault in the locomotive, the programmer or even the operator (it happens to all, so don't be offended)?

1/  Do you have a working DCC system (besides the QSI programmer)?   i.e.  Do other locomotive run on the DCC system?
2/ Does the locomotive run on the DCC system?

 If the answer to 1 is yes, but the answer to 2 is no, we need to look at either the locomotive or the operator sequence of events.    Have you got the correct locomotive selected?   If so, is the locomotive in shut down mode?


 If the answers to both the above questions are yes then we can focus on the programmer and/or SiLabs driver.  

  It's my understanding that Windows 10 is notorious for updating and screwing up the drivers.   If this is the case, using Control Panel, you'll have to remove all QSI software, and all existing SiLabs drivers.   You then have to delete the empty QSI folder.   Finally, you have to edit the registry, removing all traces of QSI.

 The order in which you re-install the drivers seems to affect the actual installation.   If you have more than one SiLabs driver install the QSI driver first.   Finally, re-install the other software you removed.


Good luck!


KJ

Nick
 

Bruce,

I'm coming into the middle of this and I am a bit confused. From what I can determine, you have one locomotive, an Intermountain F7 , that you cannot program. Is that correct ? I am currently using Windows 10 , 64-bit PRO on an ancient Dell laptop with barely enough RAM to operate for my programming needs. I use virtually ALL different programmers for different manufacturers. I use JMRI for most non-sound decoders with a Digitrax system. I use a Loksound Programmer for my ESU decoders, and I use the QSI programmer for my QSI decoders. I have every version of early OEM QSI decoders all the way up to the latest Titan both U and A versions.

I have gone from Windows XP Pro, to Windows 7 Pro and finally , on this laptop, I am using Windows 10. Pro. The easiest solution I found to installing the new drivers was to wipe out ANY trace of the old drivers BEFORE attempting to install the new ones. Eliminate ALL old folders and dll. files . It might help to run a registry cleaner as well. I don't know the particulars of your problem but after I took those steps, I had no problem using my programmer or the software. Hardware is hardware and software is software. If the software works for one Titan, theoretically , it will wok on any Titan.

Good luck,
Nick Kulp

dslperico
 

Thanks, Kelly!  I know you trying hard to help me and I think eventually we'll get this resolved.  Here's my plan.  1)  This week a programmer installer friend (not the one who put in the decoder) is going to disassemble the shell and look at the wiring, comparing it to the diagram you sent me.  He'll see if a wire came loose from the speaker or, since only one speaker was installed, whether the installed speaker got soldered to the wrong connection.  He'll also inspect the decoder general wiring.  Since I'm able to run the engine on my NEC Test track, I'm perplexed why I cannot establish a connection when using the "QuantumUpgrade" version 3.1.0.1 application to retrieve loco information - it stops at 40%.  I wonder if enough juice is coming through the dongle?  That plug-in connector into which we insert the wire from the Programmer test track looks a bit iffy.  If this step (1) fails, then...
...2) Do an install on my XP machine and see if it will work with that pc.  Finally, if step 2 fails, then...
...3)  If it's ok with you, mail you the whole caboodle - dongle, test track, CD, locomotive, and return postage to see if you can get it to work.  The software works but without a connection to the loco, it seems useless.  And, it's such great looking software, way ahead of the competiton.
Thanks!
Bruce

dslperico
 

Nick, do you happen to know what sub-folder that Sylab DLL is normally put in on Windows 10?

dslperico
 

Thanks KJ.  Will have to respond to your good suggestions later.  Am off to an Ops session.
Bruce Scott

kelly dorf
 

Hi Bruce,

I will wait to hear from you!

Kelly

kjlovesya
 

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 01:40 PM, dslperico wrote:
I'm perplexed why I cannot establish a connection when using the "QuantumUpgrade" version 3.1.0.1 application to retrieve loco information - it stops at 40%. 

Bruce, do you have any switches or any short circuit protection or anything else, besides wire, between your QSI Programmer and the track?    I seem to recall something about this type of issue from years gone by.


KJ

Nick
 

I will be happy to check today and send the info. I am going to a Veterans Day ceremony this afternoon but I will check as soon as I get home.

Always glad to help,
Nick

dslperico
 

Haven't had time to give detailed answers to all questions here yet.  Friend on way over to look at wiring.  Just was able to move the loco with Test Cab in Ops Mode.  This is encouraging!!!
Can anyone give me the precise sequence of steps in QuantumCVManager to program a Nathan M5?  I do understand index programming and will review pages 128, etc.of the August 5 2015 NMRA Reference Manual for relevant CV values (CV 49 and 50, etc..)  (As a side note, I am an NMRA member.)  Thank you Nick, KJ, Kelly and other respondents.

Jay Beckham
 

Where do I find the NMRA Reference guide to CVs?  I am a member so if on their site could get it there but am not familiar with it.

 

Thanks

 

Jay Beckham

 

My Blog https://jaysoscalelayout.blogspot.com/

 

Join us at JayOScaleLayout+subscribe@groups.io

 

Jay Beckham
 

Never mind, found the manual on line.

 

Thanks

 

Jay Beckham

 

My Blog https://jaysoscalelayout.blogspot.com/

 

Join us at JayOScaleLayout+subscribe@groups.io

 

dslperico
 

No KJ, not circuit protection between.

kjlovesya
 

Hi Bruce,

  You answered regarding the short circuit protection, but what about switches?   I read that some, who installed DPDT switches in the circuit, experienced trouble reading CVs.

KJ

Bruce
 

Nick, 

Maybe the problem is the operator here, me. I think I need a helpful walk-through on using the software.  Kelly fixed a problem with the dongle, and the engine runs with sound on my NCE Test track, but I still cannot establish a connection to QuantumUpgrade or QuantumCVManager apps on my Dell Win 10 pc.I deleted all my old QSI files and installed the latest software Kelly sent me.  Wonder if you'd have any time to discuss at some point, as there are no YouTube tutorials like what you have with Loksound?  I'm Pacific Time Zone.  Bruce

Bruce
 

Bruce here.  Using Regedit on my pc, do you search for keyword "QSI", match while string only?  Or do you use keyword "Quantum"?

Lou
 

Bruce,

I would search for QSI and then Quantum. But not the whole string. Do not use automatic replace. I am using Win 10, both Home and Pro., ver 1903. I have not been able to get the SILabs driver installed on 3 different computers that had run the QSI programs just fine before this version was forced. A few people seem to have been successful but I don’t know what version they are using. I also tried the earlier version of the SILabs driver on a clean install of Win XP and it did not work either.

 

Good Luck.

 

Lou

 

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2019 12:05 AM
To: QSIndustries@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Total Frustration with making a locomotive connection with Titan-U

 

Bruce here.  Using Regedit on my pc, do you search for keyword "QSI", match while string only?  Or do you use keyword "Quantum"?

Bruce
 

Thanks, Lou.  It sounds like you have not been currently successful in getting a QSI  connection either, if I'm reading your note correctly.  Are driver files those with the ".sys" file extension?

I was starting to wonder if I wasn't using the software properly, like not first opening and loading a q1, q3, or QCV file, before attempting the connection.  (Not sure what a QCV file is versus a q3, q1, etc.).  Is one type sound specific and the other decoder specific?

Anyway, sure glad you responded.  In the face the absence of detailed YouTube tutorials, and the mountain of PDF files to read through, I really appreciate hearing a voice in the wilderness, so to speak, such as yours.

Bruce

On Dec 14, 2019, at 6:27 AM, Lou <tpwillie@...> wrote:

Bruce,

I would search for QSI and then Quantum. But not the whole string. Do not use automatic replace. I am using Win 10, both Home and Pro., ver 1903. I have not been able to get the SILabs driver installed on 3 different computers that had run the QSI programs just fine before this version was forced. A few people seem to have been successful but I don’t know what version they are using. I also tried the earlier version of the SILabs driver on a clean install of Win XP and it did not work either.

 

Good Luck.

 

Lou

 

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2019 12:05 AM
To: QSIndustries@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Total Frustration with making a locomotive connection with Titan-U

 

Bruce here.  Using Regedit on my pc, do you search for keyword "QSI", match while string only?  Or do you use keyword "Quantum"?

Ed.Sauers
 

Bruce,

I have attached a document that defines how to install unsigned drivers. if you are not performing these steps the driver usually will not install.

Ed Sauers

On 12/14/2019 4:19 PM, Bruce wrote:
Thanks, Lou.  It sounds like you have not been currently successful in getting a QSI  connection either, if I'm reading your note correctly.  Are driver files those with the ".sys" file extension?

I was starting to wonder if I wasn't using the software properly, like not first opening and loading a q1, q3, or QCV file, before attempting the connection.  (Not sure what a QCV file is versus a q3, q1, etc.).  Is one type sound specific and the other decoder specific?

Anyway, sure glad you responded.  In the face the absence of detailed YouTube tutorials, and the mountain of PDF files to read through, I really appreciate hearing a voice in the wilderness, so to speak, such as yours.

Bruce

On Dec 14, 2019, at 6:27 AM, Lou <tpwillie@...> wrote:

Bruce,

I would search for QSI and then Quantum. But not the whole string. Do not use automatic replace. I am using Win 10, both Home and Pro., ver 1903. I have not been able to get the SILabs driver installed on 3 different computers that had run the QSI programs just fine before this version was forced. A few people seem to have been successful but I don’t know what version they are using. I also tried the earlier version of the SILabs driver on a clean install of Win XP and it did not work either.

 

Good Luck.

 

Lou

 

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2019 12:05 AM
To: QSIndustries@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Total Frustration with making a locomotive connection with Titan-U

 

Bruce here.  Using Regedit on my pc, do you search for keyword "QSI", match while string only?  Or do you use keyword "Quantum"?