Topics

Tech question for QSI - Kelly? Gerry?

kjlovesya

Atlas OEM ver. 6.3.2

Is it possible to remap lighting functions?   The CV Manager indicates that it should be feasible, but I am having no luck with the lighting.

KJ

Joó Ferenc

Which decoder is this, please?

Üdvözlettel,
Best regards,
MfG,

Ferenc Joó
Correspondent for Hungary
TREU - Today's Railways Europe
IRJ - International Railway Journal
GSM:   +36204141621

NOHAB Apartment
8263 Badacsonytördemic
Debreczenyi u. 9. / HUNGARY
"The holiday apartment on Lake Balaton
with its own garden railway!"

kjlovesya via Groups.Io <kjlovesya=yahoo.ca@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. nov. 15., P, 0:13):

Atlas OEM ver. 6.3.2

Is it possible to remap lighting functions?   The CV Manager indicates that it should be feasible, but I am having no luck with the lighting.

Hello Ferenc,

  Thank you for responding.   The decoder is a QSI OEM factory installed in an Atlas MP15DC.   CV7 reports that it's version 6.32 firmware.    I've tried remapping using the QSI CVManager software and failed.    Instead of remapped lights, I end up with no lights.   To correct the new problem I have had to do reset.

Joó Ferenc

KJ,

The only reason I asked is because I have problems remapping light functions on my FX-DO Titan which I believe is the same as some OEM decoders in O scale locos but I never managed to find out which ones and if any of them have manuals to explain how to remap light functions - as the FX-DO has no manual done for it...

kjlovesya via Groups.Io <kjlovesya=yahoo.ca@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. nov. 15., P, 19:47):

Hello Ferenc,

  Thank you for responding.   The decoder is a QSI OEM factory installed in an Atlas MP15DC.   CV7 reports that it's version 6.32 firmware.    I've tried remapping using the QSI CVManager software and failed.    Instead of remapped lights, I end up with no lights.   To correct the new problem I have had to do reset.

Lou

KJ,

You will find very few options to remap the ver. 6 OEM decoders. There is not very much memory to do so.  You are pretty much stuck with what you have. You may be able to exchange an existing light with another but be careful. It may be easier to use a lighting decoder for your needs, something like the NCE Light-IT. I believe TCS makes some also.

This was discussed some time ago. A search may find that thread.

Good Luck.

Lou

  Thank you for responding.   The decoder is a QSI OEM factory installed in an Atlas MP15DC.   CV7 reports that it's version 6.32 firmware.    I've tried remapping using the QSI CVManager software and failed.    Instead of remapped lights, I end up with no lights.   To correct the new problem I have had to do reset.

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

TCS has both a 4 function and a 6 function IIRC.
Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
@dapenguin

On 15November2019, at 12:12, Lou <tpwillie@...> wrote:

KJ,

You will find very few options to remap the ver. 6 OEM decoders. There is not very much memory to do so. You are pretty much stuck with what you have. You may be able to exchange an existing light with another but be careful. It may be easier to use a lighting decoder for your needs, something like the NCE Light-IT. I believe TCS makes some also.

This was discussed some time ago. A search may find that thread.

Good Luck.

Lou

kjlovesya

Thanks to all for your replies.     The loco in question is a fellow club member's, so changing/adding to the decoder is out.   I was simply hoping for a quick CV change.

Ferenc, your FX-DO Titan should accept the same CV changes as any other QSI Titan decoder.   Do you have a QSI Programmer and CV Manager or JMRI Decoder Pro?   If not, the QSI full manual should have the information you seek.

Nick

KJ,

I am not familiar with the version that you have but if it is a Ver 6. decoder, you might be able to purchase an upgrade chip for it. They are available for the normal OEM decoders and I have done a LOT of those. Since you already have the programmer, it would be an easy task to pop out the old chip and install the new one. Then you can load any version 7 file into the new chip with your programmer.

FYI. This problem is thanks to Mike's Train House and his frivolous law suit against the Sound decoder manufacturers just before BLI came out with their line in the early 2000's. MTH CLAIMED they "invented" the technology and manufacturers had to cripple features in decoders like BEMF and the ability to remap features, until the lawsuit was resolved. MTH, the tinplate manufacturer, was beaten soundly and after over 5 years of waiting, the upgrade chips and the QSI programmer was released. Please pass the word about MTH as he has attempted to file other "claims" to damage this hobby. He did create his own "DCC" system but the decoders he creates and installs in his HO and O scale locos do NOT follow NMRA  standards and attempts to do minor program changes usually result in bricking the decoders. When they come up on ebay and swap lists, they are usually in bad shape and new decoders are the only solution.

One source for the upgrade chip is Yankee Dabbler. They usually run around $30.00 . I have gotten them as recently as this past July.

Good luck,
Nick Kulp

kelly dorf

Upgrade chips are also available direct from QSI

Kelly