Topics

Sunset L-105 (4-6-6-4, 2-Rail) Titan board pinout information needed

Darrell

Hello all. I just joined the group. Thanks.

I just received my Sunset 3rd Rail L-105 (4-6-6-4, 2-Rail) with a QSI DCC decoder mounted in the tender, and I want to add a fan-driven smoke unit with 4 inputs that will be controlled by the decoder: 2 for the fan motor and two for the heater. The commercial version of the Titan has good documentation on the smoke unit wiring connections. Unfortunately, the Sunset version of the Titan has no documentation I can find regarding smoke unit connections. Any help would be most welcome!

The top Sunset QSI board is numbered 050-0200-00, © 2011 underneath, presumably "Titan" class. The pin-outs on this board are unlike the commercial Titan, but I think I have them mostly in hand. There does not appear to be any smoke unit outputs on this top board. If I'm wrong, please disabuse me.

The main problem is the lower board (see attached photo). It has a clearly marked Gwire plug, but Plug P14 (labeled "DL") and Plug 3 (labeled "DL") are a mystery. Does anyone know what they are for? There is also a "Smoke" plug with "+" and "-" that I believe is for the polarity-dependent smoke fan. Does anyone know? At least four of the five MOSFETs (the large black square components) on this board are probably part of an H bridge "DCC amplifier" that converts the Gwire 5V DCC it converts from RF transmissions to "track-level" DCC for the upper board's DCC decoder. Does anyone know? The fifth MOSFET might be related to high-current switching for a smoke unit heater. Does anyone know?

Any wiring information on the "lower board" would be most welcome!
 Thanks ahead of time.

Robert Lopez

Hello Darrell,

My name is Robert and I work for Sunset Models. These boards are custom to us but they are designed by QSI the smoke output we have never used. The output if I remember right is for a southsmok unit which wants i believe 14v-18v . I don't believe this is what you want for your L-105 from the looks from the tender in the photo. This is most likely one of our last models with QSI installed. We are shifting to a new decoder manufacturer. We are planning to provide an upgrade Kit for all of our Older models most likely some time next year "Look for an email Update soon" but the new decoders have fan driven smoke unit output on them and are designed to be drop in. if you have any more questions please ask.

Robert Lopez

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 11:15 AM Darrell <darrelllamm0@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert,

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply. It's probably a good thing to change decoder vendors. My top decoder brand is Zimo (MX696 and MX699) because of the ease of interfacing smoke units, followed by ESU (LockSound 4 and 5 L). All of these installs are "deadrail." QSI is new for me, so I was willing to "give it a go," if I could just find out what all the plugs were for.

I Googled "southsmok" but came up with a bunch of Hookah hits instead of model railroad smoke units :)

If you ever come across the "lower board" wiring info, I would welcome it!

Thanks again,
Darrell