Topics

Sunset 3rd GGD SD9

Jim B

Does anyone know the specific QSI decoder model in the GGD SD9?    I am trying to change some things on mine, and I don't think I am using the right decoder model #.

Lou

Jim B.

To help, we need some more information. It will also help us to know what your DCC system is and how are you programming the decoder. Do you  use JMRI or maybe QSI CVManager? Is this a factory installed decoder?

We need to know the contents of

CV 8  (Mfg. Number)

CV 7 (Model Number)

CV 56.245.5 and CV 56.254.4 (Additional MFG Information)

If you are not using either of the programs mentioned above you might find them helpful.

Good Luck.

Lou

From: "QSIndustries@groups.io" <QSIndustries@groups.io> on behalf of Jim B <prrjim@...>
Date: Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 6:51 PM
To: "QSIndustries@groups.io" <QSIndustries@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Sunset 3rd GGD SD9

[...]

Robert,

Do you know which QSI decoder it is?   There are probably over a 100 different ones, and over a dozen called "titan" and bunch called FX-DO.

The SD9 has number boards and markers at both ends.    In my messing around, I have figured out they work independently - sometimes.   The information on Ports you listed is what I have learned from various Decoderpro reads.    I run mine both ways on a point to point layout, and I want to be able to turn them on in the direction of travel, and off in the other direction - both ways.

I can get the front number boards and markers to work using those ports.    But what are the ports for the rear markers and numbers boards?    Since they work independely of the front ones, I assume they are on different ports.

Lou

OK, Jim. Hewer we go. It might help if you read these tips first, then try changing stuff.

First, go to https://shedaker.wixsite.com/shedaker/titan-ho-documents . Under that tab these manuals may help you:

Using and Understanding Indexed CVs   Read Me First!

Complete DCC Reference Manual for All QSI Decoders  v5.2.0 full manual; 468 pages

Titan ET (Q3) Diesel Programming Guide

Also, while on that site you can download any (all?) sound files that you may be interested in. I would suggest that you download anything that you think you may need as there are no promises how long that site may stay up.

Ready? Let’s go.

Put the locomotive on the programming track and start up Decoder Pro. Do a reset of the decoder by entering the following CVs in the order shown below.

1: CV 49 = 128 2: CV 50 = 255 3: CV 56 = 113 The decoder will speak the word “RESET” when the last CV is entered (if done on the mainline) OR when power is next applied (if done on the program track.) This will rest to the manufacturer’s settings.

Select New Decoder and read what the decoder says. When it gives you the Titan choices, choose what best matched your prime mover. I believe the F3 567 type will work for you SD9 Finish filling out the Roster Entry pane the way you normally do then save the information to file.

Now, going pane by pane, do a Rea All om each pane and save the file each time (Sorry, I like to be safe.)

Once you have done this you can see how Sunset set up the decoder and see what controls what on what port. Now, study the Function Output, Light Control and Light Output.

To control a light, you need 3 options set. First is Function Output. This determines what function button you want to control the light in question. Use the dropdown menu to determine the light.  You can also choose to set that light in a group that will all be controlled by the function you chose but save that for later. Next, go to Light Control. This pane controls the light choice by what type of output you want that light to do. This is set for each kind of light you want to install. Finally go to Light Ports. This is the output wire the light is connected to. These 3 changes what does what, how it does it and what controls it,

You should be able to find the port from when you read that pane.  I would suggest that you use the existing connection,

Now, here is how to do ft. Assume that Sunset has it set up this way: Rear light boards are connected to port 12 (on the rear connector) and is controlled by F0R. and is controlled by F0 and direction.

Go to Light Ports pane and scroll down to Rear Number Board and enter  XX This is the port that Sunset has set up for this light. If it is not connected, choose a port number and wire your light to that port.

Next, go to Light Control. Scroll down to Rear Number Boards Initial State. Set at zero so they are dark unless turned on. Since you want these manually controlled clear the next 4 lines. The next 3 sliders control the brightness of the low, and how long it takes to reach full brightness and goes back to dark. Mess with these to see how they work

Next, go to Function Output pane. On this pane go down to F12 (Output 14). Choose Rear Number boards lights in the left pane and none in the right pane.

Check the Function output pane to be sure your chosen F key is not assigned to another function, the light output does not have another output that matches yours, and that the Multi Auto Lights is not checked for the Rear Number Boards.

Do this programming on the main and you can see if you chose right immediately.

I hope this will get you started. Good Luck

[...]

Jim, I just noticed you have version 8 software. You might want to consider a sound upgrade to Ver. 9. It would be file number 1115-567v9-3-2.q3. This is the last version made before QSISolutions shut down. It has a lot of updates including improved sound, operation and Hornmaster to make or modify about any air horn railroads uses.

[...]

All the Titan decoders have the same software. They only differ in shapes and sound files. You can program any decoder to be what ever you want from it.

Lou

Do you know which QSI decoder it is?   There are probably over a 100 different ones, and over a dozen called "titan" and bunch called FX-DO.

The SD9 has number boards and markers at both ends.    In my messing around, I have figured out they work independently - sometimes.   The information on Ports you listed is what I have learned from various Decoderpro reads.    I run mine both ways on a point to point layout, and I want to be able to turn them on in the direction of travel, and off in the other direction - both ways.

I can get the front number boards and markers to work using those ports.    But what are the ports for the rear markers and numbers boards?    Since they work independely of the front ones, I assume they are on different ports.

Robert Lopez

Hi Jim I have a qsi decoder here at my house with COVID we have been working remote. I will get you the JMRI decoder programing option you are looking for this afternoon.

From: "QSIndustries@groups.io" <QSIndustries@groups.io> on behalf of Jim B <prrjim@...>
Date: Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 7:53 AM
To: "QSIndustries@groups.io" <QSIndustries@groups.io>

Robert,

Do you know which QSI decoder it is?   There are probably over a 100 different ones, and over a dozen called "titan" and bunch called FX-DO.

The SD9 has number boards and markers at both ends.    In my messing around, I have figured out they work independently - sometimes.   The information on Ports you listed is what I have learned from various Decoderpro reads.    I run mine both ways on a point to point layout, and I want to be able to turn them on in the direction of travel, and off in the other direction - both ways.

I can get the front number boards and markers to work using those ports.    But what are the ports for the rear markers and numbers boards?    Since they work independely of the front ones, I assume they are on different ports.

Jim B

Lou,
thanks for the tips.   Some of the stuff I knew and some is new.  I have downloaded this and made a printed copy and an electronic reference copy.   I am surporside the reset is an index cv.   Most decoders are one control CV.     I did learn the indexed CVs when I got my E7s.     They are basically a memory array accessed with CVs 49 and 50 much as an array in Fortran or Basic.

I was not planing to use a function or manually turn markers on and off.   I wanted them to work automatically with the direction control.

I have not tried to resetting to factory settings.   I have read the port settings without chaning them with a bunch of different QSI decoders and all rear except the headlight list blank.    But the rear markers and number board do not always behave the same as the front ones.   this tells me they must be on a separate port.    I am reluctant to try to disassemble this unit because it would damage the detailed handrails.    I guess I will try the reset you mention next.

Robert, thanks.

By the way guys I have been able to change ports and lighting behavior on for the lights on the front end and on other units.

Thanks