Topics

Replacement sound chip for GP7

James Lucas

Hello Group.

Can I please ask a question, I have gone into ‘search’ without any success, regarding a Life Like GP7 with a QSI sound chip as fitted by LL. I am unsure how old the loco is but it runs like a dog having a top speed of 25mph. I do not think the gears are shot!!

I am thinking of trying to fit a replacement QSI chip. Is there such a thing for this loco? I run my railroad in the UK so sourcing a new chip could be an issue.

Any help/advice would be most helpful.

Thanks.

James.

Bob Menzies

you could try changing CV 5 to 255 and CV6 to 128 to see if someone has put a custom speed table in the unit. Shut off the CV's that would activate a custom speed table.

On Thu., Aug. 13, 2020, 11:09 a.m. James Lucas via groups.io, <james.lucas=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Group.

Can I please ask a question, I have gone into ‘search’ without any success, regarding a Life Like GP7 with a QSI sound chip as fitted by LL. I am unsure how old the loco is but it runs like a dog having a top speed of 25mph. I do not think the gears are shot!!

I am thinking of trying to fit a replacement QSI chip. Is there such a thing for this loco? I run my railroad in the UK so sourcing a new chip could be an issue.

Any help/advice would be most helpful.

Thanks.

James.

James Lucas

Thank you Bob. I'll give that a try in the morning when I go upto the loft!!

James.

Jon Miller

On 8/13/2020 12:20 PM, Bob Menzies wrote:
I am unsure how old the loco is but it runs like a dog having a top speed of 25mph. I do not think the gears are shot!!

    I typically set all my engines at about 50% using the speed tables.  I know many others that do the same.  So check that.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Bob Waldele

James

Is this a recent problem or has the unit always been slow?

If this is truly a Life-Like unit (manufactured before they were acquired by Walthers) another possibility is you may have one (or more) cracked axle gears.  You might consider tearing down the truck assemblies and thoroughly cleaning out the old lubricant, inspect the axle gears; if it is a 15-20y/o Life-Like engine, replace the axle gears (your local dealer should have those from Walthers (or Athearn replacement gears will also work).  Old grease and accumulated dust, grit, etc., can really gum up the works!

Good luck.

Bob.Waldele

Can I please ask a question, I have gone into ‘search’ without any success, regarding a Life Like GP7 with a QSI sound chip as fitted by LL. I am unsure how old the loco is but it runs like a dog having a top speed of 25mph. I do not think the gears are shot!!

I am thinking of trying to fit a replacement QSI chip. Is there such a thing for this loco? I run my railroad in the UK so sourcing a new chip could be an issue.

Any help/advice would be most helpful.

Thanks.

James.

James Lucas

Gents.

Many thanks for all your comments which I think I will be able to, from a skills position, give it a try!

Yes my LL loco is about 20 years old.

James.

NMRA BR Membership Renewals Officer and Registrar.