Quantum programmer not functioning

Joó Ferenc

I last used my programmer two months ago and it worked perfectly but doesn't now, I get some error message. Is it common for the Quantum Programmer to fail?

Üdvözlettel / Best regards / MfG,

Joó Ferenc / Ferenc Joó
NOHAB Apartman
Badacsonytördemic, Hungary
http://nohabapartman.hu
GSM: +36 20 4141 621

Sent from Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017) phone

Kevin Strong

My first guess would be that a Windows update did something to the drivers for the programmer. You can try to reinstall those and see if that makes a difference. (I don't know what platform you're using to run the driver, so I'm going to assume Windows 10. I run mine from an old XP machine which Microsoft no longer tries to update.)

Later,

On 01/25/2021 2:56 PM Joó Ferenc <ferencj@...> wrote:

I last used my programmer two months ago and it worked perfectly but doesn't now, I get some error message. Is it common for the Quantum Programmer to fail?

Üdvözlettel / Best regards / MfG,

Joó Ferenc / Ferenc Joó
NOHAB Apartman
Badacsonytördemic, Hungary
http://nohabapartman.hu
GSM: +36 20 4141 621

Sent from Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017) phone

Greg Elmassian

It is not common for the programmer to fail.

But if you try to run a loco with the JMRI throttle, you can definitely destroy the output transistors drawing too much current.

In general, do not do this with any G scale loco, confine yourself to exercising sounds, not the motor.

But first, what exactly is the error message?

Greg

Joó Ferenc

Greg,

When I try to turn on the sound with F6 or the lights with F0 (i.e. not driving the motors), I get the messages. I am not sure what you mean by JMRI throttle. Is that the built-in throttle of the Quantum CV Manager? As I only used the QSI supplied Quantum CV Manager.

One error message I get says:
SI_Read requested=4 read=2

The other:
SI_Read returns SI_REAF_TIMED_OUT

There is a very quiet short buzz from the programmer and the red light starts blinking quickly.

Thanks!

Üdvözlettel,
Best regards,
MfG,

Ferenc Joó
Correspondent for Hungary
TREU - Today's Railways Europe
IRJ - International Railway Journal
GSM:   +36204141621

NOHAB Apartment
8263 Badacsonytördemic
Debreczenyi u. 9. / HUNGARY
"The holiday apartment on Lake Balaton
with its own garden railway!"

Greg Elmassian <greg@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. jan. 26., K, 8:15):

It is not common for the programmer to fail.

But if you try to run a loco with the JMRI throttle, you can definitely destroy the output transistors drawing too much current.

In general, do not do this with any G scale loco, confine yourself to exercising sounds, not the motor.

But first, what exactly is the error message?

Greg

Greg Elmassian

That looks like an error from the Silicon labs driver.

Let me ask a few things:
1. what version of firmware is on your programmer
2. what version of CV Manager are you using
3. what version of Quantum Update are you using?
4 running Quantum update, can you read the loco firmware from the decoder?

Greg

peteski7

Hmm  . . .  the buzz and flashing red light seems to me to indicate a hardware problem.  Is the loco you are trying to access with the Quantum programmer fully functional? Can you run it problem-free on your regular DCC system?

What model is it? What decoder is installed?

Peteski

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 02:39 AM, Joó Ferenc wrote:
When I try to turn on the sound with F6 or the lights with F0 (i.e. not driving the motors), I get the messages. I am not sure what you mean by JMRI throttle. Is that the built-in throttle of the Quantum CV Manager? As I only used the QSI supplied Quantum CV Manager.

One error message I get says:
SI_Read requested=4 read=2

The other:
SI_Read returns SI_REAF_TIMED_OUT

There is a very quiet short buzz from the programmer and the red light starts blinking quickly.

Joó Ferenc

Thank you Greg and Peteski,

Upon receiving a hint that such issues have already been discussed in the group archives, I was able to check that probably the 2 Ohm resistor in the Programmer is damaged. I will first try to replace this and then try again.

peteski7 via groups.io <peteski7=yahoo.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. jan. 27., Sze, 2:47):

[...]

So, the quantum programmer can power the Titans in ops mode, and you can safely play the sounds.

Running the loco is NOT safe, and often you burn up the programmer's output if you draw too much current.

I know G scale locos can do this, don't ask me how I know!

Resist the impulse to run your locos from the programmer, put it on the track and run your regular DCC system.

Greg

kelly dorf

Use a program track!  One loco at a time.
Kelly

Joó Ferenc

Thanks but that's what I do and always have done...

kelly dorf <kelly.dorf@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. febr. 17., Sze 2:43):

Use a program track!  One loco at a time.
Kelly

Joó Ferenc

Greg, I did say I get the error message when trying to power up the loco or turn on lights.

So no, the Programmer can not power the Titans, but thanks for the hint. What component might be damaged if I did use the Programmer to run the loco before, please?

Thank you.

Greg Elmassian <greg@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. febr. 17., Sze 0:41):

So, the quantum programmer can power the Titans in ops mode, and you can safely play the sounds.

Running the loco is NOT safe, and often you burn up the programmer's output if you draw too much current.

I know G scale locos can do this, don't ask me how I know!

Resist the impulse to run your locos from the programmer, put it on the track and run your regular DCC system.

Greg

Greg Elmassian

Edited

I missed your reply, somehow not all messages were displaying...

So, it can be easy to exceed the power output of the QSI programmer when trying to run motor, not usually lights.

You can burn up the resistor, the output transistor or the chip... have seen all 3...

I was assuming you were using the QSI CVManager software.

Greg

Joó Ferenc

Greg,

Yes, I was using the Quantum CV Manager software.

Now you have got me lost.

I thought you meant not to use the cab (driving) function in CV Manager with G scale locos.

Is there any other way to drive them via the Quantum Programmer?

Or was that not what you were referring to?

Probably I best get a new Programmer. I shouldn't have sold my second one...

Üdvözlettel / Best regards / MfG,

Joó Ferenc / Ferenc Joó
NOHAB Apartman
Badacsonytördemic, Hungary
http://nohabapartman.hu
GSM: +36 20 4141 621

Sent from Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017) phone

Greg Elmassian <greg@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. febr. 17., Sze 6:31):

[Edited Message Follows]

I missed your reply, somehow not all messages were displaying...

So, it can be easy to exceed the power output of the QSI programmer when trying to run motor, not usually lights.

You can burn up the resistor, the output transistor or the chip... have seen all 3...

I was assuming you were using the QSI CVManager software.

Greg

Joó Ferenc

Greg,

The loco works fine on regular DCC throttle.

When using CV Manager, there is sound so cables are good. But any further action such as switching on a function or using a function button for sound brings up the error codes.

When I try to retrieve loco info with Quantum Upgrade, I get an error message, too.

The CV Manager is version 3.1.0.7 from 2016.
Quantum Upgrade is version 3.1.0.0.

How do you know what firmware is on the programmer?

Looks to me like the Programmer has a hardware fault. If I had a wiring diagram for the Programmer, a guy here could check which component is bust,

Greg Elmassian <greg@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. jan. 26., K, 17:55):

That looks like an error from the Silicon labs driver.

Let me ask a few things:
1. what version of firmware is on your programmer
2. what version of CV Manager are you using
3. what version of Quantum Update are you using?
4 running Quantum update, can you read the loco firmware from the decoder?

Greg

Greg Elmassian

Joo,

Let's start at the beginning...

Run the quantum programmer software.... then on the following page, follow the instructions: Firmware version/upgrading

https://elmassian.com/index.php/dcc/specific-manufacturers/qsi-equipment/qsi-programmer-hw-a-sw

This testing will verify:
  • the programmer is responding
  • the output stage is working (be sure you are connected to a QSI decoder)
  • the firmware version

Let's start by verifying the basics

Greg