QSI QUANTUM PRORAMMER WINDOWS 10

pdixon56@...

I just got a QSI quantum programmer and tried installing using windows 10 system. No luck installing drivers using QP_USBXp_installer.exe even when running as administrator the message says it's being blocked by administrator.
Is there anyone who can lead me to a solution other than finding an old op system computer? I'm new at this and wonder if is worth the effort. I have a Lionel HO Challenger and thought perhaps I could experiment with new sound files?

Greg Elmassian

I would search the forum, lots of articles you could read, also a install guide in the files area.

https://groups.io/g/QSIndustries/message/18060?p=%2C%2C%2C20%2C0%2C0%2C0%3A%3ACreated%2C%2Csilabs+driver+windows+10%2C20%2C1%2C0%2C40387637

Greg
--
check out my web site, lots of tips on trains, dcc, etc. https://elmassian.com email  greg@...

peterebherron

If you google it you will find 3 workarounds but I found none worked for me or a friend who is an IT expert. He was able to do it but I don’t understand how exactly. Something about registry. The other issue is once it’s loaded certain Windows “upgrades” will trash it and your program will not work again. I have it installed in a laptop that I’ve blocked all upgrades from.

It’s hardly worth it for 1 engine unless you have an IT expert friend. You can play with it 1 CV at a time with your DCC programmer.

Peter

The only thing I can add is that it is a pain in the xxx. I had to find a friend who could work with me. We had to work via email and it took me a week to get it working. Yes, it involves getting through the registry - something I would not have attempted if not for the friends instructions. Scary to say the least. But - it can be done. I now have it.--- But like peter, it's on a laptop. FYI The laptop is exclusively MR so is used off line. I have not had any problem - yet - with updates. But as peter has mentioned, is it worth the trouble. Another FYI. I have only one loco, and yes, it's not worth the effort. But I will say that once I had it installed, it's a hoot to work with. IMHO just a fun project.
Morgan F Bilbo, DCS50, UT4D, UR93, SPROGIIv4, JMRI 4.24, Pennsy modeler 1952

Kevin Strong

I had the same lack of luck with the Windows 10 "workarounds." Instead, I just used an older XP laptop whenever I had to program the QSI boards. That seemed to work just fine at the time. I haven't done anything with QSI boards in years since, though.

Later,

On 03/24/2022 2:27 PM peterebherron <peterebherron@...> wrote:

If you google it you will find 3 workarounds but I found none worked for me or a friend who is an IT expert. He was able to do it but I don’t understand how exactly. Something about registry. The other issue is once it’s loaded certain Windows “upgrades” will trash it and your program will not work again. I have it installed in a laptop that I’ve blocked all upgrades from.

It’s hardly worth it for 1 engine unless you have an IT expert friend. You can play with it 1 CV at a time with your DCC programmer.

Peter

peteski7

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 07:11 PM, Kevin Strong wrote:
I had the same lack of luck with the Windows 10 "workarounds." Instead, I just used an older XP laptop whenever I had to program the QSI boards. That seemed to work just fine at the time. I haven't done anything with QSI boards in years since, though.

Later,
That is really the easiest and least painful solution.
That is the reason I still have computers at home running Win98SE and XP at home.  Those vintage computers painlessly handle all of my "legacy" hardware and software that will never get upgraded.  Eazy-peasy.  I do not use those computers to go on the Internet, but they have file shares set up so I can easily excange files between all my home computers.

I do my own hardware and software maintenance on those PCs.  I have full backups install media, and spare hardware. But for less technically inclined, you can find older PCs (desktop and laptop) with Win XP preinstalled available for sale.  They are not very expensive either.

Peteski

Matthew Ablett

Me too. To be fair I've done exactly the same as what Kevin has described, got hold of an old laptop, installed Windows XP... job done!

Kind regards, Matt.

[...]

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

I hate to say me too, but I had fits with Win10 for both QSI and ESU. So I bought a copy of Win8 and installed that in a VM. No problems on my Mac.

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Mn42 in 1923
group_list@...

On 25March2022, at 02:32, Matthew Ablett via groups.io <matthewablett@...> wrote:

Me too. To be fair I've done exactly the same as what Kevin has described, got hold of an old laptop, installed Windows XP... job done!

Kind regards, Matt.
--
Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and 35n42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@...

Donald Goveas

Sorry guys,
I am among the fortunate few to have successfully  installed the Driver, but I use a slightly different driver from Silicon Labs, the 210xVCP windows driver. You need to install the Drivers first with full Administrator rights. If Windows refuses to do that, there is a Registry fix, which will allow you to do it. Next install the QSI programer software. Ofcourse, it will not work. You will need to manually install the above driver in Device Manager.
Very rarely some of the Win 10 updates will uninstall the driver. Load the drivers manually again, as the drivers will not be uninstalled from your PC.
Hope this helps, in case of help PM me, no problems.
Best Regards
Donald

--
Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and 35n42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@...

Donald Goveas

Hello,
The drivers can download from Silicon Labs website as 'CP210x_Universal_Windows_Driver.zip'
Best regards
Donald

--
Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and 35n42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@...

Greg Elmassian

around and around...  you are both right and both wrong:

  • The older versions of the QSI software used the older driver
  • The newer versions of the QSI software need the VCP driver

I have not narrowed down the version of CV Manager and Q2/Quantum upgrade this changed at.

If you want to use the latest versions, use the SiLabs VCP driver.

EITHER driver can be made to install with windows 10, normally with the "unsigned driver" trick, have not been forced into the registry changes.

About to put it on a windows 11 machine, will report back.

I use the older versions of the QSI software that have all the extra features of the Titan, in the now-gone "Engineering" menu, so I use the driver with "XP" in the title.

Greg

--
check out my web site, lots of tips on trains, dcc, etc. https://elmassian.com email  greg@...

Greg Elmassian

"pdixon": did you solve your issue yet?

I can help, but bring your windows up to the current version first please... build 19044.1620 (type "winver" after pressing the start button)

--
check out my web site, lots of tips on trains, dcc, etc. https://elmassian.com email  greg@...