QSI Q1a Ontario Northland horn

Alex Stanojevic

Hi all,

I have two P2K GP9II HO units of Ontario Northland. Does anyone know the horn type used by Ontario Northland.

QSI produced number of q1a sound files related to GP9 diesel. Which one is the correct one for Ontario Northland?

Regards

Alex

Dan Howard

Alex,

After looking at a number of photos online, it appears these locomotives have a 3 chime horn, although I don't know which one.

My sound file recommendations are either 112-12 with the Nathan K3 or 112-14 with the Leslie S-3.

-Dan

Alex Stanojevic

Dan,

Thank you very much. I will load those files into Q1a programmer and test.

I bought those Ontario Northlander P2K units at the trade show in Woodstock Ontario. Therefore I can not say if the sound files are the original ones or subsequently loaded into those models.

Regards

Alex

On Aug 25, 2021, at 11:03, Dan Howard via groups.io <stm5468@...> wrote:

Alex,

After looking at a number of photos online, it appears these locomotives have a 3 chime horn, although I don't know which one.

My sound file recommendations are either 112-12 with the Nathan K3 or 112-14 with the Leslie S-3.

-Dan

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

Alex;

As these are Canadian units, they will have the Canadian D# minor chord.  Quite harsh and not a US sound at all.
From looking at pics it appears to be a Holden (Nathan) K3HR.  Maybe Dan can offer a number with that horn rather than the US chord.

For Nathan/Airchime ya want  either a M3H or K3H but not the K3HA.  The later is a weird US thing.
For Leslie ya want an S3K.

TCC:}

Alex Stanojevic

Thank you TCC,

So its a three chime D# minor dominant. I will try playing K3H, M3H and S3K sound files and compare with Youtube video recordings of Ontario Northland.

Regards

Alex

On Aug 25, 2021, at 17:39, Talmadge C 'TC' Carr <group_list@...> wrote:

Alex;

As these are Canadian units, they will have the Canadian D# minor chord.  Quite harsh and not a US sound at all.
From looking at pics it appears to be a Holden (Nathan) K3HR.  Maybe Dan can offer a number with that horn rather than the US chord.

For Nathan/Airchime ya want  either a M3H or K3H but not the K3HA.  The later is a weird US thing.
For Leslie ya want an S3K.

TCC:}

Kelzenberg, David C

I’m not an expert on train horn makes and models, but this confuses me.  Not sure what a “D# dominant” is  (D# minor is D#-F#-A#, the “dominant” of that minor chord would be an A# major chord, A#-Cx-E#.  Sorry, 10 years of college music theory.)  I can’t tell you what would be appropriate for your Canadian horn, but I heard hundreds of three-chime horns back in the 50s and 60s (as well as the single note “honks” that were very common but mostly disappeared long ago) and in those days they were always a major chord in first inversion, like D-F-Bb, a much prettier sound than the D# minor triad.

David C. Kelzenberg

Iowa City, IA  52240  USA

So its a three chime D# minor dominant. I will try playing K3H, M3H and S3K sound files and compare with Youtube video recordings of Ontario Northland.

Regards

Alex

On Aug 25, 2021, at 17:39, Talmadge C 'TC' Carr <group_list@...> wrote:

Alex;

As these are Canadian units, they will have the Canadian D# minor chord.  Quite harsh and not a US sound at all.
From looking at pics it appears to be a Holden (Nathan) K3HR.  Maybe Dan can offer a number with that horn rather than the US chord.

For Nathan/Airchime ya want  either a M3H or K3H but not the K3HA.  The later is a weird US thing.
For Leslie ya want an S3K.

TCC:}

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

The D# minor triad is mandated by Canadian Law because it is so displeasing.
Train horns derived from boat horns and so the pleasing, or less harsh, tones of most.

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@dapenguin.net

On 25August2021, at 21:22, Kelzenberg, David C <david-kelzenberg@uiowa.edu> wrote:

I’m not an expert on train horn makes and models, but this confuses me. Not sure what a “D# dominant” is (D# minor is D#-F#-A#, the “dominant” of that minor chord would be an A# major chord, A#-Cx-E#. Sorry, 10 years of college music theory.) I can’t tell you what would be appropriate for your Canadian horn, but I heard hundreds of three-chime horns back in the 50s and 60s (as well as the single note “honks” that were very common but mostly disappeared long ago) and in those days they were always a major chord in first inversion, like D-F-Bb, a much prettier sound than the D# minor triad.

I guess what I'm finding out from this thread, is: The Canadian gov't tells the railroads which horn to use. They want a distinctive one that don't sound like anything else. Not a U.S. loco horn. Not an ambulance, fire truck, police car, etc. Totally and only used by train locos. Am I right? No wonder I always preferred a steam whistle. <large grin>
Morgan F Bilbo, DCS50, UT4D, UR93, SPROGIIv4, JMRI 4.24, Pennsy modeler 1952

Alex Stanojevic

David,

From the discussion so far, it is my understanding that D# chime is the loudest of three. More like a distress sound. The other two complement the first, more like a cord.

It would help if someone knew where Ontario Northland is keeping record of their operations data for necessary licensing. They would have to have a record of the chime types in use.

Regards

Alex

On Aug 26, 2021, at 00:22, Kelzenberg, David C <david-kelzenberg@...> wrote:

[...]

From looking at pics it appears to be a Holden (Nathan) K3HR.  Maybe Dan can offer a number with that horn rather than the US chord.

For Nathan/Airchime ya want  either a M3H or K3H but not the K3HA.  The later is a weird US thing.
For Leslie ya want an S3K.

TCC:}

Dan Howard

Maybe an email to this organization could be helpful: https://www.onrhts.org/