Q1 Motor Diode Chips

ffbrehm@...

Hello all, this is my first post since the group moved from Yahoo.

I smoked a Q1 decoder from a Proto GP30. The chip is next to the motor connector. Number is ZXMC 3A16 0406. I believe it is for motor control. Does anyone know where or if these chips are available?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would just like to save this decoder instead of using a revolution. This locomotive only needs headlight and reverse lights.

Frank Brehm

kjlovesya

Hi Frank,

Unfortunately, obsolescence is a thing.   I know that's why QSI went to the Titan design instead of continuing the Q1a / Revolution decoder.  I don't know if components of that era are still available.  Fact is, most technology is obsolete after 10 years.  Unless the component requires some kind of programming, you might try an electronics surplus store.

What caused the malfunction in the first place? e.g. short in the motor, weak field magnets (increases current draw), etc.  

Personally, if you like the locomotive, I feel it's worth the investment in the Titan - U.   There are so many improvements in the Titan I cannot list them here.   There is just so much more operation and sound realism.

Best regards,
KJ

ffbrehm@...

Hi KJ,

What caused it? A short on one of the motor leads, now fixed that I missed seeing.

I am looking at some possible replacements for the chip as I believe it is a motor control with 3 diodes inside.

I do have a few Q1a / Revolution A and U’s as well as some Titans, just hate to lose what was still a good decoder for sound and basic light functions.

Thanks for the reply,

Frank

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of kjlovesya via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 8:51 AM
To: QSIndustries@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Q1 Motor Diode Chips

Hi Frank,

Unfortunately, obsolescence is a thing.   I know that's why QSI went to the Titan design instead of continuing the Q1a / Revolution decoder.  I don't know if components of that era are still available.  Fact is, most technology is obsolete after 10 years.  Unless the component requires some kind of programming, you might try an electronics surplus store.

What caused the malfunction in the first place? e.g. short in the motor, weak field magnets (increases current draw), etc.  

Personally, if you like the locomotive, I feel it's worth the investment in the Titan - U.   There are so many improvements in the Titan I cannot list them here.   There is just so much more operation and sound realism.

Best regards,
KJ

kjlovesya

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your reply.   Come to think of it, Kelly (of QSI) mentioned the motor output runs through an H bridge chip.  I don't know about availability.  Have you tried directly contacting Kelly?

If you have a replacement Titan I would use it.   There are so many feature upgrades in the vastly superior Titan.  Gone is the crappy prime mover (UFO whir) sound.

The Q1 decoder can be repurposed into something else.   e.g.  a commuter cab car with horn, bell and lights.   I did a couple of commuter cab cars with repurposed Revolution decoders (great horns and lights, but lousy prime movers) turned down all motor and prime mover functions and it works beautifully.   Alternately, the Q1 would probably make a decent caboose decoder.

Best regards,
KJ

ffbrehm@...

Hi KJ,

I’ll contact Kelly, that’s a good idea. I’m mulling over using a Titan.

Thanks for your help,

Frank

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of kjlovesya via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2021 9:27 AM

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your reply.   Come to think of it, Kelly (of QSI) mentioned the motor output runs through an H bridge chip.  I don't know about availability.  Have you tried directly contacting Kelly?

If you have a replacement Titan I would use it.   There are so many feature upgrades in the vastly superior Titan.  Gone is the crappy prime mover (UFO whir) sound.

The Q1 decoder can be repurposed into something else.   e.g.  a commuter cab car with horn, bell and lights.   I did a couple of commuter cab cars with repurposed Revolution decoders (great horns and lights, but lousy prime movers) turned down all motor and prime mover functions and it works beautifully.   Alternately, the Q1 would probably make a decent caboose decoder.

Best regards,
KJ

peteski7

I have found a replacement MOSFET transistor pair chip (8 lead device) for the one in the motor driver H-Bridge on QSI Revolution board used in the Walthers N scale Mallet loco.  I replaced the blown chip, and that fixed the decoder.  But the transistor pair chip on that  decoder has different markings than "ZXMC 3A16 0406".

Peteski

ffbrehm@...

Hi Peteski,

I think I’m going to retire the decoder that I had that let the smoke out and use either a Revolution or Titan.

Time to move to a newer model.

Frank

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of peteski7 via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2021 10:50 PM

I have found a replacement MOSFET transistor pair chip (8 lead device) for the one in the motor driver H-Bridge on QSI Revolution board used in the Walthers N scale Mallet loco.  I replaced the blown chip, and that fixed the decoder.  But the transistor pair chip on that  decoder has different markings than "ZXMC 3A16 0406".

Peteski

Donald Goveas

Hi, 
This the datasheet of the device, any equivalent matching the data and profile is a direct replacement.
Donald

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 1:12 AM <ffbrehm@...> wrote:

Hi Peteski,

I think I’m going to retire the decoder that I had that let the smoke out and use either a Revolution or Titan.

Frank

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of peteski7 via groups.io

Peteski

Donald Goveas

Hello Peteski,
This ia list of equivalents with data & profic for ZXMC3A16

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 10:12 AM Donald Goveas via groups.io <goveas.donald=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi, 
This the datasheet of the device, any equivalent matching the data and profile is a direct replacement.
Donald

Hi Peteski,

Frank

Peteski

ffbrehm@...

Hi Donald,

I looked and found those but being electronically challenged was not sure they would work. May have to order a couple and give them a try.

Nothing to lose at this point.

Frank

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald Goveas
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 8:42 PM

Hi, 

Donald

Hi Peteski,

Frank

Peteski

Geoffb

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 09:04 PM, <ffbrehm@...> wrote:
ZXMC 3A16 0406
The part you are looking for is a ZXMC3A16DN8 and it is still available from digikey.com as : part #ZXMC3A16DN8TR-ND
Mosfet Array N and P-Channel 30V 4.9A, 4.1A 1.25W Surface Mount 8-SO

Digikey is a solid reputable distributor and will accept small orders.

This part is half of the H-Bridge output driver used in the Q1 small outline decoders.
You can also contact QSI directly and ask if they can repair your decoder (very likely).

Have fun!  :-)
Best regards,
Geoff Bunza

ffbrehm@...

Thank you.

Always have fun, it’s model railroading after all.

Frank

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of Geoffb
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 9:55 PM

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 09:04 PM, <ffbrehm@...> wrote:

ZXMC 3A16 0406

The part you are looking for is a ZXMC3A16DN8 and it is still available from digikey.com as : part #ZXMC3A16DN8TR-ND
Mosfet Array N and P-Channel 30V 4.9A, 4.1A 1.25W Surface Mount 8-SO

Digikey is a solid reputable distributor and will accept small orders.

This part is half of the H-Bridge output driver used in the Q1 small outline decoders.
You can also contact QSI directly and ask if they can repair your decoder (very likely).

Have fun!  :-)
Best regards,
Geoff Bunza