Topics

Programming Titan with NCE

Jay Beckham

As I recall in programming the basics e.g. address with NCE, I can only program on the Main???

I do have the programming booster running to the programing track.  Might that programing with the NCE cab?

Thanks

Jay Beckham

My Blog https://jaysoscalelayout.blogspot.com/

Join us at JayOScaleLayout+subscribe@groups.io

Ed.Sauers

Jay,

When you power up your NCE system press the "prog" button (bottom left) until you see "use program track" if you select this it turns off the mail power and you can use the program track to make your changes. The program track should be a separate section of track and you need to run wires from the NCE box (terminals marked program track) to the programming track. Remember, when changing addresses with a loco that has keep alive could or usually requires you to turn off the power and wait for the KA to drain down before turning the power back on. If you fail to do this the change might not be applied.

Ed Sauers

On 8/21/2020 2:16 PM, Jay Beckham wrote:

As I recall in programming the basics e.g. address with NCE, I can only program on the Main???

I do have the programming booster running to the programing track.  Might that programing with the NCE cab?

Thanks

Jay Beckham

My Blog https://jaysoscalelayout.blogspot.com/

Join us at JayOScaleLayout+subscribe@groups.io

Lou

Jay,

If you have the QSI programmer connected and working you can program just about any way you want.

  1. Using the NCE system (1)  Use the NCE system as you always have using the index CVs as needed,  a real pain.
  2. Using the NCE System (2)  Use either JMRI or CVManager with the NCE system. Installing either software program. In either program you just need to setup the computer port the programmer is used with. This is from memory, I haven’t done this in a long time,
  3. Use the QSI Programmer as the control system with either program.

I found the QSI CVManager software is easier, at least for me, to program with. The layout of the sound setting pages was easier for me to understand. Both programs will get the job done.

I usually set up the QSI decoders on my desk with a piece of track. I program the decoder as needed. CVManager allows you to easily change between Programming Track and Program on the Main. Once I have everything set the way I want, I them transfer the locomotive to my layout and do a Read All CVs through JMRI so I have a record along with all my other locomotives. It is the way that worked f or me.

One thing I learned is that my NCE system does not like to do a complete Read All CVs. I found it better to read all the CVs page by page instead all at one read.

Use the message search in the group archive. There is a lot of information way back in  the early days to help you out.

Good Luck.

Lou