From: PennsyNut <pennsynut@...>
Date: 8/31/20 10:18 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: QSIndustries@groups.io
Subject: [QSIndustries] Older QSI decoder

Hello. New to this forum. My decoder is a QSI installed in a BLI PCM PRR I1sa bought in 2010. I had taken it out of the box, and on a club layout, changed the 03 to the loco #4538. Ran it a bit. It worked at that time. I then put it back in the box. I didn't have any way to run it until Nov 2019. I took it out of the box and it wouldn't read in JMRI with my SPROG2, but ran on my layout/with DCS50 and the #4538. I finally got it to read on JMRI and simply made a xml of it as an original. I then ran it a bit more on the layout. But no momentum, etc. I then put it back on the pt and changed CV's for speed table and momentum. But it wouldn't run. ? So back on the layout with DCS50 and nothing runs. The headlight comes on, the loco makes noises. But - no bell,whistle, etc. and won't run. Can anyone on this forum help me? The QSI is v7 and is listed exactly in JMRI. But simply don't run. And any further info required, just let me know. Also, if this isn't the right place, where is?

PennsyNut <pennsynut@...>

Keith. Just tried. No difference. I must ask about f6. On the throttle, it shows "doppler effect". I double checked, that's what f6 is labeled. I do know I've seen it labeled differently elsewhere as "start up", but have no idea what any of that means. I feel like a fish out of water. FYI. I tried this on both the pt with SPROG2, and with the DCS50 on the layout. CV 19 is definitely 0. Next idea? or next step? Is there something I should change to make f6 start up instead of doppler? I don't remember every "setting shutdown" and wouldn't even know how.

Keith Albright

Try function 9 press once

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Keith. Just tried. No difference. I must ask about f6. On the throttle, it shows "doppler effect". I double checked, that's what f6 is labeled. I do know I've seen it labeled differently elsewhere as "start up", but have no idea what any of that means. I feel like a fish out of water. FYI. I tried this on both the pt with SPROG2, and with the DCS50 on the layout. CV 19 is definitely 0. Next idea? or next step? Is there something I should change to make f6 start up instead of doppler? I don't remember every "setting shutdown" and wouldn't even know how.

Keith Albright

F6 on early qsi was start up F9 was shut down. That was later changed to f9 for both.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Keith. Just tried. No difference. I must ask about f6. On the throttle, it shows "doppler effect". I double checked, that's what f6 is labeled. I do know I've seen it labeled differently elsewhere as "start up", but have no idea what any of that means. I feel like a fish out of water. FYI. I tried this on both the pt with SPROG2, and with the DCS50 on the layout. CV 19 is definitely 0. Next idea? or next step? Is there something I should change to make f6 start up instead of doppler? I don't remember every "setting shutdown" and wouldn't even know how.

Ed.Sauers

Keith,

Are you sure about this, all my Titans respond to F6 for startup and F9 three times for a complete shutdown!!

Ed Sauers

On 8/31/2020 2:19 PM, Keith Albright via groups.io wrote:
F6 on early qsi was start up F9 was shut down. That was later changed to f9 for both.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Keith. Just tried. No difference. I must ask about f6. On the throttle, it shows "doppler effect". I double checked, that's what f6 is labeled. I do know I've seen it labeled differently elsewhere as "start up", but have no idea what any of that means. I feel like a fish out of water. FYI. I tried this on both the pt with SPROG2, and with the DCS50 on the layout. CV 19 is definitely 0. Next idea? or next step? Is there something I should change to make f6 start up instead of doppler? I don't remember every "setting shutdown" and wouldn't even know how.

Keith Albright

I would reset the decoder. Follow the instructions for your specific version. It may be corrupted or you accidentally changed a cv. I've had to deal with quite a few for our club and it's faster to reset it an start over with the XML file I have in the computer

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

From: PennsyNut <pennsynut@...>
Date: 8/31/20 4:36 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: QSIndustries@groups.io

[...]

Lou

Pennsynut,

Perhaps you could provide us with your real name, it makes it much friendlier on here.

If you have a QSI old decoder I would suggest that you get with Kelly Dorf at QSI. First off, your decoder can probably be upgraded with a new chip to improve operations. It would be worth the expense if it is available for your decoder. He can offer some tips to try and reset it or you could send it in to him for repair/upgrade. He can be reached at kelly.dorf@....  He is very helpful but may take a bit to respond, depending on wat is happening at QSI.

The best way to reset the decoder is with the magnetic reed switch located in a glass tube on the decoder. Put the unit on a powered track, touch a magnet to the switch and then remove it from power. Power it up again and it should say RESET.

Good Luck.

Lou