Topics

Older QSI decoder

PennsyNut <pennsynut@...>

Hello. New to this forum. My decoder is a QSI installed in a BLI PCM PRR I1sa bought in 2010. I had taken it out of the box, and on a club layout, changed the 03 to the loco #4538. Ran it a bit. It worked at that time. I then put it back in the box. I didn't have any way to run it until Nov 2019. I took it out of the box and it wouldn't read in JMRI with my SPROG2, but ran on my layout/with DCS50 and the #4538. I finally got it to read on JMRI and simply made a xml of it as an original. I then ran it a bit more on the layout. But no momentum, etc. I then put it back on the pt and changed CV's for speed table and momentum. But it wouldn't run. ? So back on the layout with DCS50 and nothing runs. The headlight comes on, the loco makes noises. But - no bell,whistle, etc. and won't run. Can anyone on this forum help me? The QSI is v7 and is listed exactly in JMRI. But simply don't run. And any further info required, just let me know. Also, if this isn't the right place, where is?

Keith Albright

Make sure cv19 is 0. Also press function 6 3 times in case you set shutdown. 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/31/20 10:18 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: QSIndustries@groups.io
Subject: [QSIndustries] Older QSI decoder

Hello. New to this forum. My decoder is a QSI installed in a BLI PCM PRR I1sa bought in 2010. I had taken it out of the box, and on a club layout, changed the 03 to the loco #4538. Ran it a bit. It worked at that time. I then put it back in the box. I didn't have any way to run it until Nov 2019. I took it out of the box and it wouldn't read in JMRI with my SPROG2, but ran on my layout/with DCS50 and the #4538. I finally got it to read on JMRI and simply made a xml of it as an original. I then ran it a bit more on the layout. But no momentum, etc. I then put it back on the pt and changed CV's for speed table and momentum. But it wouldn't run. ? So back on the layout with DCS50 and nothing runs. The headlight comes on, the loco makes noises. But - no bell,whistle, etc. and won't run. Can anyone on this forum help me? The QSI is v7 and is listed exactly in JMRI. But simply don't run. And any further info required, just let me know. Also, if this isn't the right place, where is?

Keith. Just tried. No difference. I must ask about f6. On the throttle, it shows "doppler effect". I double checked, that's what f6 is labeled. I do know I've seen it labeled differently elsewhere as "start up", but have no idea what any of that means. I feel like a fish out of water. FYI. I tried this on both the pt with SPROG2, and with the DCS50 on the layout. CV 19 is definitely 0. Next idea? or next step? Is there something I should change to make f6 start up instead of doppler? I don't remember every "setting shutdown" and wouldn't even know how.

Keith Albright

Try function 9 press once

Date: 8/31/20 2:08 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Older QSI decoder

Keith. Just tried. No difference. I must ask about f6. On the throttle, it shows "doppler effect". I double checked, that's what f6 is labeled. I do know I've seen it labeled differently elsewhere as "start up", but have no idea what any of that means. I feel like a fish out of water. FYI. I tried this on both the pt with SPROG2, and with the DCS50 on the layout. CV 19 is definitely 0. Next idea? or next step? Is there something I should change to make f6 start up instead of doppler? I don't remember every "setting shutdown" and wouldn't even know how.

Keith Albright

F6 on early qsi was start up F9 was shut down. That was later changed to f9 for both. 

Ed.Sauers

Keith,

Are you sure about this, all my Titans respond to F6 for startup and F9 three times for a complete shutdown!!

Ed Sauers

On 8/31/2020 2:19 PM, Keith Albright via groups.io wrote:
F6 on early qsi was start up F9 was shut down. That was later changed to f9 for both. 

Just tried that too. Again, no difference. Also again, tried both pt and layout.

Keith Albright

Titans are much newer. By what I read this is a much earlier decoder. I have 6 of these

Date: 8/31/20 2:28 PM (GMT-05:00)

Keith,

Are you sure about this, all my Titans respond to F6 for startup and F9 three times for a complete shutdown!!

Ed Sauers

On 8/31/2020 2:19 PM, Keith Albright via groups.io wrote:

Keith Albright

I would reset the decoder. Follow the instructions for your specific version. It may be corrupted or you accidentally changed a cv. I've had to deal with quite a few for our club and it's faster to reset it an start over with the XML file I have in the computer

Date: 8/31/20 2:29 PM (GMT-05:00)

Just tried that too. Again, no difference. Also again, tried both pt and layout.

I have attempted many times now to reset. I followed the YouTube video on exactly how to do it. But nothing happens. No sound. No reset. It is a major struggle for me to first of all, to get the darn plastic tender body off. And when I do, it is connected to the decoder board by the wires to the tender light. Leaving them alone. I can get the little black thingy off the 2 prongs. I then tried to get power to the rails. But how can you do that with either JMRI throttle on pt or DCS50 power on layout - without inputting a number. I tried the correct 4538 on each and nothing happens. I even tried a 9 volt battery on the rails. That didn't work either. I had checked the CV's for sound and according to manuals and such, the CV's are correct for the decoder to talk. But it don't say anything at all. Even when using DCS50 and OPS. I can not get it to talk to me. So, how can I reset it? BLI claims no responsibility for a loco as old as 2010. And I've been on the forums for JMRI, Digitrax, MRH forums and now this. You are my last hope. And when I tried 03, nothing happens. That decoder is stuck with 4538. ??

Keith Albright

There is a reset sequence I have used for these decoders. Can you read and write to the decoder on the programming track. I will check on it tommorrow morning and get back to you.
Keith

Date: 8/31/20 4:36 PM (GMT-05:00)

I have attempted many times now to reset. I followed the YouTube video on exactly how to do it. But nothing happens. No sound. No reset. It is a major struggle for me to first of all, to get the darn plastic tender body off. And when I do, it is connected to the decoder board by the wires to the tender light. Leaving them alone. I can get the little black thingy off the 2 prongs. I then tried to get power to the rails. But how can you do that with either JMRI throttle on pt or DCS50 power on layout - without inputting a number. I tried the correct 4538 on each and nothing happens. I even tried a 9 volt battery on the rails. That didn't work either. I had checked the CV's for sound and according to manuals and such, the CV's are correct for the decoder to talk. But it don't say anything at all. Even when using DCS50 and OPS. I can not get it to talk to me. So, how can I reset it? BLI claims no responsibility for a loco as old as 2010. And I've been on the forums for JMRI, Digitrax, MRH forums and now this. You are my last hope. And when I tried 03, nothing happens. That decoder is stuck with 4538. ??

Lou

Pennsynut,

Perhaps you could provide us with your real name, it makes it much friendlier on here.

If you have a QSI old decoder I would suggest that you get with Kelly Dorf at QSI. First off, your decoder can probably be upgraded with a new chip to improve operations. It would be worth the expense if it is available for your decoder. He can offer some tips to try and reset it or you could send it in to him for repair/upgrade. He can be reached at kelly.dorf@....  He is very helpful but may take a bit to respond, depending on wat is happening at QSI.

The best way to reset the decoder is with the magnetic reed switch located in a glass tube on the decoder. Put the unit on a powered track, touch a magnet to the switch and then remove it from power. Power it up again and it should say RESET.

Good Luck.

Lou

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of PennsyNut
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 4:37 PM

Let me try to clarify a bit. Keith: I did have a suggestion for reset. (CV49=128,CV50=255&CV56=113. But on JMRI's CV tab, they are greyed out. So that don't work. Yes, I can read and write on JMRI. But only with loco number 4538. I can't reset to 03, as mentioned above. Lou: I now have my signature. I have the jumper in the tender. And that's what I've been trying, with no sound, no reset. ? Your note on "Kell Dorf" is good, but the email address isn't there. What's the ending? I don't have the QSI programmer. Isn't that what you refer to? So how can I upgrade without that? i.e. I don't have the capability of changing sounds. I am a total newbie with QSI. I don't know nothing about the fancy stuff. I only want to run the loco, with speed table and momentum. And of course, to fix the "hoot" with the correct Banshee whistle.

?? Here's the signature.  Morgan F Bilbo, DCS50, SPROG2, JMRI, Pennsy modeler 1952

And here's a picture of the jumper, not exactly like mine, but the same process.

Morgan F Bilbo, DCS50, SPROG2, JMRI, Pennsy modeler 1952

Lou

Sorry, it is Kelly.dorf at gmail.com I don’t have any knowledge about decoders with jumpers for a reset, sorry.

Can the DCS50 do service mode programming? If so, set up a program track separate from the layout and try programming the 3 reset CVs.

Lou

Lou

From: QSIndustries@groups.io <QSIndustries@groups.io> On Behalf Of PennsyNut
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 9:01 PM

Let me try to clarify a bit. Keith: I did have a suggestion for reset. (CV49=128,CV50=255&CV56=113. But on JMRI's CV tab, they are greyed out. So that don't work. Yes, I can read and write on JMRI. But only with loco number 4538. I can't reset to 03, as mentioned above. Lou: I now have my signature. I have the jumper in the tender. And that's what I've been trying, with no sound, no reset. ? Your note on "Kell Dorf" is good, but the email address isn't there. What's the ending? I don't have the QSI programmer. Isn't that what you refer to? So how can I upgrade without that? i.e. I don't have the capability of changing sounds. I am a total newbie with QSI. I don't know nothing about the fancy stuff. I only want to run the loco, with speed table and momentum. And of course, to fix the "hoot" with the correct Banshee whistle.

Nick

Lou,

The Version 7 decoder HAS the upgrade. ONLY QSI version 1 can use the new upgrade chip.

I BETA test for QSI and the problem is his DCS50 wimpy programming output. Unless he uses programming on the main, the Command Station cannot provide enough power through the programming track to work reliably. He needs a programming booster. Also, the "audio feedback" should be disabled as the decoder tries to "talk" when it receives change inputs. In this case, the multiple index CVs probably got stomped on while he tried to send changes with the weak DCS50 programming output and scrambled the decoder. 

Second, you CANNOT use QSI Titan commands with a Version 7. They are different decoders completely with different CV settings. That is a great way to brick the decoder.

The Version 7 was the FIRST OEM decoder that could have it's sound file changed using the QSI programmer. Basically, it was he OEM version of the after-market Revolution. The Titan followed and added Stereo output.

I will check my 2-10-0 tonight, but I'm pretty certain the reed switch was no longer used on those. They definitely did use the "wand" on the Version 1 OEM decoders but they had a LOT of problems with them and QSI stopped using them in the later versions.

Regards,
Nick Kulp

Nick

Good start but you still need a program track booster if you use Digitrax for programming. The PTB100 is available through Micro Mark for about $53.00 .The DCC Specialties Power Pax is about $90.00

On your wish to "correct" the whistle, that can only be done using QSI software and their programmer. It is proprietary to QSI and cannot be changed any other way. JMRI does not have any way to do that. 

Nick Kulp

Wow! Too many new threads. Let me help clarify. First of all, the DCS50 is used only for the layout, and can only use OPS to change CV's. It can not read. I use a SPROGIIv4 for programming. It does it by itself with a PC and pt. So, I place the loco on the pt and use SPROG only. I was able to finally do that and have a valid xml on JMRI for this loco. Now: When I put the loco on the pt, with the SPROG and JMRI and it's throttle - The loco ONLY lights up and makes the usual steam engine noises. But no bell, whistle, etc. When I put the loco on the layout, again acts the same as on the pt. i.e. The loco just don't respond. It did respond originally. It was easily programmed with the SPROG and JMRI. It ran on the layout. But I had made no changes to the CV's. Then, I placed the loco back on the pt. Made simple changes, the speed table and the momentum. But then, it behaved badly. That's when it wouldn't run with JMRI and it's throttle. I put it back on the layout and the DCS50 and again, not right. So, it was that point in time when I put it back on the pt, made the few CV changes, that it went haywire. So bottom line for me is that I do not need any booster. The SPROG has all the power it needs. I have successfully programmed 5 BLI locos with P2&3 with nothing but the SPROG.
Morgan F Bilbo, DCS50, SPROG2, JMRI, Pennsy modeler 1952