MTH and aftermarket units

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Thank you Pat for the formation of this group.
First question and it's a tough one. What can you tell us about the MTH
affair that won't infringe on any legal proceeding or, of course things that
must be kept quiet, that might be in process? I can understand that you
might not be able to say anything!

It is interesting that the initial interest about QSI after market appears
to be coming from the DCC community.<
While I have heard that 3/4 of the buyers of BLI engines are run on DC I
would think that the only people that are _really_ interested in the
aftermarket system would be for DCC. Pricing could be very important!
Example, there are a lot of P2K diesels out there that could use sound
units.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief/Zephyr systems
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Pat Quinn <quinn1947@...>

You are correct that I am not able to discuss most of the details. I
understand the intense interest this subject has in the railroading
community – it's almost better than reality TV.

Quick Review:

MTH filed a patent applications which were issued :

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?
Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=5
0&s1=6,619,594.WKU.&OS=PN/6,619,594&RS=PN/6,619,594

and also:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?
Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/search-
adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&p=1&p=1&S1=6,655,640.WKU.&OS=PN/6,655,640&
RS=PN/6,655,640

The claims appear to relate to the use of speed control, synchronized
smoke and other things in model railroading.
These patents contain claims that impact products that various
manufacturers are interested in making. In some cases, products may
be withheld, may be modified, or may continue while the validity of
these patents is examined. Different companies are adopting different
strategies.

There are many of us who believe these patents may have been granted
without a sufficiently broad review of prior art. Companies must be
careful about how they progress, and we all hope you will be
understanding of the necessary steps each takes as this unfolds. If
you believe you have strong, definitive evidence toward demonstrating
that unexamined prior art exists for these patents, I would
appreciate knowing about it.

Specific details about how things are going will need to wait until
meaningful, certain, non-confidential developments can be shared.
Thanks for you interest on this subject.

--- In QSIndustries@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Miller" <atsf@i...> wrote:
[...]

Be sure to slurp up the entire 3 (or 4) lines of those uspto links
and paste them into your browser. Don't just click on the blue part.
Aparently this Yahoo interface only accepts one-line URL's. -pq

--- In QSIndustries@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Quinn" <quinn1947@y...>

&