Topics

Microsoft Windows 10 update tanks Quantum Programmer

Dan Howard

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this yet (or has a fix/workaround).

When trying to use the Quantum programmer on my Windows 10 machine, I get an error window titled, "SiLabs USB Driver 3.2 Not Installed" with the error message, "QuantumUpgrade may not work properly with the installed SiLabs USB Driver version 0.0.0.0"

The program starts properly, then if you select "Locomotive Information", you get a Communications Error message that states, "Cannot establish a connection to the Quantum Programmer.

So...thinking I could just download & reinstall the driver, when I try to launch the install file, a "User Account Control" window pops up stating:

"This app has been blocked for your protection.  An Administrator has blocked you from running this app.  For more information contact the administrator.
QP_USBXp_Installer.exe

Publisher: Unknown
File origin: Hard drive on this computer
Program location: "<directory and name of file>"

I tried running the program as an administrator, booting to allow an unknown publisher (as listed in the instructions), and even running the program as an administrator via a command prompt window all to no avail.

Has anyone else come across and resolved this issue?

-Dan Howard

kelly dorf

Hi Dan,
This has been an ongoing issue with windows 10, and many of us have fought this and gone round and round. I finally solved this issue by buying a windows7 laptop on ebay.
Cost me $65.00 and it works perfectly. So now I have a dedicated QSI laptop I can take anywhere.
If anyone else has more tips or solutions, please chip in.
Kelly
QSI

Ed.Sauers

Dan,

In order to install the Si Labs driver you must 1st restart your machine by holding the"shift" key depressed to set it to allow you to install an unsigned driver. Best if you google "windows unsigned drivers installation" and get the complete procedure to accomplish this.

Ed Sauers

On 4/15/2020 5:51 PM, Dan Howard via groups.io wrote:
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this yet (or has a fix/workaround).

When trying to use the Quantum programmer on my Windows 10 machine, I get an error window titled, "SiLabs USB Driver 3.2 Not Installed" with the error message, "QuantumUpgrade may not work properly with the installed SiLabs USB Driver version 0.0.0.0"

The program starts properly, then if you select "Locomotive Information", you get a Communications Error message that states, "Cannot establish a connection to the Quantum Programmer.

So...thinking I could just download & reinstall the driver, when I try to launch the install file, a "User Account Control" window pops up stating:

"This app has been blocked for your protection.  An Administrator has blocked you from running this app.  For more information contact the administrator.
QP_USBXp_Installer.exe

Publisher: Unknown
File origin: Hard drive on this computer
Program location: "<directory and name of file>"

I tried running the program as an administrator, booting to allow an unknown publisher (as listed in the instructions), and even running the program as an administrator via a command prompt window all to no avail.

Has anyone else come across and resolved this issue?

-Dan Howard

Dan Howard

Ed - thank you and yes, already tried this method.

Kelly - thank you.  My wife just purchased a new laptop.  When she is absolutely done with the old one, will try to "downgrade" the machine to an earlier version of Win10 by removing upgrades and see if that will work.

-Dan

Bob

I use Windows 10 laptop and every time a major update is done I have to reinstall the driver. I follow the instructions that Josh had on his website and never had a problem. I’m on my second windows 10 laptop right now. 
Bob Cochran 

On Apr 15, 2020, at 6:25 PM, Dan Howard via groups.io <stm5468@...> wrote:

Kelly - thank you.  My wife just purchased a new laptop.  When she is absolutely done with the old one, will try to "downgrade" the machine to an earlier version of Win10 by removing upgrades and see if that will work.

-Dan

Bob

Go to this web page click on HO sound set then click on manuals then find the one for the programmer it’s the second listed and the near end there is instructions for windows 10. This what I follow and as said before never had a problem installing them.   https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/160rqzGv9KTPXmoFxgmY1sVKH_Oo_MHnp

Bob Cochran

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 6:25 PM
To: QSIndustries@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Microsoft Windows 10 update tanks Quantum Programmer

-Dan

Dan Howard

Thank you all for the informational replies.

Well...got it working & here's what I had to do:

Go into Device Manager and remove the Quantum Programmer from the devices on the machine.

Unplug the USB Cable

Delete the Quantum Programmer Software

Reconnect the USB cable and wait for computer to tell me that the Quantum Programmer was now connected and ready.

Go to device manager, right click on properties - it told me no drivers for this device.

Went through the driver process to select it as an SiLabs Device.
(had previously installed the drivers using the methods in the instructions).

Re-installed the software.

When the program now launches, it still tells me it may not be able to work properly, but now it indicates SiLabs USB Driver version 3.1.0.0. 

Click "OK" and the program works fine.

Only difference is now in device manager instead the Quantum programmer is not present, although "USBExpress Device" now appears in the Universal Serial Bus controllers tab.

In case you were wondering, the program still works after a reboot of the machine.

...will now wait and see what happens after the next Win10 update...

Ed.Sauers

Dan,

I think the driver problem on happens when MS sends out a MAJOR update, some minor updates don't seem to cause the problem. It is stall a pain though!!

Glad you got it working

Ed Sauers

On 4/16/2020 10:00 AM, Dan Howard via groups.io wrote:

Go into Device Manager and remove the Quantum Programmer from the devices on the machine.

Unplug the USB Cable

Reconnect the USB cable and wait for computer to tell me that the Quantum Programmer was now connected and ready.

Go to device manager, right click on properties - it told me no drivers for this device.

When the program now launches, it still tells me it may not be able to work properly, but now it indicates SiLabs USB Driver version 3.1.0.0. 

Only difference is now in device manager instead the Quantum programmer is not present, although "USBExpress Device" now appears in the Universal Serial Bus controllers tab.

In case you were wondering, the program still works after a reboot of the machine.

Bob

All I do when I get major windows update is delete the driver. I have the drivers in a folder within folder for QSI. Then I follow instructions that Josh had they install correctly and it shows up as Quantum device in device manager. I have never had to delete the QSI CV manager or upgrade software and reinstall it. I will upload to the file area the information later today that I use. 

On Apr 16, 2020, at 10:00 AM, Dan Howard via groups.io <stm5468@...> wrote:

Unplug the USB Cable

Bob

I just added 3 photos of the driver install I use in the photo section under Bob’s install photos

Bob Cochran

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 11:37 AM
To: QSIndustries@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Microsoft Windows 10 update tanks Quantum Programmer

All I do when I get major windows update is delete the driver. I have the drivers in a folder within folder for QSI. Then I follow instructions that Josh had they install correctly and it shows up as Quantum device in device manager. I have never had to delete the QSI CV manager or upgrade software and reinstall it. I will upload to the file area the information later today that I use. 

On Apr 16, 2020, at 10:00 AM, Dan Howard via groups.io <stm5468@...> wrote:

Unplug the USB Cable

peterebherron

Group.  I’d like to revisit this issue if I may.  I have a laptop with Windows 10 installed which was set up by an expert with myself set up as the administrator. I have tried all three methods outlined by google AS THE ADMINISTRATOR to install the drivers and cannot get past the message that my actions were blocked and I need to contact the administrator!  I have also discovered I cannot restore the computer to an earlier time to ditch whichever upgrade is causing the problem like I used to be able to.  What’s doubly frustrating is my old desktop with Windows 10 ran the program just fine. I get the same blocking on my new desktop as I do with the laptop.  I have a very old, very small and slow laptop with Windows 7 that I can still use but still would like to upgrade to a larger screen to help my old eyes?
Anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks,

Peter

Bobby Abrams

perhaps it's windows defender that is detecting the drivers or some component as malware. try turning off windows defender
Bobby Abrams

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 5:26 AM peterebherron <peterebherron@...> wrote:
Group.  I’d like to revisit this issue if I may.  I have a laptop with Windows 10 installed which was set up by an expert with myself set up as the administrator. I have tried all three methods outlined by google AS THE ADMINISTRATOR to install the drivers and cannot get past the message that my actions were blocked and I need to contact the administrator!  I have also discovered I cannot restore the computer to an earlier time to ditch whichever upgrade is causing the problem like I used to be able to.  What’s doubly frustrating is my old desktop with Windows 10 ran the program just fine. I get the same blocking on my new desktop as I do with the laptop.  I have a very old, very small and slow laptop with Windows 7 that I can still use but still would like to upgrade to a larger screen to help my old eyes?
Anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks,

Peter

jacob longanecker

How about adding a different screen to the older laptop? I have personally downgraded all of my windows 10 machines due to 10 being exponentially slower to start up and get going and 10 basically doing whatever it wants, when’s it wants regardless of my desires to want to manage the computer, updates, etc.

Jake Longanecker

Charley Goddard

Here is the work around for the Microsoft updates.  Install and plug in your devices and have them running.  I have never seen a QSI Programmer.  So I hope this works for you. C.       

This has also worked for me with 32-bit.
Ignore the circled link.

peterebherron

Bobby I tried that as well, same problem.

Peter

Charley Goddard

That update procedure came too small, I'm sure for many.  I'll See if I can enlarge it and resend.

Mr. Moderator, shouldn't this go to the Files section, if it works for the Quantum Programmer?

Charley

Charley Goddard

See if this attachment helps reading.

Bruce

Bob, I followed your navigation here precisely, but "near the end" (I presume you mean end of the NMRA Reference Manual for QSI Quantum 3, 2, and 1 dated April 18, 2014), I found no "instructions for windows 10".  Am I looking in the right place?
Second question, are the driver files those that have a ".sys" file extension?
Finally, did you post those 3 files you mentioned in the Files section of the Group?  I looked once and didn't see them.
Thanks.

Bob

The manual is for the programer.  No they are in the photo section as I couldn’t post in the file section under Bob install. 
Bob c

On May 11, 2020, at 11:03 PM, Bruce <perico65@...> wrote:

Bob, I followed your navigation here precisely, but "near the end" (I presume you mean end of the NMRA Reference Manual for QSI Quantum 3, 2, and 1 dated April 18, 2014), I found no "instructions for windows 10".  Am I looking in the right place?
Finally, did you post those 3 files you mentioned in the Files section of the Group?  I looked once and didn't see them.
Thanks.

Bob

I should have said uninstall drivers not delete them. They have to be uninstall not delete  
Bob c

On May 11, 2020, at 11:03 PM, Bruce <perico65@...> wrote:

Thanks.