Topics

Issue with Quantum Revolution-U decoder

larmour@...

I have the above decoder (product code 4050-718) installed in a Proto 2000 2-8-8--2 Mallet.

The unit used to work well on both DC and DCC. The loco has been in storage for 4 years whilst we moved house and a new layout built. The layout is not yet set up for DCC and I have tried to use the loco on DC but the only action from the decoder is for the sounds to start up and lights to glow (dimly). I have confirmed that the plug between the loco and tender is securely installed but with no change in the decoders response. the wheels and track are clean and other sound equiupeed locos I have work well on the layout in DC mode.
On other forums they talk about a factory reset with a magnet and I have passed a magnet over the loco and tender but one again with no change in the decoder

Does anyone have a suggestion?
Philip

Ed.Sauers

Philip,

Since nobody else has replied I will chime in here to try to help.

Are you passing the magnet over the decoder while the power is on and you are getting at least 7 volts DC to the decoder? Once you do the magnet swipe you will have to cycle the power, at this point the decoder should speak "RESET"

Then you can try to run the loco again

Can you hook up a small section of track and connect your DCC system to they the decoder under DCC power?

Ed Sauers

On 8/6/2020 6:01 AM, larmour@... wrote:
I have the above decoder (product code 4050-718) installed in a Proto 2000 2-8-8--2 Mallet.

The unit used to work well on both DC and DCC. The loco has been in storage for 4 years whilst we moved house and a new layout built. The layout is not yet set up for DCC and I have tried to use the loco on DC but the only action from the decoder is for the sounds to start up and lights to glow (dimly). I have confirmed that the plug between the loco and tender is securely installed but with no change in the decoders response. the wheels and track are clean and other sound equiupeed locos I have work well on the layout in DC mode.
On other forums they talk about a factory reset with a magnet and I have passed a magnet over the loco and tender but one again with no change in the decoder

Philip

Bob Waldele

I don't recall Revolution series decoders with reed switch.  Best get your DCC programming track set up and try reading the decoder to verify Mfg and firmware version, the do the reset procedure with CVs.

Bob.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/6/20 06:01 (GMT-05:00)
To: QSIndustries@groups.io
Subject: [QSIndustries] Issue with Quantum Revolution-U decoder

Philip

Bruce Shanks

When you put it away 4 years ago, did you put it in "Shut-down" mode?

In DC the Quantum Engineer has a shut-down button. In DCC one of the Function buttons will do it, usually F9.  It goes thru a series of sounds, finishing with the engineer closing the door and locking up. Kinda neat, until you forget about what you did.

To recover you'll need the Quantum Engineer box hooked into the DC power (then push the "Start-up" button) or a DCC system that can send the Start-up function (usually F6).

Alternative would be to do a reset.  The reed switch was a option for the Revolution, because the reed switch could fail in the closed position, which upset customers because it would reset at every power application.  If it doesn't say "Reset" when you apply power, that's a good thing (you don't have a stuck reed switch).

Since we're talking steam here, the decoder is probably in the tender along with the speaker and it's associated magnet, not a good location for the reed switch. So if a reed switch is present it will probably be in the loco.

The Revolution manual says "Turnoff the power.  Place the Magic Wand over the reed switch area, apply power and leave the wand in place until you hear the word "Reset" .  Your locomotive is now reset to original factory defaults" You can try several places around the cab and boiler, hunting for the switch.  A reset takes several seconds, so don't be impatient.

If that fails, the manual says "If you don 't have a reed switch installed; locate the pink wire" ... "and the black wire with a white stripe and simply touch the ends together as you apply power per the instructions above."  Those are the wires that would be connected to a reed switch if i were installed.  On the Revolution-U decoder these two wires come out of a connector on one end of the board.  They are the last two positions  on the connector that has two violet wires that go to the speaker on the opposite end.

Hope this helps.