HO smoke unit

ewarhol@...

Hi group

I've wired smoke units in G scale using the Large Scale Titan decoder. Now I'm getting ready to put a Titan U into an HO scale engine. I'm not seeing anything in the Titan U installation guide that mentions a smoke unit. Does the Titan U not support a smoke unit? The smoke unit I'm looking to use is inside a Broadway Limited engine.

Eric

Bill Kohler

It looks like the only high current output is for the motors -- max 2 Amps stall.

The remaining function outputs are only 100 ma, i.e. LED current.

You could install a small solid-state relay, where the input is essentially an LED and the output can handle the higher current of a smoke generator...

Bill Kohler
CEO & Chief Engineer
Greenbrier, Cheat & Elk RR

You're never too old to enjoy a happy childhood!

adam starr

I have used low amp relays for this purpose in a couple dozen Titan U installations.  I am not at home, but if you need it, I will try to get the make and model number of the relays I used.  Been running them for over 4 years without issue.  Once you have the relay, it is simple.  You do need a diode across the input terminals of the relay, it is described in the NCE 5 or 10 amp manual.

ewarhol@...

Yes if can get me the info on the relays that would be great.

Eric

James Kleinschmidt <train1jwk@...>

Eric,

Here are the markings on the boards: