HO smoke unit

ewarhol@...

Hi group

I've wired smoke units in G scale using the Large Scale Titan decoder. Now I'm getting ready to put a Titan U into an HO scale engine. I'm not seeing anything in the Titan U installation guide that mentions a smoke unit. Does the Titan U not support a smoke unit? The smoke unit I'm looking to use is inside a Broadway Limited engine. 

Eric

Bill Kohler

It looks like the only high current output is for the motors -- max 2 Amps stall.

The remaining function outputs are only 100 ma, i.e. LED current.

You could install a small solid-state relay, where the input is essentially an LED and the output can handle the higher current of a smoke generator...

Bill Kohler
CEO & Chief Engineer
Greenbrier, Cheat & Elk RR

You're never too old to enjoy a happy childhood!

adam starr

I have used low amp relays for this purpose in a couple dozen Titan U installations.  I am not at home, but if you need it, I will try to get the make and model number of the relays I used.  Been running them for over 4 years without issue.  Once you have the relay, it is simple.  You do need a diode across the input terminals of the relay, it is described in the NCE 5 or 10 amp manual.

ewarhol@...

Yes if can get me the info on the relays that would be great. 

Eric

James Kleinschmidt <train1jwk@...>

Eric,

Here are the markings on the boards:

1)      ECBMTHP4

2)      L7 BM1

3)      L NVO with 22 above the L

4)      9U94V0

PCBC FR4A

Jim

Sent: Monday, April 16, 2018 12:20 PM
To: QSIndustries@...
Subject: [QSIndustries] Re: HO smoke unit

Yes if can get me the info on the relays that would be great. 

Eric

adam starr

Eric,

the relay I have used is Taiko CX 10N.  I looked on All electronics and they have this relay.  Only difference seems to be  mine has a 0 120 in the upper right hand corner and the one in their picture has a 0 122. 

I could not recall what the amp draw was on mine but based on the numbers in the description on All  Electronic , it is a 12v relay with a resistance of 500 ohms which I believe works out to .024 amps which is under 100miliamp (.1amp).  You can double check my calculations but I bought like 2 dozen of these four years ago when I converted my O scale fleet from DC to DCC and only have one relay left.  Never had a problem with any of the fleet even if relay is on for some time. 

Remember to wire a relay across the DC coil terminals so that nothing gets back into the positive lead.  I don't fully understand it, but like I said, the NCE manual clearly states this is a necessary move.  Maybe someone can explain more. 

The relay cost $.75 There could be others outthere.  Not sure if it will fit in the HO engine.  Size specs are on the all Elec web site.

Bill Kohler

2 things:
  1. You meant to say “...wire a diode across the DC coil terminals...”
  2. The relay will generate a high-voltage spike when the decoder tries to turn it off, which would fry the decoder’s output if you don’t connect the diode to snub it. The diode has to be connected with the marked end (cathode) towards the plus side of the relay coil.
Bill Kohler
CEO & Chief Engineer

Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:06 AM
Subject: [QSIndustries] Re: HO smoke unit

Eric,

the relay I have used is Taiko CX 10N.  I looked on All electronics and they have this relay.  Only difference seems to be  mine has a 0 120 in the upper right hand corner and the one in their picture has a 0 122.

I could not recall what the amp draw was on mine but based on the numbers in the description on All  Electronic , it is a 12v relay with a resistance of 500 ohms which I believe works out to .024 amps which is under 100miliamp (.1amp).  You can double check my calculations but I bought like 2 dozen of these four years ago when I converted my O scale fleet from DC to DCC and only have one relay left.  Never had a problem with any of the fleet even if relay is on for some time.

Remember to wire a relay across the DC coil terminals so that nothing gets back into the positive lead.  I don't fully understand it, but like I said, the NCE manual clearly states this is a necessary move.  Maybe someone can explain more.

The relay cost $.75 There could be others outthere.  Not sure if it will fit in the HO engine.  Size specs are on the all Elec web site.

adam starr

Bill, 

Yes, did mean diode (and not another relay).  Thanks for giving Eric the tech info behind it.

Bill, I have O scale (2 rail) Atlas F 3 with a factory QSI decoder, I guess it was made about 2009.  The Xing scenerio was not assigned to any button.  Recently I assigned it to F12 and it worked but also when ever I used the thumb wheel or right hand accelerate button on my NCE pro cab, to speed up it also triggers the
 Xing function.  I changed the function of F12 so that there are no function buttons assigned to the Xing function but the Xing scenero still triggers when I use the thumb wheel or right hand accelerate button.  Situation had persisted for several days now.  Any thoughts?

Bill Kohler

Hmmmm...  That’s a puzzler.

My first thought was that it sounded like Phoenix or Soundtrax decoders that can be set to trigger the crossing signal sequence whenever you speed up above a threshold speed.

But QSI doesn’t have that feature, to the best of my knowledge.

If you’re talking about a decoder made in 2009, I’m guessing you’re not talking about a Titan, but rather an older Quantum decoder.

The Titan can be programmed for:
  1. No automatic sounds
  2. Automatic horn/whistle on starting and stopping
  3. Automatic horn/whistle, light changes and other sounds at starting and stopping, if the bell is playing.
But there is no setting for automatic crossing signal sequence that I can find. (It can be triggered by a reed relay...)

And the starting and stopping scenarios are greyed out in QSI’s CV Manager when you have an older Quantum Q2 decoder.

I’m using NCE G-Wire cabs, which are very similar to the Pro Cab, so I’m familiar with the wheel and buttons, but I can’t think of any correlation between them and the function buttons.

There is an ability in the NCE cabs to program macros into certain buttons, but I haven’t done that except for the suggested ‘Option-1’ sequence to shut off the cab.

Do you have another Pro Cab you could try, just to be sure there isn’t a problem with that cab itself...??

Bill Kohler
CEO & Chief Engineer

Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Re: HO smoke unit

Bill, 

Yes, did mean diode (and not another relay).  Thanks for giving Eric the tech info behind it.

Bill, I have O scale (2 rail) Atlas F 3 with a factory QSI decoder, I guess it was made about 2009.  The Xing scenerio was not assigned to any button.  Recently I assigned it to F12 and it worked but also when ever I used the thumb wheel or right hand accelerate button on my NCE pro cab, to speed up it also triggers the
Xing function.  I changed the function of F12 so that there are no function buttons assigned to the Xing function but the Xing scenero still triggers when I use the thumb wheel or right hand accelerate button.  Situation had persisted for several days now.  Any thoughts?

adam starr

I may be off on the year the unit was made since I bought this on the 2nd market but it is a Titan. 

I found the problem.  I was using CV manager and the output map didn't show the Xing assigned to any button.  But when I started verifying what was in the decoder, I found that Xing was assigned to F0.  I am not sure why that was causing the Xing to trigger when I was accelerating, but once I changed F0 to something else and Xing did not trigger on acceleration.  I reassigned Xing to F12 and it works as it is suppose to.

Thanks for you input.