Help with disconnect

EdSauers

Group,

I think I have a titan-u decoder that is stuck in disconnect mode, what is the procedure to get back to the normal operating mode? F6 changes the status but doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks

Ed Sauers

peteski7

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:13 AM, EdSauers wrote:
I think I have a titan-u decoder that is stuck in disconnect mode, what is the procedure to get back to the normal operating mode? F6 changes the status but doesn't solve the problem
So after you double-press F6, then press F10, what does the decoder say about its current status? Or does it pronounce the locos address? Make sure the loso is in "neutral" or stopped (speed step 0).

Hi Ed,

  Is the loco in an advanced consist?

Check the value of CV 19.   Program On Main -->  CV64 = 19

EdSauers

KJ

Yes it was!!

Ed

On 1/14/2022 12:16 PM, kjlovesya via groups.io wrote:
Hi Ed,

Is the loco in an advanced consist?

Check the value of CV 19.   Program On Main -->  CV64 = 19

bigfourroad

Now for the rest of us to remember this problem resolution!

Chris Rooney

kjlovesya

Hi Chris,

  If all the lights and sounds work but the loco will not move (on any brand of DCC decoder) check if the loco is in an advanced consist.   If CV 19 is not equal to 0, the loco will not go using the 4 digit address.

  QSI specific: if the loco still will not move, check it's status (or simply double press F6 to put decoder in startup / Run).

Glad to help!

bigfourroad

Ed and I are friends in S scale.  I have your decoders in all articulated C&O locos. Here is a link to one in action. Chris Rooney's C&O 1624 at Alleghany 2019 - YouTube

Wish I had more, I'd put em in all locos - stereo wins hands down.

Chris

J Chris Rooney CFA
Vanness Company
Tel: 904-280-1898
Fax: 904-280-1898
Email: Vannessco@...
Web: www.VannessCompany.com
On 1/14/2022 7:46 PM, kjlovesya via groups.io wrote:

Hi Chris,

  If all the lights and sounds work but the loco will not move (on any brand of DCC decoder) check if the loco is in an advanced consist.   If CV 19 is not equal to 0, the loco will not go using the 4 digit address.

  QSI specific: if the loco still will not move, check it's status (or simply double press F6 to put decoder in startup / Run).

Hi Chris,

  Impressive!  I've always liked the C&O steam motive power and your model is no exception.  Very nice!   I note that the chuff sound seemed to come from the smokebox area.   What type of speakers did you use and where are they placed in the model?

  BTW, I am not affiliated with QSI in any way.  I just did my research homework and concluded that QSI Titans are the best designed.  Admittedly, QSI needs to step up their game with updates (e.g. playable whistles, working dynamic brakes, stretch braking, more diesel soundfiles to accommodate varying cylinder numbers, smaller decoders, etc.) and their hobby shop distribution is non-existent.

  Still, features like CV verbal query, verbal speedometer and odometer, dynamic heavy load, great horns, stereo output, programmable decoder, etc. bring the Titan to the head of the pack.

EdSauers

KJ,

Like Chris I also model in S-scale, all my steam locos have a speaker in the smokebox (I use a sugar cube from litchfield station that is 13x18x12mm) and I have to reduce the volume due to how loud they are...of course I only direct the chuff and cocks to the front speaker. I also place a speaker near the rear of the boiler and direct  the pop values and injectors, etc to that speaker. There is also a good flat speaker by railmaster that is really good, it is 12x40x3.5MMs DS1240-BOX that sound great...I have this in a S-scale dockside that is also dead railed.

Ed Sauers

On 1/15/2022 10:03 AM, kjlovesya via groups.io wrote:
[...]

  I'm curious about how you port the sound out of the smokebox.   Do you have port(s) drilled out in the smokestack and/or down the cylinder chest?

  I have a brass HO consolidation that I'm engineering for sound and there are several obstacles in my way.  e.g. the screw that holds the front of the boiler to the frame goes right up through the cylinder chest and it's nut is anchored in the lead weight.  I don't want to loose weight in the smokebox area and I've got to re-engineer a fastening for the front end.

EdSauers

KJ,

On the S-scale OMI steamers that I have the stack is soldered on and the hole through the smoke stack and boiler are already provided. The cylinder chest have openings from the factory on the inside of the cylinders where they are not visible.

On the SHS white metal boiler I don't have any openings other then removing the screw that hold the smoke box front on, I then just use some GOO to attach the front. The sound is not as loud on those locos but loud enough to sound better then the chuff coming from the tender.

BTW, on the brass steamers I actually have to lower the volume on the sugar cube speaker!!!! it is that loud (using a TCS WOW decoder).

Hope this helps.

Ed Sauers

On 1/16/2022 9:53 AM, kjlovesya via groups.io wrote:
Ed,

I'm curious about how you port the sound out of the smokebox.   Do you have port(s) drilled out in the smokestack and/or down the cylinder chest?

I have a brass HO consolidation that I'm engineering for sound and there are several obstacles in my way.  e.g. the screw that holds the front of the boiler to the frame goes right up through the cylinder chest and it's nut is anchored in the lead weight.  I don't want to loose weight in the smokebox area and I've got to re-engineer a fastening for the front end.

EdSauers

KJ,

I have a brass OMI pacific at my painters, when I get it back I will photograph the install and post the pics.

I can get the speaker, decoder and Keep alive all in the boiler in front of or on top of the weight.

Ed

On 1/16/2022 9:53 AM, kjlovesya via groups.io wrote:
Ed,

I'm curious about how you port the sound out of the smokebox.   Do you have port(s) drilled out in the smokestack and/or down the cylinder chest?

I have a brass HO consolidation that I'm engineering for sound and there are several obstacles in my way.  e.g. the screw that holds the front of the boiler to the frame goes right up through the cylinder chest and it's nut is anchored in the lead weight.  I don't want to loose weight in the smokebox area and I've got to re-engineer a fastening for the front end.

bigfourroad

KJ

Here are a couple photos of the installation in the River Raisin S scale C&O 2-6-6-6 using a Railmaster DLG-8 Bass Reflex 8 ohm under the stack and a Railmaster DHB28 high Bass 8 ohm in the tender.

I'll have to try the Litchfield cubes that Ed mentions for installs in smaller engines. As you can imagine, there are few space limitations in the Alleghenies in S scale!

That is a Pittman 8322 motor with flywheel and triple reduction gearing that the Titans seem to handle just fine. On a 25 car train of 6 ounce hoppers (9.75 pounds) on a 2% grade they pull about 6/10s of an amp as measured on the RRampmeter, but of course that is an averaging process.  I would not press them much further.

The only problem I have had is that one decoder (of three Allegheny installs) seems not to power the incandescent lights on the 12v common, instead producing only 5.5 volts?

Chris

PS you can use these in the io Group site if you like. Sorry about the vermilion colors of the earlier Soundtraxx decoders that did not handle the sound or traction as well.

kjlovesya

Ed and Chris,

  Thank you both for the information and pics.  This is helpful (though HO gives me even less room to work).   Still, this is good information.

  Ed, I look forward to your photos.  Chris' photos are terrific.