Driver for Quantum Programmer Success!

Bruce Shanks

I've managed to get Quantum CV Manager running with Driver 3.2

First I took a few steps from the instructions for installing the driver in Windows XP Vista or Win 7 which are in the Quantum Programmer Installation Guide. I unplugged the programmer and made a file named SiLabs in C:Programs. Into that folder I downloaded the qprog_winxp_3_2 compressed file using administrator privileges to allow it.

Then I switched to the instructions for installing the driver in Win 10, which several folks had referenced. I stepped thru the instructions to force Win 10 to accept an unsigned driver. After clicking Startup Setting 7 to disable driver signature enforcement and waited for the re-start, I went to the downloaded compressed file in the SiLabs folder and clicked on it. When the "Extract" page came up I browsed for the C:Programs\Silabs folder as the target for extracted files. I then clicked on the install application in those files. Things progressed normally from there, I was warned about unsigned drivers and then had to allow the installation. Finally I got the message that the driver was installed. Plugged in the Programmer and nothing happened.

Turned out I was half-way there! I downloaded and installed CV Manager, clicked on it and it gave me the warning that it wouldn't work right with driver 3.1, just like before. I tried the installer again, but it told me that driver 3.2 was installed and working properly. At this point I opened Control Panel and started Device Manager. Down at the bottom of the list appeared a USBExpress device that I don't think was there before. Clicking on it revealed it was a device with driver version 3.1 which had an "update driver" click box. Selecting the update and allowing the machine to find the driver worked.

Now CV Manager and Quantum Upgrade open happily.

Sincere thanks to all who have been supportive in my quest. I hope this epistle will help others who are having trouble getting the Quantum Programmer driver installed in Win 10.

Bruce Shanks

kelly dorf

Good for you Bruce.   I am still fighting a new windows 10 laptop.  After going thru the unsigned driver drill, I hit a new roadblock called "bitlocker". I finally got past that, installed everything, and I am getting the warning incompatable driver ver 0.0.0.0.
OMG why does Microsoft make things so much harder?
I will keep banging away at it.

Kelly

peteski7

Isn't "bitlocker" a virus or ransomware?!

Peteski
---In QSIndustries@..., <kelly.dorf@...> wrote :

Good for you Bruce.   I am still fighting a new windows 10 laptop.  After going thru the unsigned driver drill, I hit a new roadblock called "bitlocker". I finally got past that, installed everything, and I am getting the warning incompatable driver ver 0.0.0.0.
OMG why does Microsoft make things so much harder?
I will keep banging away at it.

Kelly

Lou

Bitlocker is the encryption program in Windows since Vista.

Lou

Isn't "bitlocker" a virus or ransomware?!

Peteski

---In QSIndustries@..., <kelly.dorf@...> wrote :

Good for you Bruce.   I am still fighting a new windows 10 laptop.  After going thru the unsigned driver drill, I hit a new roadblock called "bitlocker". I finally got past that, installed everything, and I am getting the warning incompatable driver ver 0.0.0.0.

OMG why does Microsoft make things so much harder?

I will keep banging away at it.

Kelly

William Lohman

As any "veteran" QSI decoder user/installer/programmer knows this driver issue has been around for several years and through several versions of Windows.

So for you at QSI, Kelly and all, why don't you fix it so the software can be installed without all the hassle -- like with other decoder brands.  Clearly you're sophisticated enough to have designed and built the QSI decoder software/firmware.  Still one of the most sophisticated decoders around.

C'mon QSI support what you sell.

kelly dorf

Hi Bill:

We at QSI are focused on one thing. 1st class decoders, sound and ease of use.  We do not have the staff it takes to get a driver signed by Microsoft. In case you are wondering how much red tape or programming skills are involved, take a peek at this:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/device-and-driver-technologies
As always, we at QSI welcome your comments.

Oh, and BTW, I was successful in completing my Win 10 install last night.

Kelly

kjlovesya

Hi Kelly,

  Instead of the Silabs diver, perhaps QSI could use a driver that is already 'signed' by Microsoft.   Win Win?

KJ

P.S. I've got a Windows 7 Pro laptop and I can't get the bloody thing to work with the Silabs driver QSI recommends.   I can get JMRI and the NCE PowerCab USB to work, but not QSI.   It's frustrating!

Simon Brown

FWIW i run Win 7 Pro (32bit) via a VM on my Mac and the QSI SW works fine. As does my ESU tools, Roc Rail and some other Lenz SW (also outdated and old)
I also have to use this machine for production work at home so this isnt a vanilla Mac either so the chances of me running up against issues is probably higher than most - point of this last statement is that whilst the drivers are giving some grief they aren't giving all of us grief.
Regards
Simon

Bill Kohler

I'm watching this thread closely. While the SiLabs driver works perfectly on both my laptop and desktop (Win 7 Home), I have just received the notice that MS will drop support of Win 7 in mid-January 2020.
At some point, I'll have to upgrade to Win 10 and I just can't wait to have all this fun... (NOT!)

William Lohman

Thanks, for the quick response Kelly and for all you do for us out here under the Fig Trees!  I understand you don't have a lot of resources to throw at the problem.  But, with all that expertise you have at QSI seems you could find a legal shortcut/way around it.    You and many of us out here have (gladly) spent a lot of time helping persons with the WIN workaround for years now.  Just saying maybe the time could be better spent fixing and documenting the process.  Easy for me to say.  In the meantime, keep up the good work.  Bill

Ed.Sauers

Kelly,

Do you have both SiLab USB drivers loaded on the same machine?

Thanks

Ed Sauers