Dear QSI - what features do we want?

Rich Randall

KEEP ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have several new O scale locomotives with Titan decoders factory installed. They do not seem to have any keep alive circuitry, so they sputter around the railroad and frequently go dead.

I know, I should clean my miles of track often and clean the loco wheels often. NUTS! I have scenery to install and models to build, and car cards to create, and.......

So the new locomotives sit in the dead line until I can fabricate and install O scale size keep alive circuits. But hey look good when visitors come over.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Randall
Gettysburg, PA

Modeling The Milwaukee Road
at Avery, ID, in O Scale

Bob Menzies <railscanner@...>

You need to contact James Schultz in Duluth Mn. You are modeling  the same area in the same scale.

On Sat., Sep. 14, 2019, 9:01 a.m. Rich Randall RRand4449@... [QSIndustries], <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

KEEP ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have several new O scale locomotives with Titan decoders factory installed. They do not seem to have any keep alive circuitry, so they sputter around the railroad and frequently go dead.

I know, I should clean my miles of track often and clean the loco wheels often. NUTS! I have scenery to install and models to build, and car cards to create, and.......

So the new locomotives sit in the dead line until I can fabricate and install O scale size keep alive circuits. But hey look good when visitors come over.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Randall
Gettysburg, PA

Modeling The Milwaukee Road
at Avery, ID, in O Scale

Kevin Strong

1) Updated programming interface which does not require lighting candles, ancient chants, or proper planetary alignment to get it to work with your computer. (Perhaps software compatibility with a SPROG interface?)

2) Multiple sound options loaded onto the board to begin with. TCS and Soundtraxx do this quite effectively. Memory is cheap and very small these days. There’s no reason you can’t store all the sound files on the board itself. Need to update the sound files? Remove the micro SD card and download new files to it.

3) Bring back the large scale Titan form factor.

4) See #3

I like QSI’s decoders, but the reality is that their supply issues combined with other manufacturers’ advances have rendered their boards largely obsolete to me.

Later,

Ed.Sauers

Group,

I want to turn this thread around to a positive thread.

Stereo ** Stereo ** Stereo

This one feature in itself is worth all the waiting for QSI products.

I model in S scale and all my steam locos have smoke box mounted speakers and a 2nd speaker in front of the cab. My configuration sends only the Open Cocks and Chuff sounds to the front speaker (what other decoder can do this?????) all other sounds go to the rear speaker.  This one feature alone makes QSI the only decoders I use!! but to push back a little on the multiple engine sounds on the board, do any of the decoder manufacturer's products let you change a steam decoder to a diesel decoder and vise versa? Features are not a issue with me but I an patiently waiting for a production version of the Steam Emulation file!!

Ed Sauers

On 9/14/2019 10:39 AM, Kevin Strong kcstrong@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

[...]

I want to turn this around to a positive thread.

On Sep 14, 2019, at 10:25, Ed Sauers dockside98@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

 but to push back a little on the multiple engine sounds on the board, do any of the decoder manufacturer's products let you change a steam decoder to a diesel decoder and vise versa?

TCS will reprogram your decoder for a nominal fee, so there’s that.

Certainly the ability to completely reprogram the decoder on your own workbench has its advantages, especially when you’ve bought a used decoder or loco with a sound file you can’t use, BUT it requires a reliable programming interface. Without that, you can’t even change so much as a whistle let alone go from steam to diesel or vice versa (which is why a reliable programming interface was #1 on my list).

But let’s presume a working interface. The current programming interface is very limiting. You cannot preview the chuffs or prime mover sounds at all, so you can’t even get a sense of what they sound like before they’re loaded. You can listen to bells and whistles, BUT only through your PC speakers, not your locomotive speakers. What sounds good on the PC may sound like howling cats on your locomotive. If you don’t like it, you’re back to guessing again, waiting another hour or so to download the new sound file, and playing around with it again.

If you could write full sound libraries to a micro SD card, you can then easily choose chuffs, prime movers, bells, whistles, etc. without having to re-program the board every. darned. time. If you want to go from steam to diesel or vice versa, you download the new library onto the micro SD card, but that is a one-time download, not every time you want to change a single sound.

Just out of curiosity, how many members here routinely make a habit of re-programming decoders from steam to diesel or vice versa? I’ve done it, but only because I bought a used diesel board and wanted to use it in a steam loco. I was glad I had the ability to do that (this was a while back on my old XP laptop), but had I not been able to, I would have just bought the appropriate board from another source.

Later,

Ed.Sauers

Kevin,

You make some good points, but....nobody but QSI provides stereo and the ability to direct all or part of individual sounds to a given speaker. This in not a minor feature in my desires for realistic sounds. I can understand if you model in HO,N or Z this probably is not that big of a deal but I can't tell you how much visitors pick up on where the chuff is coming from when then visit my layout, Got to say "It makes my day"

On your point about previewing the sound that are selected, you can put the programmer in OPS mode and sample the sounds that way....very easy to do and it is especially useful when setting sound levels.

Thanks for the friendly conversation!!!

Ed Sauers

On 9/14/2019 2:18 PM, Kevin Strong kcstrong@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

[...]

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

Ed;
I agree with ya on those 2 points.
That was one of my main points on the 21 pin, the lost features. Now you could add the second speaker on a separate plug cause not everyone uses it.
As to you second point. Yes! Yes! Yes! That is my one of my main loves with ESU decoders.
TCC:}

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@dapenguin.net

On 14September2019, at 09:25, Ed Sauers dockside98@gmail.com [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Stereo ** Stereo ** Stereo

This one feature in itself is worth all the waiting for QSI products.

I model in S scale and all my steam locos have smoke box mounted speakers and a 2nd speaker in front of the cab. My configuration sends only the Open Cocks and Chuff sounds to the front speaker (what other decoder can do this?????) all other sounds go to the rear speaker. This one feature alone makes QSI the only decoders I use!! but to push back a little on the multiple engine sounds on the board, do any of the decoder manufacturer's products let you change a steam decoder to a diesel decoder and vise versa? Features are not a issue with me but I an patiently waiting for a production version of the Steam Emulation file!!

Ed Sauers

Kevin Strong

I do like the stereo effect, though on my most recent installs (non-QSI) I’ve found just using two speakers, one in the smokebox and one in the tender, or two in the boiler (whichever I have room for) ends up giving me nearly the same effect. Even in large scale, from more than four or five feet away it’s difficult to differentiate just where a sound is coming from on a model with only 12” between speakers. For my ears, just getting one speaker forward of the tender is enough to eliminate the dreaded “talking tender” syndrome. The TCS has two dedicated speaker outputs (perhaps planning for future 2-channel mapping?) and on the Tsunamis, I just wire two speakers in series. (And—yes—I’ve spoiled myself with the locos in which I’ve fitted speakers in the boilers. I find myself running the locos with tender speakers less and less. Guess I’ve got some winter projects ahead to move some speakers...

When you talk about “Ops mode” on the programming software, is that different from previewing the sounds using the simulated controller? Does that also let you preview the “Emulator” chuffs and prime movers? At one point, QSI told me the software couldn’t do that because it was dependent on the motor BEMF. That’s great if that’s changed.

Later,

On Sep 14, 2019, at 12:46, Ed Sauers dockside98@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

Kevin,

You make some good points, but....nobody but QSI provides stereo and the ability to direct all or part of individual sounds to a given speaker. This in not a minor feature in my desires for realistic sounds. I can understand if you model in HO,N or Z this probably is not that big of a deal but I can't tell you how much visitors pick up on where the chuff is coming from when then visit my layout, Got to say "It makes my day"

On your point about previewing the sound that are selected, you can put the programmer in OPS mode and sample the sounds that way....very easy to do and it is especially useful when setting sound levels.

Ed.Sauers

Kevin,

The OPS mode is the same as putting you loco on your layout, you get actual sounds from your loco but you cannot change soundsets without re-loading the firmware. You can change things like speaker balance, sound levels, light operations, etc If you turn on "auto programming" the changes occur in real time which aids in getting the effects you want without going from your layout to your programming track multiple times.

Ed Sauers

On 9/15/2019 1:06 AM, Kevin Strong kcstrong@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

[...]

mike brady

My next question : Who has read and understood the entire QSI manual ????

On 9/15/2019 10:37 AM, Ed Sauers dockside98@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

[...]

Nick

Hi Mike,

Actually, why not ask who has read ANY technical manual for ANY decoder ? I do a LOT of decoder installs and programming for non-computer friends . They do not all use QSI decoders and I do not use ONLY QSI decoders . I do not feel it is necessary to read an entire manual if I am only looking to make a light work or change a function location .

I have an advantage that I was asked to be a BETA tester when Tony's started selling them and QSI brought out their programmer. I probably know a little more than the average after-market customer and I have probably had a LOT more experience with them through the testing I have performed. That said, I still have not worked with everything the decoder is capable of doing. One of the banes of my existence is the PID editor in the CV Manager. I cannot tell you how many times I have made performance worse by playing with that devil's pitchfork. I truly HATE that thing and I use it as much as I poke an un-caged lion.

That said, out of all of the decoders that I do use, the QSI Titan is my top choice for performance. Since I model mostly steam, one request I will make is that when the Evolution Steam sound files are released, I would strongly request a much simpler method of synchronizing the exhaust if a cam is not used. To date, i still have not found a method that requires less than an hour, on a roller stand, to make the exhaust smooth through the entire speed range. AND I set my top speed to no more than 60 MPH using a Bachrus speedometer and DecoderPro.

Regards,
Nick Kulp

mike brady

Hi Nick, l was not singling you or anyone else out because l certainly havent read it, to me all of this stuff is daunting including the nmra standards....l agree QSI has THE best sound that ive ever heard, and l have a loyalty to Kelly for the help he has given me, that said l posed the question what does the field want from QSI vs what is practical..
and what can a deeper understanding of the manual and the chips get us as users.

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android Device

[...]

kjlovesya

Hello all,

 I'm honestly not bragging.   I have read various manuals for several decoder brands, including the massive QSI tome.   I state that not looking for either praise or mockery.   I simply realize that I do not wish to rely on others, in order to solve problems (or prevent problems).   I need to understand how these things work.  This has proven very helpful at the model train club.

 For those who wish to understand, do yourself a favor and read the manual.   I recommend starting with the Revolution installation manual (kind of a simpler version of the Titan)  https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/0f7119_7a72ff34a72941bbbbfea97c5f679cec.pdf  .    Setting CVs are explained staring on page 10.

  Once you get that down, the full sized complete manual is easier to both understand and you can skim over the pages of repeated instructions.  e.g. once you know how the Front head light is controlled, the other light functions are pretty easy to comprehend.

mike brady

Thanks l love helpful people

[...]

kelly dorf

Wow,  another document well written by QSIsolutions, and never shared with QSI.

Tom K.

I wouldn't mind being able to manually change the prime movers RPM's up and down.......

Ed.Sauers

Fly_rockets,

Doesn't the Sounds of Power feature do that ?  Pressing F9 when in motion unlock the sounds from the speeds so you can rev her up going up a grade without changing the speed of the train

Ed Sauers

On 9/18/2019 7:55 PM, fly_rockets@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

I wouldn't mind being able to manually change the prime movers RPM's up and down.......

Tom K.

Thanks Ed, I had completely forgotten about that feature.  Pressing F9 (if you haven't re-mapped it) does precisely that. I guess it would pay for me to look at the manuals every once in awhile!