Topics

Changing sound on a Titan-U

Jay Beckham

I have two Titans that were set up for steam.  I want to load the Alco sound into them for two RS3 I want sound in.

Can someone help me with this?   I do have the QSI programmer and the old web site with I guess sound files on it.

Thanks so much

Jay Beckham

My Blog https://jaysoscalelayout.blogspot.com/

Join us at JayOScaleLayout+subscribe@groups.io

Bruce Shanks

What you want to do is entirely possible.  I just changed an HO Titan from Steam to Diesel last week

The toughest part is getting the SiLabs driver for the Quantum Programmer installed in Win 10.  I had to take my new laptop back to the shop, and it it took the guru almost an hour.  He said he finally had to set up a separate account, load the driver and then transfer it into my account.

Be sure you have good solid connection from programmer to decoder, a decoder tester with a motor is recommended, bulbs don't give a good enough pulse for acknowledgments.

Go to the website.

https://shedaker.wixsite.com/shedaker/applications

Verify you have the latest copies of Quantum Upgrade and Quantum CV manager.  They're under software.

Then click Sound Files, and select the set of files for Q2-FX that match your scale (HO or Large).  Choosing the wrong one will make you a very unhappy railroader.

Assuming you want HO, on the bottom of the left hand column is "Onboard Library Files for Q2-FX Diesel" which is what you'll need to change from Steam to Diesel. The instructions are right there in a file named in green.  How To Load Q2-FX onboard library files   I'd suggest printing it out for reference later.

Download the Library file and the appropriate file for your prime mover.  Place them where  they will be easy to browse for when you need to put them in Quantum Upgrade.

Then it's just a matter of connecting the decoder to the computer using the programmer, and then firing up Quantum Upgrade to install the two files.  Once you have the files loaded you can use Upgrade cut&paste to tweak bell, whistle, etc to your liking.

Then use step 6 to upload the file to the decoder.  Assuming you are using a decoder tester, you then need to dismount the decoder and install it in the loco.

Don't forget to save a copy of your file for future tweaking.

Good Luck

Jay Beckham

Thanks so much.  One different perhaps is that I am in O Scale.

Jay

[...]

jimalbanowski

Jay:

Other than getting the programmer and software collected and set up O is no different.

Built several O sound decoders PRR electrics for a friend on the west coast.

With the size of the speakers for O... impressive...

Jim Albanowski

Bruce Shanks

Size does matter. Here we're typically talking G-scale versus all others.  If it's not shrink wrapped and has screw terminal strips, it's Large/G scale. although depending on space these can be shoe-horned into O scale. See:

https://shedaker.wixsite.com/shedaker/large-scale-sound-decoders

If it looks like an Atlas board, or has wire plugs on each narrow end it's HO.  Titan-A or Titan-U (Universal) respectively.

https://shedaker.wixsite.com/shedaker/ho-sound-and-power-decoders

Hope this helps

Bruce

Jay Beckham

I don't use the big one. The HO Titan will handle most O Scale engines.