Cab Forward performance improvement

Richard Stern <rstern1@...>

I have been unhappy with the slow speed response of my new BLI cab forward, and was wondering if anyone has tried putting a decoder in for separate control of the motor.  I am thinking of a Lenz 1025, which is pretty small. 

Any thoughts will be appreciated. 

rs

Ogden Lamont <ogdenj@...>

Mine seemed to smooth out after a little running, which would seem to indicate a mechanical cause, not the decoder.

Ogden Lamont

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 11:21 AM
Subject: [QSIndustries] Cab Forward performance improvement

I have been unhappy with the slow speed response of my new BLI cab forward, and was wondering if anyone has tried putting a decoder in for separate control of the motor.  I am thinking of a Lenz 1025, which is pretty small. 

rs

Nigel F Misso <nfmisso@...>

Richard;

Doing so will mess up the sound, because the characteristics of the sound are dependent on the load on the motor and its speed, and the only way for the QSI® system to know that is for it to control the motor.

Nigel F Misso

Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 1:21 PM

rs

Glen_Duke <Glen_Duke@...>

Are we sure that it won't work? I think Soundtraxx says that its (DSX) technology allows it to relate to the motor decoder's performance; maybe the same is true of QSI's sound technology.

I'd be willing to try with my BLI Mike but I need to know which wires (from tender to engine) control the motor. Does anyone out there know which wires are for headlight, pickup, and motor?

Glen Duke

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 4:20 PM
To: QSIndustries@...
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Cab Forward performance improvement

Richard;

Doing so will mess up the sound, because the characteristics of the sound are dependent on the load on the motor and its speed, and the only way for the QSI® system to know that is for it to control the motor.

Nigel F Misso

rs

Richard Stern <rstern1@...>

I don’t know enough about the Mike.  But I’m going to give it a try with the Cab Forward this weekend.  (Can’t do it sooner because of a scheduled operating session I’m trying to clean up the basement for this week ;-).  It looks like a real easy conversion on the AC… the motor wires come up through a little hole in a circuit board in the boiler and can easily be unsoldered, and it appears there is space for a small decoder (like the Lenz BEMF decoders I’m partial to).  At worst, I could put the decoder in the cab. 

This leaves another interesting question.  Once the motor drive is disconnected from the QSI decoder, why not use that to control smoke!  Then it wouldn’t be an “always on” situation, since the current smoke power supply is direct from the rails. 

Any comments?

rs

Sent:
Sunday, May 02, 2004 3:47 PM
Subject: RE: [QSIndustries] Cab Forward performance improvement

Are we sure that it won't work? I think Soundtraxx says that its (DSX) technology allows it to relate to the motor decoder's performance; maybe the same is true of QSI's sound technology.

I'd be willing to try with my BLI Mike but I need to know which wires (from tender to engine) control the motor. Does anyone out there know which wires are for headlight, pickup, and motor?

Glen Duke

Sent:
Saturday, May 01, 2004 4:20 PM

Richard;

Nigel F Misso

rs

Glen_Duke <Glen_Duke@...>

Good luck Richard. It'll be interesting to see if the sound generated is appropriate to motor performance.

By the way, isn't the Lenz 1025 a neat item?

Glen

Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 8:18 PM

I don’t know enough about the Mike.  But I’m going to give it a try with the Cab Forward this weekend.  (Can’t do it sooner because of a scheduled operating session I’m trying to clean up the basement for this week ;-).  It looks like a real easy conversion on the AC… the motor wires come up through a little hole in a circuit board in the boiler and can easily be unsoldered, and it appears there is space for a small decoder (like the Lenz BEMF decoders I’m partial to).  At worst, I could put the decoder in the cab. 

This leaves another interesting question.  Once the motor drive is disconnected from the QSI decoder, why not use that to control smoke!  Then it wouldn’t be an “always on” situation, since the current smoke power supply is direct from the rails. 

Any comments?

rs

Sent:
Sunday, May 02, 2004 3:47 PM

Glen Duke

Sent:
Saturday, May 01, 2004 4:20 PM

Richard;

Nigel F Misso

rs