BLI Northern

larmour@...

Hello all from Australia,

I have a BLI Santa Fe Northern (3751 naturally!) and the factory decoder has died.

I am planning to replace it with a Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder and patch it in to the existing wire harness between the loco and tender. To trace each wire means I will need to completely dismantle the loco, but if I can identify the function of each wire this will be an easy installation.

To help with the installation of the Tsunami does anyone have a diagram of the function of each electrical terminal in the harness between the loco and tender? Or does anyone know where I might find it?

Thank you in advance.

Philip Larmour

larmour@...

Ph 02 9538 1835

Mob 0407 191 299

Al

I know nothing about BLI locomotives but am well versed in decoders. So my question is how many pins are in the connector between loco and tender. There should be 2 wires for headlight if so equipped. 2 wires for the motor and one or 2 wires for the power pickup. Most steam locos pick up power on one side with the tender picking up the other side. Use a multimeter to check continuity between the wheels and the connector pins. For the motor check for a resistance between the connector pins. The decoder and speaker should be located in the tender. If you access that you should be able to trace the wires. There should wiring diagrams for both decoders.

Al Babinsky

Dave Pfeiffer

Philip,

The attached file is my notes from replacing the decoders in 2 first run BLI Reading T1’s.  These are old circuit boards, but they may not have changed much.

Dave Pfeiffer