Sent: 1/21/2021 4:09:45 PM
Subject: [QSIndustries] BLI Locomotive that won't move

I am brand new to the forum, and I recently acquired a BLI 2-8-2 steam locomotive (my first BLI, decorated as a Southern, #6326) at an estate sale.  I run DC on my layout, and understand that these locos will work on DC.  When I powered it up, it made all the steam/pumps/etc. sounds, but didn't move.  I contacted BLI, and they determined that the loco is over 15 years old, and QSI equipped.  I decided to buy a QSI Sidekick on ebay, and it works great (controls whistle and bell fine, but the loco still wouldn't move.  To make a long story short, BLI suggested I "reset" the loco, and I did so, using the remove/replace the black jumper method.  When I did this, I got three hoots from the whistle, which indicates that a reset was accomplished.  However, upon powering up again, no movement, but I did get some vague rumbling sounds from the loco.
BLI actually suggested that I pose my questions here on this forum, so I'm asking if anyone else had had a similar experience, and how did you resolve it?
Thanks!

Oh Bill. And how is that going to help? cvlwrnut: A name is nice. We are friends here. I do not recommend getting rid of a QSI. I have one that was a problem, and got it resolved. I may not be able to help you, but I'm sure there are others on this forum who can. When reset, it should have gone back to 03. Not your loco number. Did you try operating it on 03? If not, that's what you need to do. And after that, you can change back to the loco number. This is only a first step. After you try this, come on back.
Morgan F Bilbo, DCS50, UT4D, UR93, SPROGIIv4, JMRI 4.20, Pennsy modeler 1952

Andrew Deak

All

BLI  engines are known to have cracked gears. It is very easy to replace the gear and BLI has new gear for $1.00 plus shipping.  It will take about an hour to replace, you will need a wheel puller. Make sure you quarter the wheels (Make sure it in gage)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NWSL-Northwest-Short-Line-45-4-The-Puller-HO-Scale-Wheel-Driver-Gear-Puller-NIB/143891589366?hash=item21809b68f6:g:bC8AAOSwcLNe5P3G

Thanks

Andrew

[...]

michael DUNNINGTON

Thanks, Andrew. I was thinking maybe there was something wrong with the drive train because of the vague rumbling sounds. I’ll check in to that.
Michael

[...]

Name is Michael. Hope we can be friends.
Sounds like a lot of stuff to do if you’re running DCC; I’m not. I’m DC.
Anyway, I’m not giving up on my BLI locomotive.   Getting some good suggestions.
Thanks,
Michael

On Jan 21, 2021, at 9:29 PM, cvlwrnut@... wrote:

[...]

Michael: How about an update? Have you resolved the problem?
Morgan F Bilbo, DCS50, UT4D, UR93, SPROGIIv4, JMRI 4.20, Pennsy modeler 1952