BLI 2-8-2 Question

h8fan

I see that BLI is doing their Mikado in several roads, including
Chesapeake and Ohio. If the C&O model is as shown in their art on
their web site there are some major detail discrepancies that will
need to be taken care of by the modeler. I can handle reworking the
pumps and cab, my question here is, did QSI use railroad specific
sound samples for the different railroad's whistles?
Thanks
Jim Butler
www.sa-com.org

Pat Quinn <quinn1947@...>

Hi Jim,

You guys don't want much, do ya <g>. Actually, it is very refreshing
to see that this community cares about such details. QSI does
everything it can to ensure the sounds are correct for the engine
type. Pushing sound modeling down to the railroad level is something
that is hard to achieve given the demands for production and often-
difficult-to-find road-specific sound samples. Over time it can be
difficult to know what that even means if an engine begins life with
one railroad and ends up in the hands of another – modified by each
to suit their standards and spare parts. Anyway, I appreciate the
interest; we will keep this in mind. – Pat Quinn

--- In QSIndustries@yahoogroups.com, "h8fan" <butler_james@m...>
wrote:
I see that BLI is doing their Mikado in several roads, including
Chesapeake and Ohio. If the C&O model is as shown in their art on
their web site there are some major detail discrepancies that will
need to be taken care of by the modeler. I can handle reworking
the
pumps and cab, my question here is, did QSI use railroad specific
sound samples for the different railroad's whistles?
Thanks
Jim Butler
www.sa-com.org

Jeff Warner <jeff@...>

Pat:

FYI:  To many of us, the correct whistle for a locomotive is NOT a detail.  It is one of the first things we look for and one of the major criticisms of Soundtraxx -- they don't offer many choices and then they don't match eastern roads (PRR especially) very well.  You did a great job on the BLI M1 and T1 whistles!!!

Jeff

Pat Quinn wrote:

Hi Jim,

You guys don't want much, do ya . Actually, it is very refreshing

--- In QSIndustries@..., "h8fan"
wrote:
> I see that BLI is doing their Mikado in several roads, including
> Chesapeake and Ohio.  If the C&O model is as shown in their art on
> their web site there are some major detail discrepancies that will
> need to be taken care of by the modeler.  I can handle reworking
the
> pumps and cab, my question here is, did QSI use railroad specific
> sound samples for the different railroad's whistles?
> Thanks
> Jim Butler
> www.sa-com.org

h8fan

Pat,
Thanks for the quick response and honesty.
I can imagine how hard it would be to try to duplicate every whistle
or bell on every steam engine made. However, the whistle on the BLI
N&W engine is just great, so I and other railroad fans would like to
think that models of their favorite railroads engines would get the
same attention to detail. As Jeff pointed out, it is no small
detail. As far as sound goes, the whistle is probably the most
identifiable sound a steam engine can make. The C&O actually had
different sounding whistles for freight and passenger steam
locomotives, I'm sure other roads also had distinctive whistles.
While good sound recordings of the steamers in action may be hard to
come by, there are many collectors out there that have the actual
whistles. These whistles can be connected to steam or air sources to
make high quality sound samples for you to digitize and use. If this
is something QSI would like to look into I'm sure either the C&O
Historical Society or a group I belong to, the St. Albans C & O
Modelers Inc., would be willing to round up the whistle owners and
maybe even help with the recording. There are other historical
groups that would surly do the same for other roads.
Just my nickels worth for the day. Thanks again for being so active
here and for the product you offer the hobby.
Jim Butler
www.sa-com.org

--- In QSIndustries@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Quinn" <quinn1947@y...>

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

These whistles can be connected to steam or air sources to make high
quality sound samples for you to digitize and use.<
The sound of a steam whistle is very complex. First off it can't be
duplicated with air! First the cold whistle is warmed by the hot steam
which condenses causing the sound to change some. And it goes on. I'm sure
someone on this list could explain all the facets but I have forgotten.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Bryan

Pat,
In support of Jim's well-made points regarding distinctive loco sounds, that raises a question as regards the upcoming release of the SP AC-4/5's by BLI.  SP's AC's had a very distinctive air pump steam exhaust sound due to their small diameter steam exhausts pipes which had the ends cut off on an angle, somewhat resembling circus calliope pipes in minature - as a result, said steam exhausts actually "whistled" in addition to the normal "crump-crump" sounds of the working cross-compound air pumps.  Those distinctive "whistling" sounds have been recorded/featured by Pentrex on their video releases featuring the SP Cab-Forwards and are unforgettable to anyone who has ever heard them.  Question:  will the upcoming BLI  AC's have that distinctive air pump exhaust "whistling" sound incorporated?  I've pre-ordered a number of the engines and while I'm sure that I'll be happy with them even without the air pump steam exhaust "whistle", nevertheless it would be very nice to have that sound included/available.

As always, thanks for all the great dual function sound systems - QSI really makes a great product and thus makes a great hobby even better!!
Eric Berman

--- In QSIndustries@..., "Pat Quinn"
wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> You guys don't want much, do ya . Actually, it is very
refreshing
> to see that this community cares about such details. QSI does
> everything it can to ensure the sounds are correct for the engine
> type. Pushing sound modeling down to the railroad level is
something
> that is hard to achieve given the demands for production and often-
> difficult-to-find road-specific sound samples. Over time it can be
> difficult to know what that even means if an engine begins life
with
> one railroad and ends up in the hands of another modified by each
> to suit their standards and spare parts. Anyway, I appreciate the
> interest; we will keep this in mind.  Pat Quinn

Pat Quinn <quinn1947@...>

--- In QSIndustries@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Berman" <ecberman@e...>
wrote:
Oh yes - I'm quite familiar with that pump. I call it "the heartbeat
of America" <bg> It is actually a dual independent pump (it kinda
sounds like a heartbeat to me). I've got that. I recently got a
recording of the SP Cab forward and was able to make a good whistle
out of it. I think you will like what's in it.

I'm not saying I don't ever make mistakes (ha ha ha) - but, I do
understand the importance of getting the whistle and bell as accurate
as possible. It's great to hear from you guys. We do this for you. We
don't forget that.

I would be thrilled to get as much help as I can in getting these
sounds right. Anyone who has sound sources they can share will have a
warm spot in my heart. Thanks for the feedback - it's all good.
-Pat Quinn

wrote:
[...]

Once again, absolutely outstanding job!  I eagerly await delivery of my AC's.
Thanks,
Eric Berman
aka SPPalmdale

Oh yes - I'm quite familiar with that pump. I call it "the heartbeat
of America" It is actually a dual independent pump (it kinda
sounds like a heartbeat to me). I've got that. I recently got a
recording of the SP Cab forward and was able to make a good whistle
out of it. I think you will like what's in it.

I'm not saying I don't ever make mistakes (ha ha ha) - but, I do
understand the importance of getting the whistle and bell as accurate
as possible. It's great to hear from you guys. We do this for you. We
don't forget that.

I would be thrilled to get as much help as I can in getting these
sounds right. Anyone who has sound sources they can share will have a
warm spot in my heart. Thanks for the feedback - it's all good.
-Pat Quinn

> Pat,

> In support of Jim's well-made points regarding distinctive loco
sounds, that raises a question as regards the upcoming release of the
SP AC-4/5's by BLI.  SP's AC's had a very distinctive air pump steam
exhaust sound due to their small diameter steam exhausts pipes which
had the ends cut off on an angle, somewhat resembling circus calliope
pipes in minature - as a result, said steam exhausts
actually "whistled" in addition to the normal "crump-crump" sounds of
the working cross-compound air pumps.  Those distinctive "whistling"
sounds have been recorded/featured by Pentrex on their video releases
featuring the SP Cab-Forwards and are unforgettable to anyone who has
ever heard them.  Question:  will the upcoming BLI  AC's have that
distinctive air pump exhaust "whistling" sound incorporated?  I've
pre-ordered a number of the engines and while I'm sure that I'll be
happy with them even without the air pump steam exhaust "whistle",
nevertheless it would be very nice to have that sound
included/available.

> As always, thanks for all the great dual function sound systems -
QSI really makes a great product and thus makes a great hobby even
better!!
> Eric Berman

About the SP Cab Forward Pump:
There were two designs of the Cab Forward. One had a flat front and
the other had a bay-window type front. The flat-front design used
a "normal" type pump. The bay-window design used that "freaky heart-
beat" pump. The SP Cab Forward model that is iminent is the flat-
front design. So, of course, you can expect this model to come with
the "normal" pump. -Pat

wrote:
[...]

Service.

Bryan

Hello Pat,
Fair enough - unfortunately I can only accurately recall having heard the exhaust from an AC-11, however I'll have to go check one of my vintage SP VHS tapes shot live on film in the 1940's that I seem to remember seeing/hearing an AC-4/5 on.  Please just remember that when the modern "bay-window" version is released at some later date by BLI (or that eagerly anticipated day when QSI begins the sale of dual function decoders direct to the model rail public) that we SP railfans are really looking forward to the "heart beat" pump.  On another note, what about the results of the "user re-programmable" decoder poll?  As of this morning, out of 78 voters, 78 had voted "YES" to the concept!  QSI could/should take over the lead (and the market) in this regard.  I, for one, would be happy to subscribe to a service wherein we could download various sounds from a subscriber website and then upload them into both mobile and stationary decoders in order to custom-tailor sounds about my model railroad.  A "100%" reply to the poll can't be wrong!!!
Thanks for your continued good work.
Eric Berman
aka SPPalmdale

wrote:
> --- In QSIndustries@..., "Eric Berman"
> wrote:
> Oh yes - I'm quite familiar with that pump. I call it "the
heartbeat
> of America" It is actually a dual independent pump (it kinda
> sounds like a heartbeat to me). I've got that. I recently got a
> recording of the SP Cab forward and was able to make a good whistle
> out of it. I think you will like what's in it.
>
> I'm not saying I don't ever make mistakes (ha ha ha) - but, I do
> understand the importance of getting the whistle and bell as
accurate
> as possible. It's great to hear from you guys. We do this for you.
We
> don't forget that.
>
> I would be thrilled to get as much help as I can in getting these
> sounds right. Anyone who has sound sources they can share will have
> warm spot in my heart. Thanks for the feedback - it's all good.
> -Pat Quinn

> > Pat,
>

> > In support of Jim's well-made points regarding distinctive loco
> sounds, that raises a question as regards the upcoming release of
the
> SP AC-4/5's by BLI.  SP's AC's had a very distinctive air pump
steam
> exhaust sound due to their small diameter steam exhausts pipes
which
> had the ends cut off on an angle, somewhat resembling circus
calliope
> pipes in minature - as a result, said steam exhausts
> actually "whistled" in addition to the normal "crump-crump" sounds
of
> the working cross-compound air pumps.  Those
distinctive "whistling"
> sounds have been recorded/featured by Pentrex on their video
releases
> featuring the SP Cab-Forwards and are unforgettable to anyone who
has
> ever heard them.  Question:  will the upcoming BLI  AC's have that
> distinctive air pump exhaust "whistling" sound incorporated?  I've
> pre-ordered a number of the engines and while I'm sure that I'll be
> happy with them even without the air pump steam exhaust "whistle",
> nevertheless it would be very nice to have that sound
> included/available.
> >
> > As always, thanks for all the great dual function sound systems -
> QSI really makes a great product and thus makes a great hobby even
> better!!
> > Eric Berman

Service.

Pat Quinn <quinn1947@...>

I'm glad you are checking up on that SP-CF pump issue. I have looked
at lots of videos. It is just amazing how many of them have done some
occasional overdubbing of sounds. Hollywood movies often take huge
liberties regarding this. And to make matters more confusing,
equipment sometimes gets swapped out on engines. QSI will certainly
do the best we can. Ultimately, the importer has final say. I do want
to thank you for the effort to get this right - it is certainly a
central issue for us.

100% poll response mostly means the question is obvious. Like: "how
many people would like to win the lottery." One of the issues that
the offerer of an after-market sound system must face is how to
handle the large number of sound titles without keeping large
inventories of dedicated sound titles on the shelves of dealers.
Programming a "generic" product at the dealer's shop (or additionally
by the end user) is one approach. This issue is one of the things
that QSI will have to figure out before we are likely to begin an
after-market program. We are in the process of resolving this (and
other) issues. I know there is enthusiasm for an after-market Quantum.
-Pat Quinn

wrote:
[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

Jens Wulf \(WRF\) <jens.wulf@...>

100% poll response mostly means the question is obvious. Like: "how
many people would like to win the lottery." One of the issues that
the offerer of an after-market sound system must face is how to
handle the large number of sound titles without keeping large
inventories of dedicated sound titles on the shelves of dealers.
Programming a "generic" product at the dealer's shop (or additionally
by the end user) is one approach. This issue is one of the things
that QSI will have to figure out before we are likely to begin an
after-market program. We are in the process of resolving this (and
other) issues. I know there is enthusiasm for an after-market Quantum.
-Pat Quinn
well, ESU ( http://www.loksound.de/ ) had right upfront the idea that
they offer a set of sound-decoders tailored for size (and current load)
and pocket, and have the 2 to 8 sound-channels programmable, for what
you have to buy the "Lokprogrammer" which comes with some PC software.
You supply the .WAV files ... a lot of work to get that to work in sync ...
so easier to download the .ESU files and feed them into the decoders using
that LokProgrammer
http://www.loksound.de/index.php?showId=31
btw., can somebody evaluate the demos (were all channels are already combined
to a sampler)
generic steam
<http://www.loksound.de/download/sounds/50418_Demoablauf_Dampf_US-Universal.wav>
Mehano Mountain (anybody has this loco? in the US Mehano is sold by IHC)
<http://www.loksound.de/download/sounds/20402_Demoablauf_Mehano-Mountain.wav>
or a (European) GE diesel:
<http://www.loksound.de/download/sounds/20101_Demoablauf_Mehano-BlueTiger.wav>
or the NoHab/EMD F 567 type
<http://www.loksound.de/download/sounds/50423_Demoablauf_Diesel_US-FType.wav>

cheers/jw

Bryan

Rather than placing a "large number of ... dedicated sound titles on the shelves of dealers", I would rather have those sounds downloadable via the internet from an online QSI library to which we would all subscribe.  I'd gladly pay for that service and so would a lot of other model rails.
Eric Berman
aka SPPalmdale