Short Circuits

John M. Smith

Gentlemen,

My Broaday Limited SW7 contains a QSI Diesel Version 6 decoder, Firmware Build 12.

When starting out after reversing direction, the loco frequently short circuits momentarily. Is this a known issue, and is there a recommended fix?

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

Dave Hastings

I have an Atlas loco that did something similar, every time you reversed direction, it would short out and it got worse the more it ran, I bought the V7 chip and installed it, same thing. I contacted Kelly Dorf, he is on this forum, and he said send it to him, he will check it out, and he returned it working just fine. All it cost me was the initial postage. I also had a SW7 that would just quit, then start back up again, also getting worse as it ran. he fixed that one also. Contact him first, he may charge for this now.  
Dave Hastings

On Saturday, April 30, 2022, 06:09:42 PM EDT, John M. Smith <jmsmith87@...> wrote:

Gentlemen,

My Broaday Limited SW7 contains a QSI Diesel Version 6 decoder, Firmware Build 12.

When starting out after reversing direction, the loco frequently short circuits momentarily. Is this a known issue, and is there a recommended fix?

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

Marc Malnekoff

You need to get the newer version 7 chip and upgrade. Almost every version 6 I had did this. That chip with newer software fixed that.
Marc Malnekoff

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/30/22 5:09 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: QSIndustries@groups.io
Subject: [QSIndustries] Short Circuits

Gentlemen,

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

peteski7

There seems to be some confusion with terminology.
"Short circuit" implies an electrical problem when there is some very low resistance (close to zero Ohms) between the rails.  It is usually a physical problem with metal parts or defective electronic component.  I don't see how a certain version of the microcontroller chip on a decoder would not cause or fix a short circuit.

Can you describe the behavior when as you say there is "short circuit"?  How do you remedy the problem?  A short circuit should trip the circuit breaker in the DCC booster powering the rails (or trip the DCC circuit breaker that supplied power to the track).

Peteski

John M. Smith

The brief loco short circuit does trip the circuit breaker on the railroad. The breaker resets after about a second, and the loco then begins to move.

However, the test track breaker does not trip. The short circuit is very brief. I have not tried to measure the duration, but a small lamp clipped to the test track rails turns off for an instant.

John

On 4/30/2022 7:42 PM, peteski7 via groups.io wrote:

"Short circuit" implies an electrical problem when there is some very low resistance (close to zero Ohms) between the rails.  It is usually a physical problem with metal parts or defective electronic component.  I don't see how a certain version of the microcontroller chip on a decoder would not cause or fix a short circuit.

Can you describe the behavior when as you say there is "short circuit"?  How do you remedy the problem?  A short circuit should trip the circuit breaker in the DCC booster powering the rails (or trip the DCC circuit breaker that supplied power to the track).

Peteski

Dave Hastings

That is what my loco did, it actually shorted out the breaker in whatever district it was in  The breaker would reset power and the loco was fine until the direction was reversed again.

Dave Hastings

On Saturday, April 30, 2022, 08:56:51 PM EDT, John M. Smith <jmsmith87@...> wrote:

The brief loco short circuit does trip the circuit breaker on the railroad. The breaker resets after about a second, and the loco then begins to move.

However, the test track breaker does not trip. The short circuit is very brief. I have not tried to measure the duration, but a small lamp clipped to the test track rails turns off for an instant.

John

Peteski

Dave Luehr

Model Railroad Hobbyist online magazine (April) has an interesting article on shorts killing decoders:
Dave Luehr

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 8:03 PM Dave Hastings via groups.io <dave_hastings=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
That is what my loco did, it actually shorted out the breaker in whatever district it was in  The breaker would reset power and the loco was fine until the direction was reversed again.

Dave Hastings

On Saturday, April 30, 2022, 08:56:51 PM EDT, John M. Smith <jmsmith87@...> wrote:

John

>  

Peteski

peteski7

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 08:56 PM, John M. Smith wrote:

So it is a "real" short causing the breaker to trip.  I'm still not sure how upgrading the microcontroller chip on the decoder can fix the problem.  The only possibility I can think of would be if somehow all the transistors were turned on at the same time in the H-Bridge which powers the motors.  That would be putting quite a bit of load on the decoder's rectifier bridge and the H-Bridge transistors.

Peteski

John Burkhardt

John.

IMSC – way back when I had some BLIs doing the same. But what I’m not sure is whether it was before or after I upgraded the CPU. However the immediate solution at the time was to ensure that CV03 & 04 had a value > 14(?*) programmed. It was suggested that the motor in those old nits had an usually high current draw spike at SS1 that overloads the DCS’ overload protection.

Not sure about the value but as we used these units in our operating sessions for shunting zero acc/dec was set originally

John Burkhardt

South Africa,

where the sun always shines,

and Steam still reigns!

From: QSIndustries@groups.io [mailto:QSIndustries@groups.io] On Behalf Of John M. Smith
Sent: Saturday, 30 April 2022 23:02
To: QSIndustries@groups.io

Gentlemen,

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

--
John Burkhardt
South Africa
Where the sun always shines
and Steam still reigns!

John M. Smith

Thanks, Marc. The V7 chip has been ordered.

John

On 4/30/2022 6:55 PM, Marc Malnekoff wrote:

You need to get the newer version 7 chip and upgrade. Almost every version 6 I had did this. That chip with newer software fixed that.
Marc Malnekoff

Gentlemen,

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

Wil Davis

I have four engines that came with Ver 6 chips and had various peculiar traits.  I have upgraded all to Ver 7 and the problems I had are gone.  I also have a Ver 7 chip for heavy steam that I would part with for $10 plus shipping (Iordered the wrong one).  Paypal preferred, but will accept any legal tender, no BitCoin pleease.

Wil Davis

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 10:03 AM John M. Smith <jmsmith87@...> wrote:

John

Marc Malnekoff

Gentlemen,

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

John M. Smith

Wil,

If that chip is correct for my BLI 2-10-4, I'd like to get it. I will check today.

John
Germantown

On 5/3/2022 10:50 AM, Wil Davis wrote:

I have four engines that came with Ver 6 chips and had various peculiar traits.  I have upgraded all to Ver 7 and the problems I had are gone.  I also have a Ver 7 chip for heavy steam that I would part with for $10 plus shipping (Iordered the wrong one).  Paypal preferred, but will accept any legal tender, no BitCoin pleease.

Wil Davis

John

Marc Malnekoff

Gentlemen,

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

John M. Smith

Wil,

I wasn't able to find out whether your V7 chip is correct for my 2-10-4, but for that price, I'll buy it, anyway. It may work fine.

John

Wil Davis

John

Marc Malnekoff

Gentlemen,

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

Wil Davis

Okay, I will find it so I can verify. I have a pair of 2-8-2s and it wasn't the right chip for those.

Wil

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 5:37 PM John M. Smith <jmsmith87@...> wrote:
Wil,

If that chip is correct for my BLI 2-10-4, I'd like to get it. I will check today.

John
Germantown

Wil Davis

John

Marc Malnekoff

Gentlemen,

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio