Short Circuits

John M. Smith

Gentlemen,

My Broaday Limited SW7 contains a QSI Diesel Version 6 decoder, Firmware Build 12.

When starting out after reversing direction, the loco frequently short circuits momentarily. Is this a known issue, and is there a recommended fix?

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

Dave Hastings

I have an Atlas loco that did something similar, every time you reversed direction, it would short out and it got worse the more it ran, I bought the V7 chip and installed it, same thing. I contacted Kelly Dorf, he is on this forum, and he said send it to him, he will check it out, and he returned it working just fine. All it cost me was the initial postage. I also had a SW7 that would just quit, then start back up again, also getting worse as it ran. he fixed that one also. Contact him first, he may charge for this now.
Dave Hastings

On Saturday, April 30, 2022, 06:09:42 PM EDT, John M. Smith <jmsmith87@...> wrote:

Gentlemen,

My Broaday Limited SW7 contains a QSI Diesel Version 6 decoder, Firmware Build 12.

When starting out after reversing direction, the loco frequently short circuits momentarily. Is this a known issue, and is there a recommended fix?

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

Marc Malnekoff

You need to get the newer version 7 chip and upgrade. Almost every version 6 I had did this. That chip with newer software fixed that.
Marc Malnekoff

From: "John M. Smith" <jmsmith87@...>
Date: 4/30/22 5:09 PM (GMT-06:00)

Gentlemen,

My Broaday Limited SW7 contains a QSI Diesel Version 6 decoder, Firmware Build 12.

When starting out after reversing direction, the loco frequently short circuits momentarily. Is this a known issue, and is there a recommended fix?

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

Wil Davis

I have four engines that came with Ver 6 chips and had various peculiar traits.  I have upgraded all to Ver 7 and the problems I had are gone.  I also have a Ver 7 chip for heavy steam that I would part with for $10 plus shipping (Iordered the wrong one).  Paypal preferred, but will accept any legal tender, no BitCoin pleease.

Wil Davis

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 10:03 AM John M. Smith <jmsmith87@...> wrote:
Thanks, Marc. The V7 chip has been ordered.

John

On 4/30/2022 6:55 PM, Marc Malnekoff wrote:
You need to get the newer version 7 chip and upgrade. Almost every version 6 I had did this. That chip with newer software fixed that.
Marc Malnekoff

My Broaday Limited SW7 contains a QSI Diesel Version 6 decoder, Firmware Build 12.

When starting out after reversing direction, the loco frequently short circuits momentarily. Is this a known issue, and is there a recommended fix?

Best regards,
John
Germantown, Ohio

John M. Smith

Wil,

If that chip is correct for my BLI 2-10-4, I'd like to get it. I will check today.

John
Germantown

On 5/3/2022 10:50 AM, Wil Davis wrote:

[...]

I wasn't able to find out whether your V7 chip is correct for my 2-10-4, but for that price, I'll buy it, anyway. It may work fine.

John

[...]

Okay, I will find it so I can verify. I have a pair of 2-8-2s and it wasn't the right chip for those.

Wil