QSI Revolution -U decoder corrupt firmware

Alex Stanojevic

Hello all,
I had a mishap while attempting to change horn type in mu P2K GP30 diesel equipped with QSI Revolution-U decoder.

Decoder was running sound file 1100-1000V8-9-8.q2. I attempted to upload 1100 400V8.3.0.q2 file with Leslie S5-T horn.

I was using Quantum Upgrade software on a win10 professional PC. In the process of uploading something unusual happened. A window indicating progress of upload disappeared from the screen shortly after the process started. Quantum Programmer continued to blink green. After a while I decided to reset Quantum Programmer. Previously I checked for compatibility and it was given a pass.

Once I got the programmer running again, system could not recognize the decoder. It would stop at 40% stating Invalid MFG ID 0.

Is there a quick way to refresh decoder firmware. Using reset to factory default did not work. Otherwise I will have to send it back to Kelly Dorf.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

John Burkhardt

Alex,

Don’t feel lonely – I’ve got a whole bunch of OEM Q1 decoders piling up from customers who asked to replace the QSI with TS2. The decoder worked perfectly in the loco and as soon as I put them on the programmer via my ESU test stand I get this weird message   saying it Invalid MFG ID!

I dearly would like to know too how to get these decoders woken up again as currently our cheapest postage to the US is R1080 = US$80

Thanks and warm regards,

John Burkhardt

South Africa

where the sun always shines,

and steam still reigns!

--
John Burkhardt
South Africa

Alex Stanojevic

Hello again,

After going back to the steps used to change sound file on Revolution-U, I am wondering if Windows 10 is the main culprit. It is possible that USB driver and Quantum Programmer program need to be updated to match latest version of Windows 10. Heads up!

Regards

Alex

On Nov 13, 2021, at 14:49, John Burkhardt <burkhj@...> wrote:

[...]

kelly dorf

Hi John.
When you are using the programmer on a board that is NOT in the engine, you still have to connect a motor to the decoder.
The decoder "bumps" the motor and then waits for a return spike. This return spike is an "ACK" which tells the programmer the instruction was  received.

Kelly
QSI

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 11:49 AM John Burkhardt <burkhj@...> wrote:

[...]

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

This is a good use of a decoder tester. These have a motor and speaker with connections for the decoder and "track" power. Sometimes many different connections for the decoder. Although you only use one of course:)
Such boards are available from ESU and others. Or, You can build one yourself.

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@...

On 14November2021, at 17:12, kelly dorf <kelly.dorf@...> wrote:

Hi John.
When you are using the programmer on a board that is NOT in the engine, you still have to connect a motor to the decoder.
The decoder "bumps" the motor and then waits for a return spike. This return spike is an "ACK" which tells the programmer the instruction was received.

Kelly
QSI
--
Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and 35n42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@...

John Burkhardt

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your response, but I’m sure you know that the ESU decoder test stand simulates a locomotive including motor as well as now functions up to Aux4.

As I stated earlier I run the loco on the layout, take the shell off, clip all the leads and connect them to the screw terminals on the decoder test stand, switch on the QSI programmer, trying to read the decoder for the file loaded and get the same message as the OP stating that it can’t read the MFG ID.

If our SAPO would be still in operation I would have mailed them back to you long time ago but had to wait till someone is travelling to the US who would carry the package to mail with ]in the US. So expect a parcel for Christmas with a bunch of dud QSI decoders – just in case you get bored over the festive season!<VBG>

Thanks and warm regards,

John Burkhardt

South Africa

where the sun always shines,

and steam still reigns!

[...]

kjlovesya

Hi John,

  When you switched on the QSI programmer, did you have everything else disconnected?  That is to say, was the other DCC source(s) removed from the circuit; only the QSI programmer direct to the QSI decoder was physically connected?

John and Alex,

   Gerry Pruss mentioned something to me years ago.  I think it may have been similar to your issue.  If you are having trouble reading the decoder in the first page of Quantum programming; there is a pull down menu at the top left.   I think he mentioned something about 'forced'?

  Before shipping them all the way, try the pull down menu and see if you find something like that.   It's worth a try.

Alex Stanojevic

Hi KJ,

Thanks for the heads up. When I selected “forced” option, program asked for Wand to be put over the top. It did not help, program reported MFG ID 0 and did not continue.

My opinion is that upgrade software had an issue related to USB driver. It was some kind of interrupt created by Windows that stopped upgrade via USB driver. It is unfortunate that the interrupt came shortly after the decoder flash memory was erased in preparation for new file download.

There may be some issue with Windows 10 and the fact that several programs are automatically seeking COM port number at the startup.

Regards

Alex

On Nov 16, 2021, at 11:18, kjlovesya via groups.io <kjlovesya@...> wrote:

Hi John,

  When you switched on the QSI programmer, did you have everything else disconnected?  That is to say, was the other DCC source(s) removed from the circuit; only the QSI programmer direct to the QSI decoder was physically connected?

John and Alex,

   Gerry Pruss mentioned something to me years ago.  I think it may have been similar to your issue.  If you are having trouble reading the decoder in the first page of Quantum programming; there is a pull down menu at the top left.   I think he mentioned something about 'forced'?

  Before shipping them all the way, try the pull down menu and see if you find something like that.   It's worth a try.

Donald Goveas

Hello Alex,

Have you tried logging in as 'Administrator' in Win10 and carrying on the upgrade.
Just a thought.
Regards

Donald

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 1:46 AM Alex Stanojevic <stanoja2@...> wrote:
[...]

I look forward to my Christmas present.

Kelly
QSI

kjlovesya

Hi Alex,

  It's been quite a while since I did the operation.   I think the forced option request (asking for the Wand) is the equivalent of putting the reset to ground.   The pink wire on the Revolution is for Reed.  This wire is actually the reset of the micro-controller.   By temporarily connecting the Reed to GND (pink wire to black w/ white striped wire) you effectively 'hold the magnetic wand over the reed switch'.  You can verify this on the page 7 diagram in the Revolution U installation documentation.

Alex Stanojevic

Donald,

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked my settings. As a single user I am set as administrator.

Should I open QSI Quantum Upgrade by right clicking on the icon and selecting “open as administrator”?

Regards

Alex

On Nov 16, 2021, at 23:56, Donald Goveas <goveas.donald@...> wrote:

[...]

KJ,

That explains why I could not locate reed switch on the board. I missed the part on page 7 talking about reset. Its been a while since I installed Revolution-U decoder.

I am still puzzled with dropping out of the program. Many vendors issue a warning to the end user not to interrupt the process(keep power on) while updating firmware. This is the first time the program dropped out.

Regards

Alex

On Nov 17, 2021, at 11:36, kjlovesya via groups.io <kjlovesya@...> wrote:

Hi Alex,

  It's been quite a while since I did the operation.   I think the forced option request (asking for the Wand) is the equivalent of putting the reset to ground.   The pink wire on the Revolution is for Reed.  This wire is actually the reset of the micro-controller.   By temporarily connecting the Reed to GND (pink wire to black w/ white striped wire) you effectively 'hold the magnetic wand over the reed switch'.  You can verify this on the page 7 diagram in the Revolution U installation documentation.

Something else came to mind regarding the use of Quantum programming software.   If you have a keep alive type device on your decoder it must be disconnected before programming.

Alex Stanojevic

KJ,

I think you are correct. Point well taken.  Before uploading new sound file I examined the decoder. To my surprise keep alive capacitor was soldered to the middle of the board and contacts  covered with heat shrink tube. So I decided not to remove the cap. Also the cap is 470uF. I believe that  ZIMO recommends not to remove smaller caps while re programming. Interestingly enough I did not see any word in the manual recommending cap removal while updating sound file.

That decoder was CAN$170 and I got it used for CAN$130 + 13% tax. Too expensive to experiment with.

We shall see what Kelly will be able to do with it.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Alex

On Nov 17, 2021, at 19:25, kjlovesya via groups.io <kjlovesya@...> wrote:

Something else came to mind regarding the use of Quantum programming software.   If you have a keep alive type device on your decoder it must be disconnected before programming.

John Burkhardt

Dear Kelly,

Compliments of the season to you and all ad QSI!

Unfortunately there had to be a change of plan to get these 9 decoders to the US, as the travel ban scuppered the original plan. We sent a number of items/packages consolidated in one package to a friend (ex South African) living in Henderson Texas, from where he sent the packages to the individual companies by Priority-Class Mail.

The tracking number for the package to QSI is 9500 1102 3798 1361 5367 27

According to the postal slip it is due for delivery Beaverton on 12/31/2021

Warm Regards,

John Burkhardt

P O Box 8712

Edenglen