Decoders

Leonard Stern

TO: Dave and others; I have been reading these posts and wish to clear up some understandings.

When Broadway LTD introduced sound some many years ago they used QSI decoders version 1 to 7 . BLI for economy or other reasons introduced their own priority decoders and called then Paragon 2, then 3,then 4 .
These decoders are not produced by QSI and have completely different manuals that QSI decoders use.

The discussion recently has really got off the rails.

For non-believers, I suggest you call Broadway and get the info from them. They will confirm what I stated in the paragraph above.

Thank you for reading this Email.

Leonard Stern
Home of the Montreal Belt Line

Thanks Leonard. I thought I was clearer than you think. And yes, you are totally correct. However. When anyone contacts BLI about those old QSI decoders as used in the PRR PCM L1sa Decapod, BLI responds that they have nothing to do with them anymore and they will not give you/or me any pertinent info. The ONLY source for QSI is this forum. And as you've noticed, my original problem was not diagnosed as a Digitrax bug until the last few days. I admit I didn't contact Digitrax about this, thinking it was a decoder problem. And for that I apologize. In my defense, when we think back upon it. If I had contacted Digitrax, do you honestly think they would admit to it being their bug? Somehow, I doubt. And if it hadn't been for Nick Kulp's solution, I and the rest of us - would never have solved this - looking only at SPROG and JMRI.
Morgan F Bilbo, DCS50, UT4D, UR93, SPROGIIv4, JMRI 4.24, Pennsy modeler 1952

peteski7

Well Morgan,
Um, if you did try using the SPROG (or any other brand DCC system) to test the F1, you would have quickly discovered that the decoder was functioning properly. As I mentioned, those who understand how DCC works, know that whether a Function is latching or non-latching is a function of the DCC system, not the decoder. That is an indisputable fact we tried to convince you about.

I own few of  BLI N scale locos with Paragon decoders, and even a quick glance at their functionality I can tell that they have absolutely no relation to QSI design.  Paragon are fairly simplistic decoders, with limited configuration capability. Even simple functions like the headlight, cannot be configured to operate in a realistic manner. But this is not the forum for that discussion.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 12:18 PM, PennsyNut wrote:
And if it hadn't been for Nick Kulp's solution, I and the rest of us - would never have solved this - looking only at SPROG and JMRI.

Dave Hastings

That's what I said to John. I know BLI went their separate way from QSI, It was more for economy for them to do their own decoders. Remember the Blue Line, they sorta sucked but it was their own sound.

Dave Hastings

On Friday, August 13, 2021, 11:16:50 AM EDT, Leonard Stern via groups.io <printmore1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

TO: Dave and others; I have been reading these posts and wish to clear up some understandings.

When Broadway LTD introduced sound some many years ago they used QSI decoders version 1 to 7 . BLI for economy or other reasons introduced their own priority decoders and called then Paragon 2, then 3,then 4 .

These decoders are not produced by QSI and have completely different manuals that QSI decoders use.

The discussion recently has really got off the rails.

For non-believers, I suggest you call Broadway and get the info from them. They will confirm what I stated in the paragraph above.

Thank you for reading this Email.

Leonard Stern

Home of the Montreal Belt Line

Since this thread is now on "decoders". And your comments are on BLI as well as QSI. I will say this. From what I can tell, and makes sense. Is just what Dave alluded to. That BLI wanted to cheapen the decoder. Apparently QSI charged them too much. ?? And BLI thought they could do "just as well". And as we all know, they didn't. In fact, BLI has finally gotten to P 4. And I expect them to be at a P5 within a year. What do they think we are? Rich? I already have 4 P2. When I got the P3, I thought it was supposed to be better. And we find out, it still has bugs. In the forums that are not specifically BLI, there are a lot of people upset with them. For locos costing $400, you'd expect a better decoder. I am satisfied enough with mine, but as you said - you can't get the headlight to stay on whether forward or backward. Proto PRR had the headlight on all the time. And with all my BLI PRR steam, I can't do that. Very poor choice by BLI. Especially when they had the PRRTHS support when they produced the first I1 Decapod. I was part of the few that reviewed DeGolyer's library to research the Decapods for details. So that BLI could produce a great I1. And then, they had the P2 which could be better. Maybe this P4 is better. But I am not about to buy any more locos. So I'll never know. And as we on this forum agree, QSI is a great decoder. Sure wish it were smaller for N scale, even though I'm HO. I would think a nice one for a diesel switcher/obviously small with a speaker, would be a great seller.
--
Morgan F Bilbo, DCS50, UT4D, UR93, SPROGIIv4, JMRI 4.24, Pennsy modeler 1952

For some strange reason, I must have hit the subject with a "Q". And this thread transferred to that. I apologize. And this problem is solved. The solution was in JMRI. And just goes to show us that when someone/namely me, is ignorant of computers, the answer can escape most of us. So I must thank everyone and by no means, am criticizing anyone. Everyone on these forums are wonderful and helpful.
Morgan F Bilbo, DCS50, UT4D, UR93, SPROGIIv4, JMRI 4.24, Pennsy modeler 1952