Q1a decoders shut down

Ray Di Ciacca

I wonder why QSI does not know that.
Ray

Banjotrain

My problem was I was using one 8 ohm speaker, whereas these decoders should use two 8 ohms in series which is 16 ohms.
When I added the second speaker, the problem went away.
Erik

Ray Di Ciacca

I have the same problem. Can you tell me how to fix it. thanks
Ray

Bob Anthonyson

Okay, didn’t realize they were on a tester. 😁

Bob

On Feb 27, 2021, at 6:37 AM, Banjotrain via groups.io <bennettedm@...> wrote:

I was testing them on a decoder tester and had been testing some Titans.
When I tested the Q1a's I forgot that they needed a 16 ohm speaker load.  My mate, Marcus, reminded me.
So I hooked up 2 speakers in series and all the decoders tested OK.

Thanks for your input.
Erik

Banjotrain

I was testing them on a decoder tester and had been testing some Titans.
When I tested the Q1a's I forgot that they needed a 16 ohm speaker load.  My mate, Marcus, reminded me.
So I hooked up 2 speakers in series and all the decoders tested OK.

Thanks for your input.
Erik

Bob Anthonyson

Erik,

Have you checked your wheels?  These are often the symptoms of dirty wheels or dirty track.

Bob

On Feb 26, 2021, at 5:37 PM, Banjotrain via groups.io <bennettedm@...> wrote:

I have several Q1a decoders that sound and run perfectly for a little while then shut down abruptly - both sound and motion.
Then after a few seconds, continue normally for a while then shut down again with the cycle repeating ad infinitum.

I presume it is a hardware heat detection problem.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks
Erik

Banjotrain