wiring diagram

Paul B/Indy

Good day. I have purchased a new (from QSI) Titan-U decoder with Winton 201a sound. However, there was no information of any kind sent with it, and the mass of wires emanating from the end are intimidating to me. I have looked on both the QSI site and this Group IO site, and I do find Titan-A, but not U, diagrams. Can anyone help me with what the wires control?

It has a normal 8 pin plug on the input side. No issue there.

TIA

Paul Brown
Indy

PS - I did find the 468 page manual, but it has no wiring diagram that I found

michael DUNNINGTON

Paul and others:
Update — yesterday I found out that the previous owner apparently programmed my locomotive so it WOULD NOT work on DC. A friend who runs DCC fixed that for me, and loco ran fine for me when I got home. However, today I’m having issues again. I’ll keep trying. At least, I found out it doesn’t have a cracked gear.
Michael

On Jan 31, 2021, at 4:57 PM, Paul B/Indy <atsfpb@gmail.com> wrote:

Good day. I have purchased a new (from QSI) Titan-U decoder with Winton 201a sound. However, there was no information of any kind sent with it, and the mass of wires emanating from the end are intimidating to me. I have looked on both the QSI site and this Group IO site, and I do find Titan-A, but not U, diagrams. Can anyone help me with what the wires control?

It has a normal 8 pin plug on the input side. No issue there.

TIA

Paul Brown
Indy

PS - I did find the 468 page manual, but it has no wiring diagram that I found

Ed.Sauers <dockside98@...>

Paul,

It's there, try this link. then select the install guide.

https://shedaker.wixsite.com/shedaker/revolution-era-documents

Once there select the product tab, then select HO sound and power decoder,

you want the install guide.

Ed Sauers

Ed Sauers

On 1/31/2021 4:39 PM, Paul B/Indy wrote:
Good day.  I have purchased a new (from QSI) Titan-U decoder with Winton 201a sound.  However, there was no information of any kind sent with it, and the mass of wires emanating from the end are intimidating to me.  I have looked on both the QSI site and this Group IO site, and I do find Titan-A, but not U, diagrams.  Can anyone help me with what the wires control?

It has a normal 8 pin plug on the input side.  No issue there.

TIA

Paul Brown
Indy

PS - I did find the 468 page manual, but it has no wiring diagram that I found

Lou

Check your email. Lou

On 1/31/2021 6:43 PM, Ed.Sauers via groups.io wrote:

[...]

kelly dorf

Hi Guys,

Here it is.

Kelly
QSI

Paul B/Indy

Sweet!  Thanks to all y’all for the help!  Great group!

Paul

On Jan 31, 2021, at 8:43 PM, kelly dorf <kelly.dorf@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Here it is.

Kelly
QSI <Quantum Titan FX-U WIRING DIAGRAM.pdf>

Nick

 Paul,

The wiring diagram is on the shedaker web page. I suggest you download the PDF Installation guide.
https://209775f7-f46c-4729-9d78-7cc0c3414b15.filesusr.com/ugd/0f7119_a38d120ba23640d5878a0849026aee26.pdf

The Titan manual has a complete explanation of the wiring with colors. The "normal" P1 connector side with the 8-pin DCC plug is the DCC standard for every decoder that follows NMRA standards, The second harness has the 4 speaker wires for the Stereo outputs and lighting and function outputs. The wire colors like Violet / Red are a BASE color of Violet and a TRACE color of Red.

The "Ports" are lighting / Function outputs so if you use P1 Purple and P1 Blue, the output would be a 14 VDC (or higher) output. If you use  P1 Purple and P2 Red / White, you have a 5 VDC output. This is what most folks use for LEDs with the appropriate resistor. If you use the Blue output, the LED becomes a flashbulb.

One word of caution. When wiring up your decoder, be VERY careful of the speaker wires. If you have power to the rails and one of them touches the rail while the decoder is connected to the loco, The end result will be a nasty smell, lots of smoke, occasionally some flames, and a worthless decoder with a hole in it. Don't ask how I know this. Any unused port wires should be clipped so NO bare wire is exposed at the end, especially if you are installing the decoder in a BRASS loco. Brass or metal frames are great conductors. Kapco tape is your friend. Wrap the ends during the installation and testing.

P1 wiring

RED = Right Rail
Black = Left Rail
Orange = Motor (+)
Gray = Motor (-)
Yellow = Rear light (-)
White = Front Light (-)
Blue = DCC (+) (14V or higher)
Green = Port 3
Purple = Port 4

P2 Wiring

Violet / Red = Speaker 1 (+)
Violet / Black = Speaker 1 (-)
Violet / Green = Speaker 2 (-)
Violet / Yellow = Speaker 2 (+)
White / Green = Port 5
White / Blue = Port 6
White / Violet = Port 7
White / Grey = Port 8
Orange / White = Port 9
Yellow / White = Port 10
Red / White = +5V for LED output
Tan = Chuff Cam
Pink = Hard reset for reed switch
Black / White = Ground

Regards,
Nick Kulp
QSI Beta Tester since the beginning.

kjlovesya

Hi Paul,

  I highly recommend first downloading and reading the smaller Revolution - U User's manual.   Many of the Titan connections are the same as the Revolution's connections.   I find, for someone new to QSI, it a little less complicated.  The knowledge base can then be built upon with the added information from the other manuals.

  Also, Nick mentioned the blue wire.   Technically, the unregulated blue wire (most people call it +12 Volts) is whatever track voltage minus the voltage drop of a full wave bridge rectifier (1.4 Volts).   Our club has it's track voltage set at 12 Volts so the actual voltage on the unregulated blue wire is 12 - 1.4 = 10.6 Volts.   Since it's unregulated, if the track voltage wavers the blue wire voltage wavers as well.

  The red with white striped wire is a regulated (steady) + 5 Volts.

Have fun!

KJ